1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you were the Rockets, what info would you leak?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tuk88, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

Imagine you're in the Rockets meeting room - there is no way you're not discussing what is leaked and what isn't as part of the draft preparation.

If I wanted to pull off a trade similar to Atlanta trading the #3 for #5 with Dallas in 2018 for what became a #10 in 2019 (who the players ended up becoming is not the point of this), how would I stage that?

If I had intel that the Cavs really want Green while we prefer Mobley, I would leak that we plan to take Green, thus compelling the Cavs to trade.
    If I had intel that the Cavs really want Mobley while we prefer Green, I would leak that we plan to take Mobley, thus compelling the Cavs to trade.

If the Cavs knew the Rockets wanted one player and the Cavs preferred the other, then a trade is either less necessary or unnecessary.

I personally noticed a shift in the media from the Rockets preferring Mobley to the Rockets preferring Green... if I were the Cavs and I preferred Mobley, then stand pat. If the Cavs preferred Green (just as the media is saying the Rockets prefer Cunningham), then I'm pursuing trade possibilities. Notice how most of the media looks at scenarios of Mobley playing in Cleveland and of Green playing in Houston. That's just what the Rockets want if they prefer Mobley.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

When was the Rockets preferring Mobley ever a thing? Green has always been the frontrunner to go 2nd.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If the Cavs knew we wanted to take the same player as them, you'd have to tread those leaks carefully because in the Cavs' Front Office, they'd be questioning why we would willfully hand that player to them in a trade up.

If you found out the Cavs were deadset on Mobley, the correct thing to do would be to leak that a team like OKC was also, and was willing to give up multiple future picks to come and get him. That entices the Cavs to give up a minimally protected first next year (as minimally as possible), and we slide back a slot and still get our guy.

Not dissimilar to what is going on with Cade right now. That's why you have to draw the line somewhere on what you'd give up for him. You cannot say you want him at all costs. Secretly, Detroit could be liking Green more than Cade and could be just trying to extract max value out of the first pick. There's a (highly unlikely) scenario where they're taking Green all the way, and are just trying to get extra picks. Let it be known where your line in the sand is and do not cross it no matter what.

The Rockets should be wanting to do the same thing with Cleveland. That's why it's still "up in the air" on who (or where) we're drafting.

#3 Two Sandwiches, Jul 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

If trading up for Cade is unrealistic and taking Green is the intention, then you absolutely give Cleveland every indication you either A) plan to take the guy they want (likely Mobley) or B) what @EddieWasSnubbed was saying — leak that another team is in the mix.

A future first or a player like Okoro could be a realistic get to acquire the player we wanted all along.

D-rock, Nook, saleem and 1 other person like this.
  5. xaos

xaos Member

That Cade doesn't want to play for Detroit, but doesn't want the public to know because he doesn't want to seem like a diva

6. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That’s a dangerous game to play just to acquire garbage like Okoro.

napalm06 and coachbadlee like this.
  7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Toronto allegedly wants Mobley too.
    Okoro needs time. He isn't garbage. I do prefer a future first over him though.

D-rock and baller4life315 like this.
  8. baller4life315

No it’s not. Worst case scenario: Cleveland doesn’t buy it, we stand pat at #2 and take the player we wanted all along (Green).

And Okoro is 20 and a top 5 pick in last year’s draft.

9. saleem

Will Detroit figure that out?

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  10. theDude

Supporting Member

Actually, worst case scenario is Cleveland does take and then takes the player we wanted.

And just because someone else made a mistake drafting Okoro too high, it doesn’t make him more attractive to me.

11. baller4life315

Your logic makes no sense. The entire motivation behind a Houston/Cleveland swap is Houston leveraging the threat they might take Cleveland’s guy (Mobley). It would be grossly negligent of Stone and our front office to so badly misread this as a trade up attempt to get Green by Cleveland.

Not happening.

12. theDude

Supporting Member

You are expecting Cleveland to fall for the same thing that you say would be impossible for the Rockets to do.

13. baller4life315

The Rockets have all the leverage, it’s not the same thing. This shouldn’t require further explanation. You only make this play if you’re the Rockets if you know what Cleveland is going to do.

14. Denovo

Denovo Member

I wouldn’t leak anything it would be a waste of time.

Cleveland is fine taking Green or Mobley, they have no reason to trade up. Just pick who you want.

No need for the mental gymnastics.

napalm06 likes this.
  15. CCorn

CCorn Member

That tilman is selling the team. Then perhaps players would want to play for us.

clos4life and tycoonchip like this.
  16. xaos

xaos Member

Yeah it was a dumb idea by me that I just typed without thinking at all haha

17. DonatelloLimestone

Yea its a subtle game, but us leaking that oladipo has first round pick offers to woj may not have been right. so if we do it, we better do it right knowing its a relationship league

saleem likes this.
  18. saleem

You might be right ! Don't underestimate yourself.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Never, but...

The way I remember it, Mobley was the presumptive #2 before the draft order was set. It seemed to go: Cade, Mobley, Green, Suggs, Kuminga. So once we got the 2nd pick, I saw a few mocks that had us taking Mobley because he was long considered the #2 guy. That has since changed to Green.

I don't think Rockets have ever been linked to Mobley directly; it was just that he was the #2 guy and we had the #2 pick... so some mock drafters just made that connection.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  20. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Eric Gordon is on a new diet and in the best shape of his life

*wink*