1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Major

Major Member

The solution is really simple - the political will may not be there, but if you want to save lives you do what Israel, France, and others are doing:

Israel: Beginning Aug. 8, people will have to show proof of vaccination or provide negative COVID-19 tests to attend events and enter public places such as movie theaters, synagogues, amusement parks, sports games or activities with more than 100 people.

France: For the next month, the new COVID-19 pass is required at entry for any leisure activity where more than 50 people are gathered. The pass can be paper or digital and contains a person's vaccination certificate or negative COVID-19 test. Leisure activities or tourist venues include museums, movie theaters, swimming pools, festivals, theme parks, shopping malls, bars, cafés, restaurants and concerts.

When France initially announced their new policy, it was met with two things: lots of street protests, and a huge surge in vaccination appointments.

cheke64 and Garner like this.
  2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

It's actually a St.Luke's policy.

Deckard likes this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

cheke64 likes this.
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jontro likes this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

One general failure of communicating risk is the binary status of Covid implication. Alive or Dead. I hate that type of messaging as it downplays risk and does a disservice to the younger population. Quality of life is as important as death.

I wish we have better statistic by now. Back in Jan'21, UK estimates 10% of infected has long covid (@ 12 wk). At 5 week, covid symptoms was still reported at a high rate among all age groups: ~12% of children (2-16). ~25% of 35-49.

Update on long COVID-19 prevalence estimate, 1 February 2021 (publishing.service.gov.uk)

Long Covid has more than 200 symptoms, study finds | Long Covid | The Guardian

Significant cognitive deficit is one of the major risks of Covid.

Cognitive deficits in people who have recovered from COVID-19 - EClinicalMedicine (thelancet.com)

Findings
    People who had recovered from COVID-19, including those no longer reporting symptoms, exhibited significant cognitive deficits versus controls when controlling for age, gender, education level, income, racial-ethnic group, pre-existing medical disorders, tiredness, depression and anxiety. The deficits were of substantial effect size for people who had been hospitalised (N = 192), but also for non-hospitalised cases who had biological confirmation of COVID-19 infection (N = 326). Analysing markers of premorbid intelligence did not support these differences being present prior to infection. Finer grained analysis of performance across sub-tests supported the hypothesis that COVID-19 has a multi-domain impact on human cognition.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

It seems like immunity in Israel is not holding up. Could be the gap between the two doses like he suggests or it could just be the immunity from the Pfizer vaccine doesn’t last very long. It does still offer good protection against serious infection but down to an 82% rate for those vaccinated with their second shot in January in Israel.

I haven’t got into any deep data dives but I’d be curious if this was heavily age dependent since we know the immune response is not as strong in the older age groups.

B-Bob likes this.
  7. Pringles

Pringles Member

Bunch of my circle of vaccinated friends are being infected. Nothing crazy, but yeah - I'll be wearing masks again moving forward till the positivity rates go down. Being quarantined for 10 days sounds terrible.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

20% of LA's cases are vaccinated people now, supposedly. How did your friends find out they had it? They were sick and got tested?

9. Pringles

Pringles Member

Yeah - they had mild symptoms and got tested. No one has been hospitalized, but we are all in our twenties and early thirties.

Ziggy likes this.
  10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Just got word from my registration er friend that 50% are covid positve.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Over half of the cases in the UK are vaccinated people, the only things to pay attention to at this point is hospitalizations, ICU, deaths

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Something that will become a bigger topic is "long covid", people experiencing symptoms 3 months + after infection, people with new potential lifelong disabilities, the percentage of people who will fall under this category that I've seen thrown out by some studies is holy **** scary (5-30%), factoring in long-term disabilities are possible with originally asymptomatic people, with fully vaccinated people who are getting infected also being effected... just gonna be a ****ed up time for tens of millions around the world.

Some good news is that it appears that the UK has hopefully peaked, if their rate of decline matches their previous wave, they could be back down to previous lows come late October, if US's trajectory follows a similar path maybe our wave will be done with come Christmas time/new year... a lot of ifs, but god damn am I ready for this thing to start winding down

Pringles and B-Bob like this.
  13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

FIFY

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Disagree. We need to understand the breakthrough cases as well as we can. You should watch @robbie380 ’s vid above. People acting like their vaccinations are permanent immunity will be a problem if the Israeli data are legit.

robbie, have been to the website the Dr there listed but could not locate the source of his numbers, (eg, protection against transmission declining to 17% for those vaccinated in January). Have you located the exact site or document?

15. Major

Major Member

Yeah, just all fearmongering. Covid's no big deal at all.

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...1-5-years-2020-biggest-drop-since-ww-ii-covid

Life expectancy in the United States declined by a year and a half in 2020, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which says the coronavirus is largely to blame.

COVID-19 contributed to 74% of the decline in life expectancy from 78.8 years in 2019 to 77.3 years in 2020, according to the CDC's National Center for Health Statistics.

It was the largest one-year decline since World War II, when life expectancy dropped by 2.9 years between 1942 and 1943.

Probably just all a big coincidence, though, and unrelated to Covid. Nothing to fear.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Disagree with that, man... I want to know how many vaccinated people turnout like... Chris Paul - they don't even know they have it. VS people that get seriously sick (not hospital sick, but sick).

If I get sick I miss work, I miss the gym, it affects my life to a degree. Health is important to me. But if there's a 75% chance I wont even notice I have the virus, then, I'll take that chance while continuing to take minor precautions.

Other stuff we want to know - are these people dealing with long Covid or hidden/brewing related long-term affects that we're still learning about?

CCity Zero and Pringles like this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This is what I saw, if vaccine efficacy for those fully vaccinates by Phizer, just 5 months out is at 16% for symptomatic disease, then we should probably move on from touting the efficacy of the vaccine in that department, the only thing that matters now is hospitalizations, ICU, deaths. The vaccine very unfortunately is not stopping a significant amount of people from getting the virus, nor saving them from having symptoms (being sick) just 5 months out from injection. The good news is it's still for the moment (and hopefully longer), protecting against hospitalization and deaths at an 80%+ rate.

Here is the link to the Israeli gov data charts

https://www.gov.il/BlobFolder/repor...ications_corona_two-dose-vaccination-data.pdf

Some can say I'm fearmongering but this is holy sh*t bad news, and I'm genuinely fearful

#11717 ThatBoyNick, Jul 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    Pringles and Amiga like this.
  18. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Lina Hidalgo has a lot of maturing to do.

She has an impressive resume but I'm not sold on her. She's behaving in a condescending manner and vilifying people in regards to covid.

I sincerely hope her political profile doesn't rise to where she's a gubernatorial candidate if this is how she'll treat people.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The abrupt turnaround in UK and India… did it just run through the population that quickly? UK much better results in term of death and severe illness… which speak to the vaccine holding up.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This is a valid libertarian point of view. We have a vaccine that all but eliminates death. I dont need to keep burdening other peoples ignorant choices. If those who do not want to get the vaccine, or social distance, or wear masks, let them get sick. And if you get very sick and need medical care and have the vaccine, these people get priority attention. For the rest of us, continue to reasonably social distance. Wear a mask if you get in cattle car situations. If you start to feel bad, start self quarantine and always wear a mask in the presence of any person. This is here to stay and we have measures that drastically reduce the chances of death. At this point we would be better off putting efforts to other causes of early death, like the rising obesity epidemic.

Everything else is just noise used to promote fear mongering.