1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Offer For #1

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Landry's Tooth, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Landry's Tooth

Curious what everyone else thought the best offer for #1 would be...

My thinking is it's hard to get Detroit's attention without a second lottery pick and the most up for grabs seems to be the Warriors...

Hear me out...

To Houston:
    Andrew Wiggins

To Pacers:
    Danuel House
    #23, #24

To Warriors:
    Eric Gordon
    TJ Warren

For Rockets... Wiggins is just another bad contract that happens to end the exact same time as John Wall's deal. There are some cap technicalities with holds to make trade happen but it should be possible with possibly having to include Augustin. Rockets get the #7 and can package it, #2, and Detroit's future pick for #1. I can't imagine a more compelling offer for Detroit since they would only miss out on one player on their board. Dealing with anyone else could mean multiple players off their board.

PG: Porter / Wall
    SG: Cunningham
    SF: Wiggins / Tate
    PF: Martin / Olynyk?
    C: Wood

You then have two massive contracts ending the same time as Wood's meaning you would have (in 2 years) Cunningham, Porter (restricted), Tate, and rights to Wood. That would be about 35 million in cap space/holds... figure 40-45 with other players/rookies along the way and that should leave about 70-80 million in cap space depending on the cap figure. Free agents that year (assuming opt ins): Harden, Durant, Middleton, Butler, Kyrie, Jokic, Myles Turner. Could you end up with Porter / Cunningham / Butler / Wood / Turner? It would be possible... Harden/Durant? Possible...

Pacers convert Warren into House and 2 late #1s giving them picks to move up, develop, or trade for veteran.

Warriors convert 1 rotation player on a bad contract into 2 rotation players on more reasonable deals. Warren is a 3 and D guy similar to Harrison Barnes while Gordon gives them depth at both guard spots. The Warriors also retain their later lottery pick too to add a younger piece or deal with Wiseman.

Bottom line for me if I'm Detroit the conversation doesn't start unless I can see another top 10 pick and I would have to like someone falling in that space. I'm not sure that's going to be the case... Would they rather have Davion Mitchell and Jalen Green instead of Cunningham? Not sure...

rhee likes this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Dude, random trade idea thread

3. Landry's Tooth

Dude, it's more about the point of getting the #1 pick snd what we need to get it... a bunch of late 1s doesn't do it.

If you have an alternative suggestion on how to get #1 please share...

4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Lol give it up bro. Rockets are drafting Baby Mamba. Embrace it

5. Jalen Green OnlyFan

I think his point is that he'd share it in the random trade idea thread if he had an alternate suggestion.

6. ball king23

ball king23 Member

idk about that trade so i am trying to see you want to give Houston the 7th pick and Wiggins and then you want to give the pacers 23 and 24 what does houston get back from the pacers and I am assuming you want the pick from the pacers included in this deal to Houston I do not think that is a good trade i mean you are dropping a lot of good talent on that trade and i would not mind the pick for 23 or 24 to the pacers but it would have to be one pick not two looking at who could be available at 13 the only player i would trade up for would be kia or jericho sims but who knows maybe one will fall to Houston in the later first round or Isiah Jackson in that later first round that trade kinda bad if you look at it maybe there is a Ziaire Williams

7. raining threes

2/23/Detroit pick for Cade.

24/Tate for 13, draft Jones

Or just draft Green and trade up to 13 for Jones. and at 24 draft Murphy.

8. xaos

xaos Member

Best offer?

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

They want us to send them GOATLYNK

It's simply not happening

10. Landry's Tooth

My point wasn't about silly hypo trades, just to illustrate it could be possible to get their attention with another top 10 pick...

A fair offer would be a late 1 and their pick back to move up, but fair doesn't mean they will do it.

I think Gordon and the late picks as assets look better bundled into a higher pick...

If I'm Detroit and i can pair up Mitchell and Green in the backcourt to go with Bey, Stewart, Grant, etc. I would have to consider it...

I still don't think they do it...

11. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

Why would Indiana give up Warren for House? At this point House's value is a bunch of coupons at Chipotle at best.

12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Terrible trade for the other two teams involved.

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Wait, you're giving up #2, #23, #24, Detroit's pick, Eric Gordon, Danuel House AND taking back Wiggins' monster contract? That's an awful lot. I absolutely LOVE Cade Cunningham, but I couldn't do all that.

If the #2, Detroit's pick and one of the 23 or 24 don't do it then I'd just take whichever they prefer out of Green and Mobley.

And, realistically, I don't see Fertitta taking back additional salary.

topfive and don grahamleone like this.
  14. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The other two teams? Terrible for the Rockets.

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Debatable. I can live with an extra year of Wiggins if it means getting the #1 pick. Wiggins can play, he’s just overpaid. Plus, this is a scenario in which you trade up for Cade without forfeiting any future draft capital.

16. DonatelloLimestone

Warriors wouldnt' do this

TJ warren is a scorer not a defender, his benefit is very little for them over wiggins. Eric Gordon is also a terrible contract with less potential than Wiggins for them. Then they also lose their lottery pick? They will have many many better options than this for 7/14

RedRedemption likes this.
  17. Landry's Tooth

I don't disagree depending on the grade they have for the players relative to Cade.

The price to go from the 20s to #7 is reasonable (Gordon and #1 for Wiggins) in that scenario, it's the going from 2 to 1 that seems like an overpay...

18. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Get rid of Tate?
    Please let the draft come already to end this madness.

19. MystikArkitect

We could have #7 and Green or Mobley and instead we'd just have Cade?

Pass.

BallSoHarden, bmelo and tmoney1101 like this.
  20. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

We have their attention if they really want green no need to let them milk us in the process. There’s not a scenario where we lose picking at 2.

Possum, RedRedemption and bmelo like this.