1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Pay attention better.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/evan-mobley/

A fast, agile big man with an advanced skill set. Mobley is a coordinated athlete with great length and a lot of upside. He’s got a skinny frame and will have to get a lot stronger but shows elite level upside. He’d be a no.1 overall pick in a lot of drafts but might fall to 2 or 3 in this loaded class.

• Has length and size to go along with excellent coordination
    • Mobley has an advanced offensive game for young PF/C with a smooth shooting stroke and good range
    • Can handle the ball in the open court and shows signs of developing some small forward skills
    • Can make plays in transition, showing good hands and a nice touch around the rim
    • An above the rim player who looks to dunk everything in close
    • Has great timing as a shot blocker, allowing the offensive player to jump first and playing with great positioning
    • Has quick reflexes and good defensive instincts
    • Rebounds both ends of the floor and does a good job of crashing the offensive glass
    • High IQ on the floor and in the classroom
    • Has shown a rapid rate of improvement and has a ton more upside
    • Is still very skinny and lacks strength and power
    • Doesn’t have a frame that is likely to add a ton of weight and will probably always be more of a finesse player than a true power player
    • Isn’t the most vocal leader (at this point)

3. dmoneybangbang

LOL. Was that a response to what I said? I think you need to pay attention or maybe not fall head over heels for players.

Mobley.... Simmons..... Aaron Gordon. You got it bad toots.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Keep spinning those alternate realities.

Fantasy much?

And if anyone is in love with a player it would be you.

When you have to lie so much about something, it must be love. Or something akin to what you might consider love.

5. dmoneybangbang

No..... you are the Aaron Gordon guy......

Then the Simmons guy.....

Now the Mobley guy...... You got it bad.

D-rock likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

But I dont lie about players.

That's all YOU.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

The big man is not dead. Rather, it has evolved massively, a stark contrast from the role it occupied even five years ago. Previously, bigs' skill sets were highly dependent on their physical traits — boxing out and rebounding, finishing around the basket, etc. As the NBA has evolved into a much more skill dependent league, the tasks required of big men have consequently diversified and expanded greatly.

The modern big needs to be able to space the floor, play make, and act as a vertical/roll threat out of screens. Furthermore, having bigs who are versatile defending the pick-and-roll is important for teams in order to throw a multitude of looks at opponents. Due to the increased level of skill and versatility required to play the position, it’s almost impossible to find all these qualities in one player, which is why I largely prefer a committee approach.

I picked both Okongwu and Mobley (s/o Compton Magic and USC for having both of them on their rosters) as examples of bigs who I am interested in taking with early picks. I will not lie, I don’t think either players comparison results are super indicative due to playing in a 2-big lineup with the Trojans (though Okongwu’s block rate matching up with massive humans such as Sim Bhullar, Tacko Fall, and Joel Embiid should have assuaged concerns about him being a full-time 5). Both have the potential to be full-time centers despite perceived physical limitations, and both have shown the ability to execute all three main pick-and-roll coverages. When you add in their willingness to shoot outside of the paint this early, their elite finishing numbers, and playmaking flashes, these are the bigs you want to take early in the draft, as they potentially could be useful in any game situation presented. The crazy thing is, there are more of these prospect types coming, with players such as Victor Wembanyama, Yannick Nzosa, and others on the horizon.

8. dmoneybangbang

LOL. So you do fall in love with players.

Lied? No, you just don't like any negativity towards your beloved.

9. TheRedRanger

TheRedRanger Member

I've been Green gang all this time but I think I want Mobley now. Either way,l I trust Stone to make the right pick. Also, I refuse to get my hopes up for Cade.

D-rock likes this.
  10. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Lol I feel you. Your not wrong for thinking that way. We picking Jalen Green though.

11. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

I’m starting to think the Rockets are picking Jalen Green. Oh well hopefully he turns into Kobe/Vince lite!

If he’s Anthony Edwards 2.0 I’m gonna claw my eyes out

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Are you going to start talking about Mobley's ass again?

You know how much you love to do it.

13. dmoneybangbang

I don't mind talking about Mobley shortcomings, especially when it involves what he's supposed to best at. Lets talk about physics/leverage and why a high center of gravity could be hindrance in basketball. We are talking about the #2 pick, not the #23.

I'm sure you'll just repeat "alternate realities" lies when this is in scouting reports.

14. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

In all honesty though, what makes Green different from Edwards?

Edwards is the better athlete. Is it the motivation thing? That's superficial, anybody can say words to please people.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yet, Mobley has had no problems getting low in his stance thus far.

There is a reason why he is considered an elite and versatile defender.

Are you going to talk about his shoulders as reason why he can't gain weight now?

16. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

I have read that green is a better scorer, has better skills but AE is a better athlete

17. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

How is Jalen Green a better scorer than Edwards when a 19yo Green averaged the same amount of points per game as Armoni Brooks (17ppg) in the G-League, and Edwards averaged 19ppg as a 19yo rookie last year? These are simple questions I have that make me doubt the advertised potential of Green.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

19. dmoneybangbang

It’s also why he’s a mediocre rebounder and gets pushed off his spot.

You mean talking about the scouting report on Mobley? Maybe you should listen to Clutch podcast, it was also brought up there too.

It was an alternate reality to compare Giannis’s body to Mobley’s like you did.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm a Cade Cunningham fan and wish we could manage to get him, but the chances of doing that are nil. However, either one of Green or Mobley would be an outstanding pick, in my opinion, with far different reasons for each of them. Having said that, I just thought I'd point out, you having mentioned Clutch and Bima's podcast, that @Clutch actually favors picking Mobley, shoulders and all, by a narrow margin over Green.

D-rock and AroundTheWorld like this.