1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GLeague vs NCAA hoops

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All this talk of the GLeague...lots of, at best.. borderline NBA talent (this is improving, but will take awhile)...with a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PACE....and...MUCH MORE SPACE. No zone defenses....(Not much D in general) It's a faster game. And, longer..48 minutes, instead of 40 in college. Numbers are extremely inflated. Yes, it's good to see the progression of the developmental league and it's players.... starting to get a better class of young talent, but let's keep it all in context.

D-rock likes this.
  2. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Is it playing against a bunch of people who aren't good enough to play pro basketball? If not then the competition level is still higher than college.

3. conquistador#11

Make it a quadruple double header title.
    GLEAGUE Vs. NCAA Vs Euroliga vs Turkey League gobble gobble.

I say if you can ball, you can ball.

4. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

You hate jalen green just admit it. Jalen was more efficient than Kpj.

Omihall23 and Dobbizzle like this.
  5. Plowman

Supporting Member

No, I don't hate Jalen. Au contraire, like I said, in the other thread....I believe he'll go on to have a good career. Even so, I see our Rockets taking an unnecessary risk if we pick him, while passing on better talent. Green put up 17/game while doing little else. While he might have been the Cat's Meow out of high school, I don't see him as that compared to the other three.

I'd much rather have one of Cade/Mobley/Suggs.....These guys would have destroyed GLeague in KPjr fashion....who btw..put up 24/7/7...leading the league in points and assists.

Trackwell likes this.
  6. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

All of that is just your random (highly disputable - especially Mobley putting up those numbers when he couldn't in college) opinion, not a fact. You do realise that right?

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

the G-League is basically like a prolonged Summer League to me…fast paced, little to no defense being played, wins and losses don’t matter, and guys are just trying to show off for teams or work on their game

college is slow paced and has little to no spacing…teams often use an entire 35 second shot clock and struggle to score 80 points…u can be watching a college game, and the score will be like 18-13 midway through the 1st half

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

The context is people in the GLeague are mostly former NCAA stars.

There are 4500 NCAA Div 1 players every year and 60 or less gonna make it to the NBA. For the rest who dont get drafted but are still pretty good they end up in the GLeague. All you need to do is look at players on the rosters and then you'll see their profile. For the US players there they were a big east player or w/e.

You wont find the best of the best talent in the NCAA in the Gleague but its not like every team in the NCAA has a top 5 lotto pick slated to go to the NBA either. Cade for example didnt shoot 40% from 3 being guarded by Scottie Barnes every game, they probably net 1-2 times if that. Most of the time Cade beats up on unathletic college players with 0 chance to make it to the NBA. Moreover, NBA players get drafted mostly on potential and not necessarily their ability right now.

So RIGHT NOW, these GLeague teams with grown ass former NCAA stars are generally better and would on average destroy those NCAA teams cuz they would essentially be beating up younger versions of themselves notwithstanding some exceptions like Cade, Zion, AD etc.

#8 roslolian, Jul 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  9. a time to chill

I do hope we see more young talented players choose the G league or international play fresh out of high school rather than the NCAA.

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

In fifteen games. Against grown men. He hadn't been through any kind of training camps, NBA practices, NBA games, etc like most had.

Wouldn't one suspect that if he had more than fifteen games, his numbers would have improved quite a bit?

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Let's see. NBA 3 pt line and....

You aren't playing against future accountants and high school gym teachers who will never play pro basketball in their entire lives.

Ya the g-league is a better representation of NBA success than NCAA.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

i mean, the worst gleague team can probably blow out the best wnba team by 80 points, so there's that.

13. Plowman

Supporting Member

Pace
    Space
    No D/zone

You guys underestimate the POSITIVE effect of these things on Cade/Mobley/Suggs....

So, the players are better....

Duh......Of course they are. That's not the point.

#13 Plowman, Jul 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  14. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Cleverly disguised Evan Mobley is better than Jalen Green thread?

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

NBA Front offices are well aware of the strengths and weaknesses of the college game and the G-league.

16. Plowman

Supporting Member

Many folks in here are not.....

Rudyc281 and No Worries like this.
  17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Why waste time trying to convert others opinions when all that matters is what the Rockets front office believes?

ApacheWarrior and dmoneybangbang like this.
  18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yep. And this part I quoted could apply to the entire g**damned Internet and cable TV news networks these days,

Deuce likes this.
  19. MystikArkitect

Thinking NCAA > G League is moronic.

NCAA is closer to High School ball then it is to G League.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I don't think we should look at College vs G League as a "binary" decision. Just look at the strengths and weaknesses of each and judge the players through that prism.

YOLO, ApacheWarrior, Plowman and 3 others like this.