1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Trade Targets?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htownbball, May 18, 2021.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would typically be on this side of the discussion. I would see this trade as a big gamble, but I wouldn't be able to pass up Reynolds even though I like Javier and Brown. If Leon pans out in CF, Reynolds is a much more natural corner as he loses a lot of value not having the range for CF.

Though, I can see some hesitancy based on Reynolds having a bad 2020.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I am more than comfortable with Reynolds going forward

I just wouldn’t move the young proven mlb pitching

We do that and have an injury or two, we will need to score 10 runs to win

Even if we lose Correa we will have a top tier offense moving forward

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Adding Reynolds would mean there is one less bat to pay free agent money going forward. Click would have about $100M a year to spend on pitching in free agency.

BigMaloe, Milos and Snake Diggit like this.
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If the Astros are open to adding a bat with the idea that they’re flexible on putting someone in CF that doesn’t profile to be a very good defender there, here would be my list of targets:

Byron Buxton
    Joey Gallo
    Starling Marte
    Kris Bryant
    Adam Frazier

That assumes Ketel Marte and Bryan Reynolds are not available. I would also be open to Trevor Story and Whit Merrifield but only if the price is lower than expected.

Top 5 SP targets would be: Scherzer, Berrios, Morton, Boyd, and J Gray; assumes Bieber and Marquez are not available.

Milos likes this.
  5. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I don't think you have to worry...I do not expect this kind of trade to happen with the Astros giving up Javier, etc. As I said before, I ran with the trade idea because of a report by Ken Rosenthal that the Astros "checked in on Reynolds." So part of posting that was for me to just look at our rosters and say what would it possibly take to land a guy like Reynolds?

If you were talking just prospects to land a guy like Reynolds at a MINIMUM you are talking 2 top 100 prospects plus some additional pieces and one of those top 100 guys would need to be like top 10 or 15. Reynolds is incredibly valuable right now. Astros have 1 top 100 guy and that would be Pena who is hurt. So in my opinion there is no way you can pull off a Reynolds trade without including a young big leaguer. Javier is the obvious choice to me. Urquidy doesn't have the value with 2 shoulder injuries, and no way you trade Garcia who might be the best pitcher in the rotation right now.

I've found the entire deadline speculation surrounding the Astros to be very strange this year. I've yet to read about an Astros rumor involving a specific reliever. For instance, the Dodgers had one today about Ian Kennedy. Instead the stories involving specific trade rumors or mentions for the Astros have been about Scherzer, Reynolds, and Starling Marte. Makes me wonder if the Astros are going to do something big.

Also, you have focused on Reynolds a lot. In that trade scenario I had the Astros getting Rich Rodriguez who has 2 years of arbitration after this season and only making 1.7 million. He is a very expensive piece in his own right.

You also mentioned in another post how you don't want to trade MLB pitching for a CFer because of how good Leon has looked. The Astros are giving Leon a long look at SS right now. He's played SS in 43 games and CF in only 9 games. So he might be your SS and not your CFer going forward.

6. The Beard

The general history of giving big contracts to free agent pitchers isn’t the best

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one, I would not move the young mlb proven pitchers for a CF. Maybe it’s just me, I think we already have the offense to win it all

jim1961 likes this.
  7. The Beard

Yea I like Rodriguez a lot, but there are other strong relievers we could get without moving one of the arms we are discussing

Will be interesting to see what Click does, if anything. His short term hasn’t seen him be real active in the trade market so we have very little to go on

And yes they are playing Leon more at SS. If the plan is to use him at SS letting Carlos go while trading young pitching to improve CF…I really hope we win it all THIS Year lol

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If you don't trust free agent pitching and have to have young pitching, do the trade, pocket Rodriguez, and trade Reynolds for better young pitching than Brown and Javier.

9. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

A couple clips of Click talking about the deadline

#669 Htown Legend, Jul 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    BigMaloe, Rodman23, rockbox and 5 others like this.
  10. Stros66

Stros66 Member

Get Max and put Jake in the bullpen.

the shark and plates300 like this.
  11. htownbball

htownbball Member

What do you think Jake Meyers' trade stock is? He's not on the 40 man so he might be a prime candidate, but of course doesn't have the prospect pedigree.

12. The Beard

But what we read as the prospect pedigree and what any individual team thinks about them can be two different things

13. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Encouraging. There is no way he would be talking such a big game if he didn’t have line of sight to at least one needle-changing move.

14. raining threes

Bring back CFM.

15. the shark

the shark Member

Nats 7 back in the Division and 10.5 back for the 2nd WC.

Scherzer would be a HUGE get!!

Charlie F'n Morton would be as well.

16. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

FWIW, no more home starts for Scherzer before the deadline. He starts today (@BAL) and on the 29th (@PHI). So there's really no reason to delay a trade outside of the negotiations completing.

17. The Beard

And they know they will need a window for him to negotiate with the other team if he is sticking to the no trade without an extension mantra

BigMaloe, Htown Legend and desihooper like this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It’s incredibly unlikely but still possible the Nats could get a lot closer in their division by early next week. They are going to wait until the very last minute to sell.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Too late to edit, so I will just add to say that I think there’s a >25% chance that Max Scherzer will be the starting pitcher for the Houston Astros against the Giants in San Fran on Friday July 30th, 2021.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Click really is doing an unusual amount of chirping about the deadline and I'm not sure why.

It doesn't really bother me per se, but at this point he's unnecessarily painted himself into a situation of expectation from the fans.

BigMaloe, mikol13, awc713 and 2 others like this.