1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green should be the pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Jun 22, 2021.

1. amaru

amaru Member

Don’t underestimate Tillman’s desperation

groovemachine, Caesar and fchowd0311 like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You give someone credit for guarding the post while a big man's job is to guard the post, even if you have the switch D now, the main job is to secure the perimeter as a guard.

If you do not feel it has to do with your post, why answer?

#2282 daywalker02, Jul 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  3. amaru

amaru Member

I simply posted a fact that has been backed up time after time by advanced statistics. I never suggested that one was preferable to the other. I’m not sure what perimeter defense had to do with post defense. Seems like you’re being argumentative just to be argumentative

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Forget it, mang. The intention wasn't to be difficult about the matter.

This 'he is borderline elite at post defense'. Did you post statistics that it helped him advance in the Playoffs?

I doubt it has value/legs because I remember his goal is to win a championship, esp. now that he is beyond 30.

Harden was mostly a picky defender, he picked his opponents, he mostly chose his defensive time wisely (he isn't that player that guards the opponents' best offensive player consistently), that shouldn't come as a surprise, so the statement of 'he is elite at post D' it doesn't help anyone.

The issue here is the sentence that is overused and not interpreted the right way. (Does his Post D help his team win Playoff games consistently?)

I give him credit, the one current example, he did guard Luguentz Dort well one game when he blew up, on the perimeter as well, but again, it's selective.

You're right about Jalen Green shouldn't be dragged into a conversation with Harden and his D just yet.

#2284 daywalker02, Jul 24, 2021
  5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

You don't remember videos roasting Harden for not guarding anyone? Lapses where his
    man takes off and Harden is just standing there? Harden became known for interior
    defense somewhere near his 2nd or 3rd year with the Rockets......that's about 5 years into
    his career. And here I'm suppose to judge Green on just 15 games? Mobley played about
    20 games in man to man vs weak sister PAC 12 competition and 13 games in zone defense
    to finish out the season; that should be taken as the gospel? I don't think so.

What I am suggesting is the effort......Harden always said he was saving his energy
    for the offensive end. That's what I'm saying Jalen Green has also done. His
    highschool coach said he asked Jalen Green to play the best offensive player
    and he turned it up a notch.....performed at a higher level.

I bring up highschool with D-rock because he throws, Mobley was a beast in highschool
    without his brother Isaiah. I tell him so, that's highschool !! It's an inside joke/matter
    between me and D-rock. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

#2285 ApacheWarrior, Jul 24, 2021
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Have no fear, Fertitta valuing short term ticket sales over the long term rebuild is exactly why they'll pass up better talent to draft the cash cow hype machine that is Jalen Green. He comes with a rabid fanbase and possibly more hype than peak Linsanity.

My hope is once they get the short term business pick out of the way they'll take things more seriously from a basketball standpoint with next year's top 5 pick.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

JH's take on D is an affront to consistent defenders that have made D their calling card.

He is just someone who took D seriously when people called him out for it.

8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You guys talk of the GLeague...lots of, at best.. borderline NBA talent...with a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PACE....and...MUCH MORE SPACE. No zone defenses....(Not much D in general) It's a faster game. And, longer..48 minutes, instead of 40 in college Averaging 17 there, without doing much else... even at 19..is alright, but it isn't all that.

Just for the sake of conversation...What do think Cade, Mobley or Suggs would put up in a season there? They'd put up obscene numbers.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  9. JD88

JD88 Member

They didn't put up obscene numbers playing against 18/19 year olds, but if they went and played men who do this for a living, they'd dominate?

Bold take.

Bo6, cbass, Omihall23 and 4 others like this.
  10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

gimme a few minutes and perhaps I’ll understand this???

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

since none of those three will GLeague-it we’ll never know. And, let’s face it one of’m will be ‘ours’. Rah. Kets.

Plowman likes this.
  12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

So drafting Jalen Green will be a bigger day than drafting Hakeem, trading for Drexler, winning two championships, drafting Yao, trading for Harden or STEALING Isaiah Hartenstein in the 2nd round? Wow. Get me hyped, bro.

BigggReddd, Reeko, D-rock and 8 others like this.
  13. Caesar

Caesar Member

Don't forget how hype and crazy it was in here for the Dwight Howard sweepstakes. CP3 trade, Russ trade all met with some backlash, but Dwight day was huge as was the entire waiting period. This is no where near that hype. T-Mac trade a close second b/c of the Stevie love.

Obviously were at a point where many current Rockets fans were too young or not born for our b2b championships. I was a kid soon to be a teen so those are the years you really become attached and nothing can likely top that for me. Harden/CP beating the Warriors seems like it would, but it still wouldn't top childhood dreams coming true b/c let's face it Moreyball and Antoni iso ball was ugly and boring even though we dominated that whole year and could have easily been a 70 win team if CP played every game. The worst part of it happening for me at that age was the expectation that we would win so many more in my lifetime. Now i have heart palpitations, my knees hurt, my back hurts, my weight fluctuates like crazy, i can barely stay awake late, and the most enjoyment in my life is allowing myself to pig out and get drunk once a week in the comfort of my own home. I don't want a project. I don't want a soft player. I don't want a guy with his mind outside of basketball like "i'm still a champion off the court Dwert." I dont' want a bust. Green is my guy. The mindset to thrive and the skills to thrill. I want to win and i want to be excited and entertained doing it.

#2293 Caesar, Jul 24, 2021
    Bo6, Dobbizzle, Fulgore and 1 other person like this.
  14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just gave five reasons why..

And, it isn't because I don't like Green. I see him as having a good career. That said, I want the Rockets to make the right choice, and in my humble opinion...it should be out of Cade/Mobley/Suggs.

xiki likes this.
  15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

yes .

#8 pick vs #2

and a roster with Tmac and yao already on it vs a roster with nada .

Overall battier trade was prolly a push . Gay ended up being pretty good . But Shane was not a bust and had we had better injury luck we may have clearly “won” the trade

groovemachine likes this.
  16. Caesar

Caesar Member

Dame and Wall, this generations version of Marbury and Francis. Isiah going to go on ESPN and talk up how dominant Lillard and Wall will be. Who is this years version of the Knicks version of ZBo?

Bo6 and D-rock like this.
  17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Ppl outside of Toyota in 90+ degree weather just to see Dwight. That was almost as embarrassing as Texans wearing letterman jackets

hakeem94 and Caesar like this.
  18. Caesar

Caesar Member

NSFW

Fulgore likes this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Take all the time you need.

20. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Some good points here. Everyone knows I have been bashing Green’s lack of effort on defense and rebounding. I’ve also bashed him on running back whenever his teammates shoot the ball and it’s in the air. Those are extremely disturbing traits from a young player. If our coaching could fix these flaws then he would be an excellent pick….that’s the wild card. Having a player like PJ Tucker could have helped to show the kid the right way to play. If we do pick him we should definitely make it a priority to re-sign David Nwaba as a defensive tutor. It’s a coin flip whether Green continues down the wrong path defensively or if he changes his attitude/effort level in the NBA.

whag00 likes this.