1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Iko] What I’m hearing about Rockets at NBA Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 22, 2021.

1. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

I keep going back and forth. To be honest Il be good with either but I still cant wait to find out which one.

2. DonatelloLimestone

Yea, what exactly do you know about college? The NCAA lterally limits both in the summer and during school the coaches access.
    The style of play is totally foreign to the nba, more akin to europe. The nba is a different pace than other basketball and caters towards playmakers and spacing. That takes adjustment as well as pace. The dleague has more nba ready athleticism, developed plyers who have already had the wisdom of college and they grind it out. Instead of some college coach or some kid who may be a stock broker in your ear each day you have guys trying to grind, professionals, all with the intent to develop you n the gleague elite squad.

The top of college baskebtall? AS in the handful of players who are nba level/ An how often do you play the top of college basketball? Go see the gleauge, most of tose guys were at the top of college basketball except they are consildated and competing at eachother with one ambition to make it to that level, the college game is much more leisurely and deomcratic than what the gleague will prepare you for the nba grind.

Imo you are absolutely wrong, the gleague team is comprised of guys who were successful or among the top level or best players in their team in college and consildated, so the overall team talent in college is not as good

I mean you keep bringing up harenstein, but think of fred van fleet. he had a 17-7 dleague stint, but he shot 40 percent from the field...he wasn't exactly dominating, but he has been solid in the nba. IT doesn't always translate bc your stats and productiosn are based on the system, spacing, role that gives you chances unless your lebron james or someone else.

I think education and college is a great thing, but the basketball culture of the ncaa is an exploitive business where they don't even get an education, get less training than professionals

3. conquistador#11

Six days until Draft Day! I remember when it was seven days.

AXG, sirjesse, BamBam and 9 others like this.
  4. Asian Sensation

Out of all the players that possess those things you mentioned you picked Vince Carter though? Interesting. That’s a lot of players thru the years since Carter was drafted. Carter was a 22 year old man coming out of college. He was a lot bigger and stronger than JG. At least a solid 25 more pounds of muscle and as someone else pointed out his wingspan was much longer as well.

I just don’t see the VC comparison at all. Just from a physical standpoint JG is way closer to guys like Terrence Ross, Lavine, DeRozan who also possess the things you mentioned.

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I have put some thought into this. I'm a bit more more assured that Stone won't give up the farm for Damion. I think he will look up the following factors before making a decision to
    either retain or trade the 2nd pick.
    Talent, upside, hard work, and fighting capability. If any one quality is significantly missing, then he might look to trade the pick. I believe is under pressure to acquite a star, but he is his own man. He will take into consideration what Silas wants , but it will be his own decision. Tilman can veto everything though.

6. DonatelloLimestone

Yea I don't as well. Carter was stronger and bigger, different body type.

I can see some beal, maybe buddy hield, maybe macelmore, maybe lavine, but he doesnt' get much lift in his shot. its tough to say, but I'm happy with him at the no 2, I love that he went to the gleague which I'm big on the 'elite' squad experiemtn being better traning than college for the nba

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

I dont think there are any franchise players in this draft.

At least not in top 4 picks.

Someone like Barnes could surprise if he becomes a better shooter ...

If in doubt, you draft the championship building block, the most unique player, the best 2 way player.

juanming likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

I’m not going to knock the G-League but I am also not going to knock Mobley. He was on a team with very little talent and his on/off numbers were insane. Also the G-League likely had more scoring than the PAC and that would distort a comparison.

FWIW I am fine with either. One is likely a very good scorer that can be a secondary star (Green) because of limitations he has as a creator. The other is very physically gifted but is a limited rebounder and can be pushed out of the post… both are very nice but not super special.

amaru, majicdonjuan, vince and 3 others like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Stone was NOT involved in basketball operations or the think tank before Morey. He was brought over after Morey had a number of conversations with him about basketball and decided he would help.

amaru, Rudyc281 and D-rock like this.
  10. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

love the avatar!! To the moon!!

Asian Sensation likes this.
  11. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Honestly, your analysis of the g-league is way off.

For reference, from the NBA themselves.

How many NBA G League players have made it to the NBA?

We can compare this to NCAA

Of NCAA prospects, only 21% of NCAA players continue to play basketball professionally of any kind after they leave, and only 1.1% make it to the NBA. So 4 out of every 5 NCAA basketball player straight up do not continue playing basketball at a professional level after college (that professional basketball level includes g-league too), and only a tiny tiny portion of these NCAA players play basketball at an NBA level.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It'll be fun next year when people stop trying to prop up the G league as if it's quality competition. It's something everyone realized last year, but now there's an overhyped prospect that underperformed in that league so here we are.

juanming likes this.
  13. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Seems like it was only yesterday.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yesterday came suddenly

15. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Why'd Cade
    Have to go
    To Detroit?
    I couldn't say.

16. noppeper

noppeper Member

My impression of the G League is that teams mostly don't care whether they win or lose, and instead, individual players are there to showcase their talents or teams are trying to execute emerging schemes for the sake of experimentation. In other words, competition is not the main focus.

While the talent at the NCAA overall might be inferior, teams play to win, as whole programs are dependent on performance. There is media scrutiny, the seats are filled with fans, important games televised nationally, and the tournament is pressure filled with high stakes all around. Even MJ has stated his game changed because of his performance in the tournament, and that seemingly carried over to the big show.

Mobley experienced that competition, and although he was not a world beater, his impact was positive. Green, unfortunately, missed out on that experience, so gauging his competitive spirit is harder in my eyes.

17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Oh it's gonna be a sht show if boobythesht is right, u will hear him btch over and over how we whiff in the draft and how college prospects r better than gleague.

If high schoolers were still a thing out of the three player pools (g league, college, high school) which one will produce better prospects? Curious

18. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I remember all the talk about Kawhi and his freakishly big hands and how he would be an instantly effective defender. I didn't like him because he seemed so poor offensively. I actually thought that Morris was the right pick.

Kawhi ended up being a good offensive player. It's probably the most teachable part of the game (and easiest area to improve). Yet I still find myself disliking players that don't appear to be good scorers or have bad 3pt %. This team needs shooters, but I'll try to reserve judgment until the end of that first year contract.

Hakeemtheking and D-rock like this.
  19. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Cade dif is. And a elite scorer is definitely a piece a team could use. N I don't see a big difference between thor and mobley honestly

20. Salvy

Salvy Member

Stone said something wrong
    Now I long for Cade

Yesterday
    The NBA was such an easy game to play

Then Harden threw it all away
    Now we need to tank
    To have a way

To draft Green, Mobley or maybe Cade?

Oh I believe in Yesterday...

Hakeemtheking likes this.