1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Return of Bullyball?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocket River, Jul 21, 2021.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

2. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

just go ahead and admit you didnt watch a single one of his games. I dont blame you. The astericks playoffs had some of the lowest ratings in nba history

Giannis is one of the least explosive athletic players in the league. There is nothing quick about the way the runs into defenders and taps in put backs

Rocket River likes this.
  3. Major

Major Member

https://www.nba.com/news/2021-nba-finals-finishes-up-32-percent-in-viewership

Game 6, in which the Bucks defeated the Suns 105-98 to win their first NBA title in 50 years, averaged 12.52 million viewers, up 50% vs 2020.

The 2021 NBA Playoffs overall (inclusive of Finals) averaged 4.25 million viewers across ABC, ESPN and TNT, up 35% vs. the 2020 postseason. The share — the percentage of households with televisions on tuned into the NBA – for NBA playoff and Finals games finished at its highest since 2002 (7.1).

Global viewership on NBA League Pass for the NBA Playoffs was up 19% vs. last season and up 26% vs. 2019. Additionally, NBA social platforms generated 1.24 billion video views during the NBA Finals.

4. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

https://www.sportico.com/business/media/2021/nba-ratings-slip-as-casualties-mount-1234632539/

https://sportsnaut.com/nba-tv-ratings/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommyb...than-pre-pandemic-viewership/?sh=4fe6624f1e22

HardenVolumeOne likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is both, strong and quick. Rare combination.

He has some skills but not all that like Hakeem.

DaDakota likes this.
  6. bmelo

bmelo Member

So now Giannis plays above the rules? LeBron and Harden does same stuff for years

7. AXG

AXG Member

I may be in the minority here, but the league was getting too soft and rewards flopping. I'd rather allow more physicality. Make it a grown man's game

8. HardenVolumeOne

That’s sounds good but when we had Dwight Howard, and Yao Ming the refs would call offensive fouls on them for doing just a fraction of crap giannis does

9. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Not really. Giannis gets away with it because he squares up and tries to take his defender off the dribble. This makes it much easier for the defender to be out of position which results in a defensive foul.

leebigez likes this.
  10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

As much as I want to push back the "unskilled" nonsense about Giannis, I really hope that bullyball doesn't become a mainstay in basketball. Shaq was the epitome of bullyball and I hated watching him play. If you are allowed to use your bulk to knock people back to get to the basket, the defender has really no other recourse but to flop. And that is ugly as hell. And the endless arguing about whether a play is offensive foul or defensive foul is just so annoying.

Lar and Rocket River like this.
  11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The complaint I am here about the olympics is that the Americans are too Soft
    They cannot keep up with the Physicality of the Olympics. . .
    Alot of No Calls and rough play

Is that true?

Rocket River

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't know. Todays NBA is definitely less physical than the last generation due to how they officiate the game and how the 3pt game has supplanted the inside game. I am not sure about "soft." The international game is also moving toward 3pt shooting.

Personally, I suspect that it's the return to the ISO heavy offense. The NBA favors individual heroic more than team plays. And maybe the superstar treatment has also got to these guys. Maybe they are too used to getting bailed out by superstar calls. Don't forget these are all star players. Now the refs aren't pampering and they are being thrown off.

These are just some of my guessing. One thing for sure. There is no excuse of lack of talent. Even though this might not be the "A" team, they should still dominate in the amount of talent.

JumpMan likes this.
  13. JW86

JW86 Member

I wonder if those complaining about "bully" ball are the same people who revere the 80s and 90s.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Bullyball never left, took a recess.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Physicality plays a role.

The US teams today are more or less assembled over night.

Euro teams have played since their youth teams. Think of AAU and All McDonalds.

It's just better chemistry and Luka dominating when he should.

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

1 officiating makes the big part of the game.... look at harden for example a few bad calls can make the difference between being crowned amongst all time greatest players and crucified as a playoffs choker...

2 and difference between nba superstar and an average players isnt that huge as we think...
    these are only nuances and details separating them....

3 think of it, 3 greatest superstar join and winning margin in the finals is no more than 20 pts and we all know 20pts difference is actually just a 6 possesions game, since basketball is game of runs, game of momentum....take into account volatility and oscillation in 3pt shooting, players form, chemistry, homecrowd , statistical anomalies etc and there you have it, it becomes actually obvious that besides the skills you need the luck to win every single game because its all about nuances and details

Rocket River likes this.
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

His spin move reminds me of Dreams spin move, and he uses it to get by people with ease....his quickness is very good for a big man and the length of his steps is a massive advantage.

DD

hakeem94 likes this.