1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Washington NFL Team to Change Racist Nickname

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

"Guardians" is kind of a boring and generic name. (But maybe "boring" and "generic" is one of the reasons why Cleveland went with it.)

"Cleveland Spiders" would've been cooler.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the name "Indians" itself...when viewed in a vacuum without any surrounding context. The problem was that, in Cleveland's and MLB's case, the name "Indians" has a psychological association with the problematic/offensive Chief Wahoo logo that Cleveland recently got rid of, and that association might linger among some folks for years or decades if Cleveland stuck with Indians. Thus it is better to change the name, too. It's basically a major brand refresh.

Atlanta will probably end up doing something similar eventually.

Colt45 and NewRoxFan like this.
  2. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Yep. A former co-worker is a life-longhardcore Cleveland Fan. When we both lived in the DC area he would drive home to Ohio for every weekend home series. Does the same thing now that he lives in Ann Arbor (cut the drive time in half, but it's still a hike). Just talked to him and, while he can't quit them completely (he's been doing this for over 30 years), he's not renewing his second mini season ticket plan. It'll cut his usual 45 - 50 games to 25 - 30. He's pissed.

Bad enough they changed the name, but to go with something SO uninspiring...

3. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

I really thought they were going to go with Spiders despite the stigma attached to that name. If it were me and since I feel confident the NHL won't ever expand again, I'd have gone with the name of the old NHL hockey team...the Barons.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It's funny how the stinky odor on the word Indian is basically a creation of American WASPs and pretty much no one else.

I think that keeping legitimate names (Indians, Braves, Seminoles, Chiefs, etc) and non-caricature symbols of Indian people and culture around and alive is a good thing.

I feel like we may be inadvertently erasing these folks from our zeitgeist entirely, which is a shame.

B-Bob likes this.
  5. Slyonebluejay

Slyonebluejay Member
    Supporting Member

Gotcha. Makes sense. I remember the Indians logo from a few years ago was pretty bad

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

an example of "nice racism" ?

7. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Guardians is just the dumbest name ever. I cannot believe it. So so dumb.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The Cleveland Guardians patrolled plantations in Ohio.

9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um....the Guardians statues on the bridge near the stadiums. The name has a connection to the city. It's fine.

"Guardians of Traffic" statues.

#129 Mr.Scarface, Jul 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um...Ohio abolished slavery in 1802. There was no plantations in Cleveland. Cleveland was a trading post and was founded in 1796.

#130 Mr.Scarface, Jul 23, 2021
  11. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Cleveland Trading Post has a certain ring to it.

[​IMG]

#131 London'sBurning, Jul 23, 2021
    B-Bob likes this.
  12. Aware

Aware Member

Whenever stories about problematic teams like cleveland come up, i always think about how american would react to a team like colo colo and its badge. I've always seen it as one of the best in all of sports. I think this is a good example of "honoring" a native figure without it being some racist caricature.

[​IMG]

Would colo colo be cancelled?

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

History also taught us that Columbus was a hero and then punished him by naming a city after him in Ohio.

That's not a coincidence.

B-Bob and mdrowe00 like this.
  14. PhiSlammaJamma

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did you mean punish the city?

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Kinda praying this report is wrong. What a dumb, boring name. I've been looking for reasons to start following the team for a long time but God they're making it hard.

B-Bob likes this.
  17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Commandos? Five dollars off your ticket if you show proof of no underwear. :eek:

London'sBurning and DonnyMost like this.
  18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

They could have called themselves the Space Cowboys. Oh wait, that stupid name is already taken.