1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The state of the republican party

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 21, 2021.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

More to the story...

https://www.alreporter.com/2021/07/...es-racial-slur-against-blacks-during-meeting/

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

The actual news stories about the right are funnier than the dumb Sacramento bee satire articles @Os Trigonum posts.

In before “related” and whatever lame article he posts next.

MAGA 2024!!!

https://news.yahoo.com/milley-trump...DQBgKnlhe3oRfBHD57tB0lRr1r0DAbBfgudwa3uAd6QpE

dmoneybangbang and VooDooPope like this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet
    Supporting Member

Either the mayor said it or he didn't. I would support the councilman if he did, if he didn't I wouldn't, though it would be for his dishonesty in claiming the mayor did. It would seem a very strange tactic though. I think it is far more likely that the mayor is denying something that would obviously be a bad look for him than a councilman on the fly in the middle of a city council meeting pretends that the mayor said it and then references it as an attack on the mayor. To me, that doesn't make sense. He is obviously attacking the mayor in the video, not the black councilwoman, right? Why would he use such an awkward roundabout attack against the mayor if the mayor never said it? Essentially he is saying the mayor called the councilwoman a race traitor. If the mayor didn't do that, it would be a weird vehicle to attack him. Maybe Bryant is a crazy weirdo and made the whole thing up. If so, he should be condemned. To me, that just doesn't seem the most likely scenario.

5. NewRoxFan

One, they are both republicans and the local head of the republican party supported the mayor and admonished the councilman. Two, it appears that (according to the mayor) the councilman previously lied about something he claimed the mayor did and said. Third, the councilman admitted to calling the mayor "boy" (though tried to soften it by saying he said "little boy" and he did it to get a rise out of the mayor, as if that made it better.).

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

Also if you’re too stupid to know you can’t say the N word you have no business representing people.

But once again conservatives are only interested in pointing fingers instead of solving problems.

7. StupidMoniker

Supporting Member

Yes, I got all of that. So either the mayor is lying or the councilman is lying. The local head of the party sided with the mayor, but (and correct me if I am wrong) was not present for any of it and just believes the mayor. A question for you. Does the video make any sense if the mayor had never referred to the other councilperson as a house n****r?

8. NewRoxFan

Sounds like the councilman has issues and often doesn't make sense. But what makes even less sense is saying that word ever. Especially in a government role, and in a government facility, in a government function, while being televised/recorded into the official record. Regardless of the reason why (alleged reason why). It would not be acceptable in my company workplace.

London'sBurning likes this.
  9. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

If you were to accuse someone of saying something racist, do you believe it couth to casually say the racist remarks on microphone in front of an audience, including in front of the person those racist remarks were specifically directed at?

Forget the cameras recording it live even. Do you think that's someone exercising good judgment to speak that way at a bus stop even? Lets ignore their functioning role as a council member elected as a civil servant. Do you think that's good judgment to say in private without recorded devices? Would that strike you as the type of person to really look out for the best interest of their own constituents without any partiality or bias?

Given how incredibly easy it is to record conversations, you'd think the councilman would present some evidence of what he's accusing the mayor of. You're a BBS lawyer right? Doesn't it fall on the accuser to produce ample enough evidence to match what they're accusing someone of doing? Wouldn't that make it easier for you to defend him as you're doing? Why are you giving him reasonable doubt but not the mayor?

I mean, imagine if Rachel Nichols divulged to this dummy. She'd still be employed.

These other articles shared tell me this councilman is more of a racist culture warrior instead of someone who really is effective at helping local constituent needs.

Rashmon, Andre0087 and mdrowe00 like this.
  10. StupidMoniker

Supporting Member

If someone called my friend a n****r I would have no issue confronting them and asking why they thought it was okay to call my friend a n****r. I wouldn't consider that other people would think me a racist for calling them out, even if I repeated exactly what they said in doing so. I believe intent has meaning. If you read the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn out loud, you don't turn into a vile racist.
    Yes. Why would calling out someone else for being racist make you unfit to represent your constituents without partiality or bias.
    I wouldn't characterize myself as a BBS lawyer, no. Cases don't cease to exist because all the activities are not recorded. Are you joking? Do you have no idea how trials work? Most crimes are not recorded, despite the ease of recording, because people haven't started recording before it happens. Sometimes there is luck and something is recorded on a cell phone or surveillance video or body worn camera, but that only happens if the recording is constant or if the event is ongoing and continues after that recording starts. How many of your conversations do you record? How many of other people's conversations that you have overheard. Are you going to apply this standard to everyone else in the future, that no one has said anything that was not recorded? One thing we look at to evaluate credibility is context. If someone screams please don't shoot me, you might think someone is pointing a gun at them, even if you can't see the gun. If you see a video of a car driving and red and blue keeps flashing on the back of it, you might think there is a police car behind them. If someone says, "Do we have any house n****rs in here? Isn't that what you called her?" it would tend to indicated that the person being spoken to had called a woman that.
    Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. As I said, if the mayor said what he is accused of, I have no problem with the video. If he didn't, then the guy is a liar.

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

The right really wants to defend the use of the N word.

Strange hill to die on.

12. London'sBurning

Am I to assume the council member was a friend sticking up for the woman referenced in a derogatory way? Was that your take watching the footage? Did we watch the same video? That's not the impression I got at all. If that was the case, you'd think the woman who stormed out in tears would stick up for her "friend" then. She might have even publicly consented before the accusations were made and made it clear that the council man was helping her out by speaking up on her behalf. She might have even stood by his side in support when he was making those accusations if that was the case don't you think? You got any quotes of the woman who stormed out saying the council member was doing the right thing or anything? Your take would have more merit then.

Personally speaking when I've heard offensive remarks and spoke up about it, I never found myself needing to quote the person making offensive remarks verbatim. I still managed to communicate my disdain of the word choice very clearly even without directly quoting. You don't think he could have referenced his accusations with a different but still effective dialogue? Personally I think he deliberately chose his words specifically to call the woman in the room derogatory names himself. There's video footage of it even and her reaction after he said it. It seemed like she reacted in a painful way which I understand far better than the person's behavior you're choosing to defend.

Yea but you do need evidence when making a case right? If not a recording, something right? Something like other patterns of prior behavior that others can corroborate that matches what's being accused. I mean racist people tend to have a consistent pattern of saying and doing offensive things don't they? It probably wouldn't be hard to find even on their social media, preferred communication channels like texting or email or reference trusted friends that know what a person can be like when inebriated or feel safe to be truly uninhibited. A drunken rant at a cocktail party that goes way too specific and gets out of hand. Something like that. That'd give more weight that the mayor might have actually said what he's accused of. Do you have anything like that to reference?

I mean we live in a post-Covid world where Zoom and Skype sessions are pretty common. Even court houses have been opting for zoom meetings to do hearings to comply with social distancing guidelines. And city council meetings tend to be recorded, if not transcribed as that makes it easier to reference prior meetings so no one is accused of misspeaking at future meetings. I mean a recording is how we got this footage of this councilman saying what he said. It's pretty common nowadays.

If the guy is a liar, do you think he should receive any sort of punishment? I mean accusing someone of racism can cost someone a career. Falsely accusing someone of racism while using derogatory words when accusing someone of racism, to me, warrants some punishment. So I tend to think when making such accusations, you better bring some strong evidence to support it. I have a video to reference of the council man saying what he said. And other articles about the same council man that doesn't restore my faith that he could be telling the truth. I'm sure if someone took the time to dig up this person's social media, you'd probably find other content that supports the idea he's not exactly a civil rights activist. I'm sure if someone took the time to dig up what policies he's been in favor and opposed since becoming a council member, it'd shed even more light of his true intentions.

What do you have that makes you think the council man is being truthful? So far you've championed Capitol rioters, Derek Chauvin and now this guy. What makes you so confident to give them your esteemed defensive lawyering abilities free of charge on this BBS?

Most of the time, I usually am. Does this read like a joking post to you? I can link an Onion video or something if you'd like.

Here.

#1012 London'sBurning, Jul 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    mdrowe00 likes this.
  13. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...well of course they do.

The N word originally belonged to a lot of their voting base in the first place.

...just one more thing they're trying to get back in order to make America great again...;)

14. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

You do like saying the word ****** don’t you? You can thank me later for getting it blocked here along with f*****.

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Oklahoma can't block sales. Their law says the state government won't do business with companies that boycott Israel. I'm betting they've never had a contract with Ben & Jerry's anyway. Kroger brand is probably more in their budget.

Texas has one too. In fact, I think a majority of state governments do now.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  17. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Something like 30 states have/had anti-boycott Israel laws but a couple have been thrown out as unconstitutional.

18. StupidMoniker

Supporting Member

Not really, I don't think I have said it in more than 35 years, outside the context of quoting someone. I just don't believe it is a magical special word that requires an oblique reference. It isn't like the spirit of Nathan Bedford Forrest will possess you if the word crosses your lips. It won't presage the return of the dark lord like speaking of Voldemort. It looks like you failed to get f***** blocked, by the way.

No, that is just the context I would see it coming up in my own life. I don't sit on a city council, nor have I previously had dealings with a mayor that made derogatory comments about other city counsel members. I was describing a plausible situation I might find myself in.
    I'm sure he could have. This would have the advantage of making it very clear exactly what he was accusing the mayor of having said. Since it appears he is now running against said mayor, I could think of at least one reason he might want to make such a record.
    Yes, frequently the testimony of an impartial witness. Someone who saw or heard what was going on and them reported it.
    No, patterns of behavior are specifically not allowed as evidence except under very specific circumstances. We call this impermissible character evidence.
    I have no information about either person prior to this video. Either one could be a terrible racist. They could be the cofounders of their local NAACP chapter. I really don't care enough to find out, as they are two minor politicians thousands of miles from me. I saw a video and had a different take on it than some other people, that is the extent that I cared about it.
    As common as it is, the lack of a recording would not be considered evidence unless it was in a context where a recording would be expected. If the 7-11 surveillance system went down right before money went missing from the register, that would be noteworthy. That someone's private remarks were not recorded is perfectly normal.
    About the punishment he is receiving now, without being proven a liar.
    Yes, and that is what it happening to him. He is standing his ground and refusing to apologize and running for mayor, so it would seem he at least is maintaining that he was telling the truth. Again, this is with very little reading about it an no investigation of my own.
    Maybe. I have no interest in undertaking such an investigation, but you are welcome to do so.
    Just the video itself. To me, the man's statement makes no sense unless the mayor had in fact called the female councilwoman a house n****r. It would be so bizarre for someone on the fly to make that accusation in such an oblique manner that it just seems more likely to me that the mayor did what the councilman says.
    Have I? I am pretty sure I said they should all be charged and convicted.
    Yes. From what evidence I have reviewed, I would say this was wrongly decided. Information from the jury has made that more apparent to me since the verdict. As I said at the conclusion, I didn't watch the whole trial, there may have been additional evidence that would have swayed me, so I cannot say the verdict was necessarily wrong.
    I just enjoy talking about legal cases, evidence, etc. I like what I do, which makes for a happy life.
    I would hope so. I can't imagine someone seriously advocating that all accusations that are not backed up by a recording of the claimed activity are false.

19. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Well one out of two ain’t bad...

20. London'sBurning

I don't think anyone who finds offensive word choices derogatory shuns saying offensive things out of fear of retribution from a fictional character or possession from racially prejudiced historical figures. It's because it's offensive. It's offensive in thought the same way imagining a bacterial spiked fishing hook through the head of my **** is offensive in thought to me. It literally causes my face to cringe just thinking about it.