1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Dune - Denis Villeneuve

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Apr 14, 2020.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

Well, that is f'd up even if there is a little editing going on. Not. A. Good. Sign.

The first movie took the best part of the book and mashed it together. Fail. This trailer literally took the best parts of a crappy film. It's a bad recipe to take the best parts of stuff and mash to together without a new purpose. Tends not to work. You can do that, life is full of examples, but it has to be better.

2. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

New trailer for anyone who's interested.....

Deuce, tinman, Space Ghost and 3 others like this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Now I've seen the whole movie.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It’s a stupid trailer. My guess is that a very large majority of the people HBO hopes will watch the film(s) haven’t read Dune. They know something about it simply because of the ‘80’s flick, the miniseries that wasn’t widely seen, and the novel’s sterling reputation in the SF genre, often written about, yet haven’t read it. Why put so much of the novel’s story arc as Villeneuve envisions it into this trailer? The first one gave a taste, but one was left with a sense of mystery, of wanting to know more. Heck, I’ve felt that way and I read Dune when Herbert’s novel came out, and more than once in the years since. This goes too far, in my opinion.

It’s a stupid trailer.

#84 Deckard, Jul 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    Entropy and DreamShook like this.
  5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I liked the trailer. I read dune once and watched all the other stuff, but I dont remember any of it.

I love Jason Mamoa's whole Shtick. You can dump him in any movie and I feel it would work.

TWS1986 likes this.
  6. Entropy

Entropy Member

New trailer is visually better than the first one that came out. They fixed the color grading issues that were a big issue. Scenes being blurry in the background are still a pet peeve of mine, but overall things are improved. Too bad they can't fix the casting issues. So I'm going to pass on seeing it in theaters, will wait until it's inevitably released for streaming.

#86 Entropy, Jul 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    tinman likes this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

who dont you like on the cast?

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yeah for real. Kevin Costner is always superb.

9. Entropy

Entropy Member

Can't deny that. Open Range is an underrated gem, and he's killing it on Yellowstone atm.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I loved the first trailer however it was a bit theatrical. This trailer is more representative.

tinman likes this.
  11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

+1. I don't like a lot of the casting- Timothee C looks 10, although Paul is 15 in the first book, I just can't buy him as a leading actor in this sort of role. I also don't like Oscar Isaac, there's always something very disingenuous about him (to me). Jason Momoa just seems like a throw-in 'it boy' casting (I do like him in certain roles, though, but he is always the same person). Zendaya also seems like a 'popular actor' throw-in. I guess that's my overall problem with this cast, it's mostly a 'who's hot!' cast.

I'll still watch it but as @Entropy mentioned, it won't be a theatre watch unless the buzz about the movie is overwhelming. I did like Villeneuve's work on the Blade Runner sequel, so I think there is some potential.

Entropy likes this.
  12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Spicy

DreamShook likes this.
  13. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't watched this one yet, and probably won't. As a general rule, I no longer watch trailers that exceed 90 seconds. They tell the entire plot and give everything away. A 3:30 trailer is almost basically 3% of a 2 hour movie.

Deckard and Invisible Fan like this.
  14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

The first trailer was dedicated to the fans. The second trailer was for general audience.

I went back and watched the first trailer after watching the 2nd trailer again. It feels like an entire different movie using the same characters. I find the first trailer very exciting and hyped. The second trailer felt like a 3 hour movie with a very deep story.

dmoneybangbang and ryan_98 like this.
  15. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

This YouTuber saw the extended look preview (~20 minutes of the movie I think?), and he seemed to like what he saw quite a bit:

He does go into detail about what he saw, so if you don't want any spoilers, don't watch it. He seems to be a pretty big Dune fan, and while I guess he could be fanboying a bit, it seems pretty genuine. He's bashing Warner Bros hard in his newest video (due to WB claiming the content in another recent video of his), so definitely not a WB shill at least.

DreamShook and dmoneybangbang like this.
  16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I liked the trailer. Not sure what was given away as the biggest reveal in the book wasn’t even hinted at. Dune is your typical SF novel of good vs evil, lone boy goes on quest to beat bad guys trope. Never thought there was anything that special about it.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Didn't watch trailer but the vibes here makes me not want to read comments until after I watch the movie.

Deckard and DreamShook like this.
  18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Sucks they blue washed everyone's eyes in the movie.

19. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

don't believe 150 mins can capture Dune but i'll suspend my incredulity. the story is still lacking decent cinematic interpretation so i'm hopeful regardless.

20. dmoneybangbang

He has an awesome sci fi youtube channel and has been pushing out a lot dune content.

RC Cola likes this.