1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Iko] What I’m hearing about Rockets at NBA Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 22, 2021.

1. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I see no similarities in their games whatsoever. As I mentioned before, Vince Carter is a fair comparison to Green

raining threes likes this.
  2. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

I don’t understand why most of the people who want Mobley bash green so bad lol .. like their mind is made up that he’s one dimensional and it would be a mistake .. me on the other hand I been going back and forth between the two non stop but now that it’s a week away I’m def rolling with green !

i3artow i3aller, vince, AXG and 9 others like this.
  3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It might be because the so-called insiders have us leaning towards Green, so the Mobley Folks are lashing out at others. It's weird but these are weird times here. People are unnecessarily angry about this.

4. sydmill

sydmill Member

My thought was packaging picks for 2 for 1 deals. Say #19 & #24 for #14 or something along those lines? Maybe #23 & #24 for Precious and Okpala or some other young vets?

As for the second rounder that is probably an RGV player or draft and stash foreigner.

AND the Rockets would have more picks to move up next year to boot.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  5. Asian Sensation

I like Jalen Green a lot. That’s who I want and I hope we draft him. How does he remind you of Vince Carter though?

6. Rockets4Life13

You constantly trying to discredit anything Green has done by saying „it was the G-League hurr durr“ like that means anything is getting really ****ing annoying.

College isn’t an ounce better and it’s been shown many times why that’s the case by some other posters. I’ll quickly summarize it for you though, as you seem to be either too incompetent or too stubborn:

The best College players get drafted in the first round

the very good college players Get drafted in the second round

the good college players go undrafted and go to... the G-league or overseas where they start to train like pros and live like pros and fight every day to be in the NBA one day.

the average and bad college players go undrafted and live a normal human life

so again, where is the point you’re trying to make?

if you believe Mobley is the better player, sure that’s fine. But constantly talking about how Lou Williams or KMJ would have or have done „better“ in the G-League does nothing but make you sound stupid.

College is NOT better competition than G-League even if you wish it was.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I will be very upset if we trade back with Cleveland to let them have Jalen Green

8. sydmill

sydmill Member

There are jerks on all sides. While I really prefer Mobley I will hope that Green helps the Rockets return to the promised land if he is the choice and I will be behind him 100. I hope most of the Mob feels the same. Fan is short for fanatic and fanaticism is rarely reasoned.

9. sydmill

sydmill Member

Arent you interested in what the payoff would be though? Garland-Green-Okoro-Nance-Allen is a pretty intriguing lineup and Cleveland certainly could use the star power. I could see them being willing to make a godfather offer if the Rockets were interested in moving back. If Mobley and Green are viewed as similar prospects getting the player and additional assets could easily tip the balance one way or the other.

10. raining threes

I'm only I tested in drafting players that have the most potential to become superstars. Not merely stars.

Keep swinging for the fences until you hit one out of the park

With this criteria, Green is definitely the pick if Cunningham isn't available at 2.

11. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Athleticism, body control and jump shot. Mostly though they have a very similar first step and how they both can float in the air and manage. KMJ has this asset too

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

History disagrees with you.

The G league is and has been a joke. The best players from college go to the NBA, the next tier of players from college go overseas to play in superior leagues there. The leftover garbage end up in the G league. That's why dominating the G league is so easy to do. There are players who can outright dominate the G league who are benchwarmers in the NBA.

This isn't anything new, so when a top prospect merely does okay, it's a red flag.

A 20 year old Hartenstein averaged 20/15 in the G league when he was struggling to score 2 points a game in the NBA and his rebounding percentages were half of what they were in the weak ass G league. It took several years for him to be NBA ready and he's still merely a backup level player years after he was good enough to completely dominate the G league.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. Juxtaposed Jolt

It's typical of arguments where you choose between two options. Instead of praising the option you like, you try to tear down the option you don't. Both achieve the same end result...just, one is more negative than the other.

HTownTmac1 likes this.
  14. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Some of the GLeague portrayal or Green is SO disingenuos.

This is not a player that played a year in college, went through NBA summer league/training camp and then went down to score 7 points a game in Gleague.

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  15. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i wouldn't take bobbythegreat too seriously. i mean the dude said Ayton was the sun's best player.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, I said he led the team in win shares in the post-season, which is a fact.

I know some people struggle with facts, so you have my sympathies.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Speaking of Hartenstein, if we are going with Green, it's unlikely we'll be able to address the weaknesses at the 4 and 5, so maybe we should think about bringing the big German back, he's a FA and would be quality depth that shouldn't be too expensive.

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Nobody's offering a "godfather offer" to move up 1 spot.

And either way...Green is one of the surest guard prospects in years. I'd rather just take him.

19. DonatelloLimestone

History has shown the evolution of the Gleauge. It started as a minor, and now the "elite team" is the new program that is specifically designed to develop young elite talent. They have NBA Level coaches, assistants, trainers...they have no limitations on time with players like college.

They have nba sets, plays, and more importantly spacing on oppose to the college zone which doesnt translate as well to the pros.

They have professionss, borderline nba players, almost all gleague players are ones that did really well or starred in college and are on the edge of the nba. While in college you may be guarded by steven whose studying to be a math teacher. The fact is, its better talent than college
    The fact is, it has more nba prep than college

And specifically for the gleague elite squad program that Green has been in, hes a pioneer. He would've been paid well in college if you really understand that system anyways, he chose a harder route with a more streamlined training program just for the nba. I'm betting that its going to be better prep than a zone laden half ass college program that limits your time with a coach and plays subpar talent in zones. Things are changing, this is one of the new updates and I'd imagine they are going to continue to invest here as well as NBA africa too and the college days are coming to an end. You can cherry pick anecdotes, you'll find plenty of busy who did well in college each year too....but doesnt change that its a more promising developing pipeline than anything else we see outside of high level euro league which doesnt account for the style difference

20. vince

vince Member

The European and other International leagues pay very well. And basketball worldwide is taking off, while it’s losing popularity in the US.

I agree there is more money in International basketball than the G-League. But I seem to remember, many international teams have a limit of how many foreign players can play in their leagues. Hence, why the G-league was needed, not enough slots internationally for so many really good basketball players.

But there are millions and millions of dollars for international basketball players all over the world. But just for the best of the best not in the NBA.

D-rock likes this.