1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Iko] What I’m hearing about Rockets at NBA Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 22, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

2. dmoneybangbang

I've never heard of Silas being an offensive savant. Young teams almost always terrible at defense.

I just don't know what to think about a new coach who didn't have a normal training camp due to Covid, Harden traded for broken down Dipi, and then needing to showcase broken down Dipo and John Wall.

Good luck with DRocks mass tweets.

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Silas engineered the most efficient offense in NBA history his last year in Dallas - That's the primary reason he was given this opportunity.

When you consider the actual (lack of) talent he had to work with on the Rockets last year .... that 108.8ppg may be even more impressive than what he engineered in Dallas with Luka & Kristaps.

I absolutely agree he deserves a mulligan when he came in thinking he'd have two former MVP's and C.Wood added to a pretty solid playoff team to coach only to have the rug yanked out from under him .... then Covid and all the injuries to key players. That was a nightmare season.

I'm just saying I think he did a pretty decent job all things considered ....

As for @D-rock tweets .... Mobley's gonna be a solid player. I just don't buy the notion that he's the franchise altering player we're hoping for from the #2 pick.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

If you were paying attention, I do not believe Mobley to be a generational talent.

He may not even be the franchise player for Rockets.

But Mobley can be a building block for a championship team. He can be that defensive anchor with potential to be more, much more, on offense.

And I believe that Mobley has the lowest floor as well as the highest ceiling in this draft, if any of the top 4 players will be a HOFer it is likely Mobley.

Mobley is the BEST 2 way player in this draft.

As well as the most unique player in terms of skillset in a 7 footer that moves like a wing.

hakeem94, BamBam, clos4life and 3 others like this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

Then we are agreed, I misunderstood you as I thought you were dinging him for the defense. Silas's contract ends about the time when you are

I agree. We are nitpicking here over the #2 pick, it's just amusing how personal it gets. Personally, I think a bunch of short clips showing off select plays isn't very enlightening.

I think Mobley will be a good player, but I have a hard time betting on the elite two way potential.

6. sydmill

sydmill Member

To that end I have been thinking about a deal like this today. What say you cf?

Hou in: #3, #19, #32, & NYK 22 FRP
    Hou out: #2

Cle in: #2 & Obi Toppin
    Cle out: #3 & Collin Sexton

NYK in: Sexton
    NYK out: Obi Toppin, #19, #32 & 2022 FRP

7. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with you and the poster who said he would be wrong. I just didn't agree with saying his opinion was moronic, because nobody knows what Green will be. Looking back at that 2005 draft, you know who was 2nd pick, Marvin Williams, lol. Sometimes high picks underwhelm.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  8. dmoneybangbang

Overall I think so, but he understandably struggled against Gonzaga (which has the most NBA players). I also think the PAC12 competition is relatively weak so it's not exactly high praise to dominate there.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I'm happy with whoever we get

10. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

55% vs 61% TS but don’t let facts stop your agenda.

8 pages of nonsense, like the Texans forums circa 2 years ago. Sad.

Both of these prospects are excellent and someone deriding either one really doesn’t have a grip on this draft.

11. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Ok thanks for clearing that. So yea then rockets draft him then.

You said it yourself. Mobley is a player you draft when you already have ur franchise guy. to ,e he just like suggs. love them, hell they maty even have esarlier success. but we do have a franchse guy rn. kpj wood, they ant did enough to know that. so u keep swinging for franchise guys until its no doubt u have one

D-rock and Lloyd Estacio like this.
  12. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

so, you would select 3, 19, 22, 23, 24 and 32 in the same draft?

BallSoHarden likes this.
  13. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

What would be the point of #19 and #32 when you have #23 and #24? That is 5 roster spots if keeping all of those picks.

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

1 its easier to score in the blowouts or if the teams know you gonna give up at some point and lose at the end anyway...
    2 a man can be an offensive genius but still not good for developing players

i dont blame silas for the last year but man do we even know if hes any good and suitable for these young men...

you are tanking and ruining the years of meaningful competing and fun, you cant gamble on the coach and coaching stuff ...all the diamonds you are tanking for and drafting high, will they even matter in the end if you dont develop them properly?

at the end i would like your opinion on why rockets dont hire 15 shooting coaches, 1 for each player?
    I mean shooting is the most important skill in the nba its a skill thats not easy to master, but still it can be done with the discipline, work and practice and its a single thing that exponentially improves every player regardless of his other attributes.
    Thanks

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hahahhhahaha AWESOME, but i am sure he looked talented and someone projected and saw him dominating nba at some point in the future lolololol

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I didn't think he was particularly dominant .... pretty good most nights but not dominant. He didn't even have the best statistics at his position.

Mobley 16.4 ppg, 8.7 rpg, He doesn't make the top 30 in either category.
    Bassey 17.6 pg 11.6 rpg
    Queta 14.9 10.1

Queta also averaged more blocks , steals & assists.

NCAA Leaders - NCAA Blocked Shots | NBCSports

His being in the top 3 is projection , not based upon actual production.

17. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Comparing him to Lou Williams is as ridiculous as Comparing him to Kobe

FLASH21 likes this.
  18. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Mobley fans are just as delusional

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Harsh, but probably true, Lou would've been A LOT better in the G league than Green was.

That said, I was suggesting that he develops into a Lou Williams caliber player, not that he's that good now.

hakeem94 likes this.