1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Iko] What I’m hearing about Rockets at NBA Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 22, 2021.

1. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

Clarkson’s 19?

FLASH21 likes this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Offensively what is a "better fit" for Mobley ?

How do you maximize the talents of a 7 footer who shoots well below 30% from NBA 3 and doesn't have a Post Game ?

His handles and passing are good for a big man but they aren't so fantastic that you are going to put the rock in his hands.

He's Not going to be some dominant force offensively in any system - He just doesn't have the tools.

He'll either operate out of the pick and roll as the pick man or he will play in the dunkers spot on the baseline.

This dude isn't the unicorn people make him out to be right now. Yes , its possible he develops into that magical player but he has a hell of a lot to work on to even get in the ballpark of that unicorn.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'm sure he was at one point in his life.

FLASH21, BamBam, BallSoHarden and 5 others like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Could have been worse. Imagine how upset you'd be if he only shot 15% from 3?

Or heaven help us, 11% from 3???

Good thing both AD and Giannis actually improved from those woeful percentages.

Imagine that, young players improving.

#MindBlown

rhee and hakeem94 like this.
  6. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

The thing with Mobley is will he commit to a strenuous weight training program and put on 30 lbs of muscle over the next 3 to 4 years? If you believe he will, he’s hard to pass on. He has a semblance of a jump hook and a decent outside shot. He’s just special defensively which is why he should be considered. There’s a projection piece to this process too.

7. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Is it the same team giving us a first for Oladipo?

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That article contained nothing we hadn't heard before "from Stone" as it rehashes another interview.

The Sauces aren't "Rockets Related" they are just .... speculation just like we do here - "Some Circles". Only difference , that character gets paid for it.

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Did he really dominate the competition ? .... Didn't appear that way to me.

King1, raining threes and hakeem94 like this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

did you like the way silas used oladipo?

i am not convinced silas is a good coach...oladipo's play was imho low iq....

BallSoHarden and D-rock like this.
  11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Spurs. I think Mobley and Popovich make a lot of sense for the obvious, but they aren’t in the picture. I really don’t trust any of the teams in position to draft Mobley to get it right, but so much changes on a year to year basis who knows. Maybe Dream gets involved if he’s here. I’m not losing sleep if Mobley gets picked. I see the top guys this year bunched up with their own unique skills. Will depend on Stone and Silas’ vision for the team.

Corrosion, D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Let’s get it on!

13. dmoneybangbang

I'm giving Silas a mulligan for 2020 season considering all that has happened.

As for Dipo..... I think that was more of top down decision to "showcase" him for a trade, which obviously didn't work out too well.

14. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Harden isn't past his prime, he just getting warmed up... He'll be hitting the strip club hard in about 6 years once he retires with his 100's of millions.

raining threes likes this.
  15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Thank you for your incredible insight.

D-rock likes this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

That's fair considering we are trying to discussion multiple points started from different posters.

I just don't really see the point in the Lou Williams comparison aside from denigrating Green as "he'll only be a one dimensional scorer". They were pretty different prospects.

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I don't see us trading down to #3.

If we know the Cavs covet Mobley, they know we covet green! they take green #3 and then we're the ones that have to trade with them lol. there's no leverage there unless stone is willing to keep mobley. for example if he's really split between the two, take mobley and see if the Cavs give up anything, if not keep mobley. but if green is seen as the better prospect and the one stone wants, then don't play that game and just draft him.

I don't see us trading up to #13 or similar. the thunder and Knicks have multiple firsts and seconds and want to move up as well. I don't think Eric Gordon is the guy that beats out all other offers. tate, maybe... he's win-now, but also young and cheap, made the all rookie team, comes with a pair of late firsts... maybe...

for pick 23, either drafting or trading down is most likely. I think tier 4 sort of ends right before we pick at 23. hopefully someone from tier 4 slips to us, but if not and we're picking at the beginning of tier 5, its possible that stone decides to move back 10 spots, get a future first and still be able to select at the end of the tier 5 range.

for pick 24, either drafting or trading out is most likely. if a second tier 4 player drops to us we'll use both late picks and this would be a great draft! if not, regardless of what happened at 23, I think stone might consider trading this for a future first, or using this pick to help move wall's contract and clear room for KPJ and presumably green to have more minutes and speed up their development.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Look , I think Mobley will be a "pretty solid NBA player" .... particularly as a defender.

What I don't buy is that he's some unicorn type that's going to transform a franchise.

He's a decent enough shooter from NCAA 3 at 29.8% and you expect some improvement on that - but really , how much ? Do you expect him to suddenly become an elite shooter ? I think that's a stretch. More likely is he's adequate - something in the realm of average 31-33% from NBA 3 would be an impressive improvement but that's still well below "elite".

He's a solid ball handler & passer for a big man , but lets be honest here , those skills don't equate to point guard ball skills where he's running the offense as the primary ball handler and he's setting the table for others. You could really compare him to .... Christian Wood in that regard. Competent but I'm not putting the rock in his hands in crunch time , if he gets that shot , its a result of the offense coming to him , not going thru him.

He's NOT a dominant rebounder. In college Kelly O had a substantially better rebounding percentage than Mobley. Do you really expect that to change when the competition gets infinitely stronger ?!

His main positive is his defense - he can't be played off the floor with teams going small or attacking him in isolation. He'll anchor a defense .... but is that enough to warrant the #2 pick when the offensive game is so far away from the projections ?

Most of these "projections" are based off of a couple of highlight reel plays rather than things we can expect as the routine. These offensive projections are just not realistic ... nor does his overall game warrant a top 2 pick.

Verbal Christ, FLASH21, King1 and 4 others like this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't think Silas needs a mulligan for 2020 .... even if he deserves one for all the crap he faced.

He was brought in as an offensive savant and for the most part , he delivered in that regard. Think of how many times this team full of G-Leaguers put up 120 or more points ..... but lost. They averaged 108.8ppg ..... with a bunch of G-League talent playing huge minutes and no real star to speak of.

They could score just fine , what they couldn't do was defend anyone. Silas offense , the reason he was brought in , is legit.

D-rock likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

His passing, handling and court vision is better than "solid".

Mobley's projections are based on scouts and NBA experts who actually breakdown film for a living.

The Mobley naysayers are the ones who cherry pick games and concentrate on highlights AND lowlights.

Are you familiar with Alykhan Bijani, Salman Ali, Mike Schmidt, Frank Jackson, Zach Milner, Sam Vecenie, Kevin O'Connor?