1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Houston's options heading into the 2021 NBA Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

TimDuncanDonaut, 18pbr, Hui and 20 others like this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

For some reason I woke up today thinking the draft was today, and then I was sad.

But this makes me slightly happier.

Clutch, Rudyc281 and saleem like this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Stopped listening at "the man who would have drafted Harold Miner over Robert Horry"

4. dmoneybangbang

Alperen Sengun ftw!

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

#5 BamBam, Jul 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    raining threes, Clutch and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah, that was a big mistake to want the flashy guard over the guy who would revolutionize a Big position ;)

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Moral of the story is to never draft players from USC ;)

Hui, coachbadlee, Spacemoth and 9 others like this.
  8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I like the idea of trading Tate for 13 or 14. I think both those teams would move out for a proven player.

I also then like the idea of trading 24 for a second to stash a G League and getting a protected first next year.

saleem likes this.
  9. sydmill

sydmill Member

Thanks guys! Just listened and informative as always. One idea that has been percolating for me is a three way trade with Cle and NYK where the Cavs trade Sexton to New York for Toppin And draft considerations. Cle then routes those picks plus #3 to Houston for #2. Deal only gets done if Cle is hot and heavy for Green and the Rockets are split on Green/Mobley. Seems like a win for all sides though.

txtodd and saleem like this.
  10. sydmill

sydmill Member

Fleshing the idea out:

Hou Out: Pick #2
    Hou In: Picks #3, #19, #32 & #58 and 2022 NYK First round pick (probably similar to their current #19)

Why Houston does it:
    If management is split (or at least close) on Mobley/Green such a deal makes a lot sense to pick up more ammo to try and trade up into the lottery or maybe even make a move for a young vet. I think there are several guys in the second (Grimes and Kessler are 2) that would be great after a year in RGV or as draft and stash types.

Cle Out: Collin Sexton and Pick #3
    Cle In: Obi Toppin and Pick #2

Why Cleveland does it:
    I suspect Cleveland really wants Green. I think a starting line up of Garland - Green - Okoro - Nance/Toppin - Allen is a good young core. I think Green fits better between Garland and Okoro than he does here too. If Cleveland is sprung on Mobley maybe they move Toppin here and keep one of those picks from the Knicks in that scenario.

NYK Out: Picks #19, #32 & #58 and 2022 First round pick
    NYK In: Collin Sexton
    Why NYK does it:
    After last season the Knicks have to be all in on not taking a step back. Sexton - Barrett - Bullock - Randle - Robinson is a solid young starting line up and they could bring Rose, Quickly, Noel, Gibson and the 21st pick off the bench. Sexton is better than anything they might hope to get outside of Damian Lillard for whom they would almost certainly be giving up Barrett and Quickley.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A very broad discussion of Houston's options at 2, 23 and 24, and possible for trades moving up, moving down, moving around. You guys unpacked a lot! I'm almost dizzy from information overload. Thanks!

mikol13 and raining threes like this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I have to wonder if in 6 years @Clutch will change his podcast opening to......

"the man who would have drafted Evan Mobley over Jalen Green"

;-P

13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

When are these two men going to go from the podcast booth to the clutchfans banner?

Ramo$e likes this.
  14. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

And yet you tend to question me on things

15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

So much content. Thank you, guys.

If the Rockets don’t trade for the first pick, I’m completely on the fence between Green and Mobley too. Slight edge to Mobley right now. To be honest, I’m not completely sold on CC either.

So many possibilities at 23/24 and/or moving up/back in the draft. I could be wrong, but I’m highly doubting the Rockets keep all three first round picks.

Cannot wait to see what happens. Probably the most excited I’ve been about a draft since drafting Yao.

16. JW86

JW86 Member

Green might go first, still so much uncertainty!

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

3 first round picks in a loaded draft.
    No more talks.
    No more tricks.
    No more options.
    Just draft.

saleem likes this.
  18. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

Maybe, just maybe @Clutch will have to add “and the man who would’ve drafted Evan Mobley over Jalen Green” to that intro hahaha

Great work as usual, thanks so much for the time and effort. Love those podcasts!