1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Everyone on Fox News spewing garbage about covid vaccine is probably already vaccinated with covid vaccine.

cheke64, ROXTXIA and Invisible Fan like this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Cases, hospitalizations, positive tests rates (up to 7%) and deaths all up in Montgomery County. Vaccination rate is still well below 50%.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

"We didn't know" only helps with laws entitled folks can fix or coverup.

Laws of nature are something different.

'I'm sorry, but it's too late': Doctor says hospitalized COVID-19 patients asking for vaccines | TheHill

An Alabama doctor is opening up about her experience treating those hospitalized for the coronavirus amid a resurgence of cases, saying dying patients are asking her to vaccinate them.

“One of the last things they do before they're intubated is beg me for the vaccine. I hold their hand and tell them that I'm sorry, but it's too late," Brytney Cobia, a hospitalist at Grandview Medical Center in Birmingham, wrote on Facebook this week.

“A few days later when I call time of death, I hug their family members and I tell them the best way to honor their loved one is to go get vaccinated and encourage everyone they know to do the same,” Cobia added.

Alabama has one of the lowest vaccination rates in the country, with only 33 percent of its population fully vaccinated, according to data from John Hopkins University.

Cobia listed all the different reasons she heard from patients and their families about why they didn’t get the vaccine.

“They cry. And they tell me they didn't know. They thought it was a hoax. They thought it was political. They thought because they had a certain blood type or a certain skin color they wouldn't get as sick. They thought it was 'just the flu'. But they were wrong. And they wish they could go back. But they can't,” she said.

Cobia told AL.com that even though she knows the people made the choice to not get vaccinated, it is hard on medical professionals watching people die from the virus that could have been prevented.

“You kind of go into it thinking, ‘Okay, I’m not going to feel bad for this person, because they make their own choice,’” Cobia said. “But then you actually see them, you see them face to face, and it really changes your whole perspective, because they’re still just a person that thinks that they made the best decision that they could with the information that they have, and all the misinformation that’s out there.”

The White House recently called out social media companies, saying the misinformation on the platforms about the vaccine has led to people dying.

The delta variant of the coronavirus is causing a new spike in cases around the country, with the vast majority of those hospitalized or dying being unvaccinated.

AL.com
    For people who are hesitant to receive the vaccine, Cobia recommends speaking to their primary care physician about their concerns, just as she did.

“I try to be very non-judgmental when I’m getting a new COVID patient that’s unvaccinated, but I really just started asking them, ‘Why haven’t you gotten the vaccine?’ And I’ll just ask it point blank, in the least judgmental way possible,” she said. “And most of them, they’re very honest, they give me answers. ‘I talked to this person, I saw this thing on Facebook, I got this email, I saw this on the news,’ you know, these are all the reasons that I didn’t get vaccinated.

“And the one question that I always ask them is, did you make an appointment with your primary care doctor and ask them for their opinion on whether or not you should receive the vaccine? And so far, nobody has answered yes to that question.”​

#6903 Invisible Fan, Jul 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    jchu14 and Amiga like this.
  4. NewRoxFan

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

Tucker Carlson was afraid of a guy playing the drums, of course he got the vaccine.

6. NewRoxFan

7. NewRoxFan

A form of brainwashing’: why Trump voters are refusing to have a vaccine
    Pace of inoculations in the US is starkly correlated with politics

In downtown Little Rock, a chorus echoes around the room at Willy D’s Rock & Roll Piano Bar as groups of friends clutching beers and each other sing along to the soul hit “Stand By Me”.

Yet far from standing together, the capital of Arkansas is deeply divided over how to deal with a resurgence of Covid-19. Cases are increasing, hospitals are filling up and health officials are struggling to convince residents in the city and across the state to be vaccinated.

The pace of vaccinations in US states has become starkly correlated with politics, with Republican voters less likely than Democrats to have a jab, just as they are more reluctant to wear a mask or observe social distancing.
    [​IMG]
    About 35 per cent of people in Arkansas are fully vaccinated, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and only two states — Mississippi and Alabama — have lower rates of inoculation. By contrast, 56 per cent of people in the state of New York, a Democratic stronghold, have been fully vaccinated.

That poses a huge challenge for local health officials in red states as they battle the highly transmissible Delta coronavirus variant, which now accounts for 83 per cent of cases nationwide, according to the latest estimate from the CDC.
    [​IMG]
    The public health agency, which last week said the US was experiencing a “pandemic of the unvaccinated”, believes the proportion of Delta cases is even higher in places with low inoculation rates such as Arkansas.

“I am very concerned about the next several weeks and months,” said Jennifer Dillaha, medical director of immunisations at the Arkansas health department. “The Delta variant is spreading in our state. The growth of cases is exponential. The rise in hospitalisations is exponential.”

Surging coronavirus cases risk overwhelming the health system in Arkansas, which serves a population of roughly 3m. More than 780 people are currently hospitalised with Covid in the state, a number that has roughly doubled in the past two weeks.

“If we continue at the same pace of hospitalisation, we will double the number of patients in the hospital by the beginning of August,” Dillaha predicted. “We’ll hit 1,300 patients or more, which is as high as we ever got in this past winter.”

In Willy D’s, customers must agree to a bag search and a pat-down by a security guard, but no one’s temperature is checked and masks are non-existent. Kevin Newman, a 31-year-old estate agent who voted for Donald Trump in November, said he had not been vaccinated because he doubted the severity of the virus.

“If Covid was really serious, we’d have to pay for the vaccine,” said Newman. “Everything else is expensive so why are they giving it out for free? It’s suspicious.”

Similar opinions abound on social networks such as Facebook, which last week was accused by President Joe Biden of “killing people” for allowing vaccine misinformation to spread unchecked.

Health officials in Arkansas are trying to reach more people by offering vaccines at shopping malls and churches, while doling out incentives such as free hunting and fishing licences. But so far their efforts have done little to move the needle.

At a riverfront summer festival in North Little Rock on Saturday, stalls offered free food and toys alongside Covid vaccines. Yet over the space of an hour, just four people took up the offer of a jab.

“Every one that we get now is important,” said Barbara McDonald, a nurse at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) who was running the pop-up site. “A lot of it is fear. If they don’t understand it, then they don’t want it. So education is important.”

Some of the reluctance is ideological, underpinned by the belief that being nudged into taking a vaccine imposes on a person’s civil liberties. Others fear the jab poses a significant risk to their health after reading discredited theories online.

Steven Shaw, a 58-year-old Trump voter, said he had read online that Covid vaccines can alter one’s DNA. “That’s my understanding, from what I’ve heard, that it’s not really a vaccine so I’m kind of leery of it.”

Shaw also criticised cruise ships that require vaccinated and unvaccinated people to occupy different areas of the vessel, likening the rules to the Holocaust. “In terms of separation, it’s the same thing what happened with the Jews in Nazi Germany.”

McDonald has worked 60- to 80-hour shifts each week at her hospital since the start of the pandemic, and noted that many of her patients now were people who refused to have a jab. “Inside I’m frustrated, but I can’t show that. I’ve just got to speak to people and educate them.”

Not everyone in Little Rock is against vaccinations. In Doe’s Eat Place, a rustic restaurant chain known for its steaks and hot tamales, the walls are adorned with grinning photos of regular customers, including Bill Clinton, the former US president and Arkansas governor. And the staff must wear masks.

Clinton’s popularity in Little Rock has declined dramatically since he left office, but for the restaurant, which sits in a heavily Republican city, the photos of and letters from the ex-president are a source of pride.

Suzie, a waitress at Doe’s, said vaccine hesitancy and politics were inextricably linked in Little Rock and Arkansas. “It’s become political and it’s hurting a lot of people . . . The rural areas especially are very conservative.”

Doe’s Eat Place requires its staff to wear face masks © Nikou Asgari/FT

The walls of Doe’s Eat Place are adorned with photos of regular customers, including former president Bill Clinton © Nikou Asgari/FT
    That hurt is translating into higher hospitalisations across the state. Robert Hopkins, head of general internal medicine at UAMS, said that on one day last week the facility was “completely full” and patients were forced to wait in the emergency room.

Hopkins, who is also chair of the National Vaccine Advisory Committee, said patients now tend to be in their 40s, compared with the 60- or 70-year-olds who made up the bulk of admissions during earlier phases of the pandemic.

The deteriorating situation in Arkansas is replicated in red states across the country. Hospitals in neighbouring Missouri have been forced to transfer patients to other facilities and are seeking funding for more beds and staff.

“I don’t see anything turning it around, except vaccination,” said Dillaha from the Arkansas health department. “So if we’re not able to greatly increase our vaccination rate, then we’re going to be in for a very difficult fall.”

But far from encouraging people to be vaccinated, many Republican officials are pushing the other way. At least eight states with Republican legislatures and governors, including Arkansas, have banned schools and colleges from requiring vaccinations or proof of inoculation, for instance.

In April, Asa Hutchinson, the Republican governor of Arkansas, signed a bill banning government-imposed mask and vaccine mandates as well as vaccine passports, although he appears to have changed tack somewhat in recent days. Last week, he kicked off a statewide tour to encourage people to have a jab.

“It’s like he regrets it,” said Goldie Davis, a dental assistant, of Hutchinson’s apparent about-face, adding that her 34-year-old friend died from Covid on Friday. “Her whole family are Trumpers. It’s really sad. Everyone who’s not getting vaccinated are Trump supporters. It’s a form of brainwash almost.”

McDonald, the UAMS nurse, hopes that vaccine-hesitant people will eventually change their minds. “As more time goes by and they know somebody who’s been vaccinated, and they see that they’re OK, they haven’t grown a tail or something, and then they’ll get vaccinated.”

https://www.ft.com/content/39ff87ce-57b7-4007-9504-7eb2c7bc911f?shareType=nongifthttps://www.ft.com/content/39ff87ce-57b7-4007-9504-7eb2c7bc911f?shareType=nongift

mdrowe00 likes this.
  8. NewRoxFan

Remember when they were touting Florida response to COVID 19?

mdrowe00 likes this.
  9. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...it's been said before, but I guess I'll say it again:

...God must really hate Florida.;)

10. NewRoxFan

11. NewRoxFan

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What's even sadder is that I just heard that Dr. Cobia has been getting threats over her post and is backing off doing interviews or other public interactions.

13. NewRoxFan

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"Probably"? Whenever asked if s/he received the vaccine, that disinformation person clams up, starts screeching about personal information (Schmucker Grand Wizard Carlson); Marjorie Dips*** Greene ducked and dodged as well.

15. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A genuine death cult.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

People are F'ing r****ded.

DVauthrin likes this.
  18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Protecting the ego is very strong. Better be dead than to be wrong.

19. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

20. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Translation?