1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another case for Jalen Green over Evan Mobley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 21, 2021.

1. dmoneybangbang

That's fair. I just feel that KPJ and Wood are still more unknowns than knowns at this point and there's too much trepidation about how player X we draft will fit in.

We are closer to bedrock than an foundation at this point.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  2. CRJ713

CRJ713 Member

Stone should sell high on Tate and Woods. If we can get more picks for them go for it. I could see a team like Orlando/OKC/Cavs being interested in proven players. Those teams are always missing out on picks, why not take a developed player.

roslolian and dmoneybangbang like this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

I think Tate is still more valuable to us with that contract, but I think Wood is a very interesting trade piece. Tate isn't untouchable, I just don't see another trade overpaying him at this point.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Both of those guys improved their shooting. Green can too. He already shot 36% against grown men when he was 18

roslolian likes this.
  5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This is not a new argument and the way that I know that is that I have made it before. :cool:

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I've seen enough.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He's got some handle, for sure, and his hesitation moves are ridiculous. Jalen's got crazy good instincts. Of course, he's likely playing against the equivalent of the San Jac "B team," but Green showed the same things in the G League. The guy is a natural. If we get him, we're in for some great basketball.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Young guys are supposed to suck.

OKC was doodoo when they got Harden (pick no 3) but that didnt mean Jeff Green, KD and WB werent pieces.

I am really high on KPJ and given his age and inexperience KJ Martin might be something decent as well.

9. dmoneybangbang

The 2021 Rockets aren't the 2009 Thunder. I don't see a KD or WB yet. We got some pieces, but the foundation is unknown.

10. Roxfan4lyfe

Roxfan4lyfe Member

Question do the scouts think Mobley is a generational talent?? I don’t think so but he could develop into a decent player. You take the best prospect at 2 and I’m not going to lie the Rockets would be foolish to past up Green for Mobley and I said before why would the Rockets take Mobley when they already have Wood it’s foolish to me but hey I can’t wait for the draft

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Picks don't score points , win games or entice other players to join them.

At some point you need Good Players or you stay on the rebuild carousel like those teams you mention for years on end.

As far as Wood is concerned , even if he comes at the cost of a max contract in 2023 and beyond , with Wall & EG coming off the books at the same time , they'll still have a ton of cap space to explore the FA and trade markets.

pippendagimp and raining threes like this.
  12. raining threes

Green cant handle the ball?

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think you might be surprised at how good this team can potentially be with just a couple added players.

One real superstar guard / wing would make everyone else look better instantly.

I'm looking at the 2022/23 season and thinking they can be in the mix to win the whole damn thing assuming they use every tool at their disposal between now and then.

Draft well this year adding 2-3 players - one a star type.
    Use the MLE this year.
    Keep Olynyk.
    Another likely early lottery pick in next years draft.
    Use the MLE next year.

Then at the trade deadline of 22/23 when Wall is an expiring you leverage his contract and some draft capital into a star player to go with all you've built between now and then which should be a really solid squad & Wood nor KPJ really have to be more than serviceable.

roslolian and pippendagimp like this.
  14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This team is new new.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

People didnt know KD was a future mvp when they got him. Dude couldnt even benchpress 1 time and it alarmed a lot of people.

I dont think you ever really know you got a foundation. PHX wasnt even top 10 in the champ odds at start and they made it to Game 6 of the Finals.

Roxfan4lyfe and D-rock like this.
  16. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The problem with the idea of "maxed out" is most players in this league never reach that "maxed out" potential.

Take Ben Simmons as an example, elite on defense and was runner up for DPOY, with the right tools to be elite in other areas. However, despite being runner up DPOY at 25, his complete inability to shoot has made him a liability on offense, to the point where his value as a player tanked noticeable after this post-season.

It's better to evaluate players in terms of whether you'll be happy with them never being able to improve upon their weakness.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'm on Team Mobley.

D-rock likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is beyond people's control.

The truth is the team had more experience picking at No.1 than the 2 spot.

The 2 or 3 spot in the past were mostly about getting the gem when the first pick busted or disappointed.

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Safely mediocre

1 other person likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You can't get enough.