1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Elite team D wins titles

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'll accept this as your concession.

It's clear you couldn't argue what I said.

2. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Curry was a constant Rockets target in switches and isn't close to being good defensively. That being said, I'll give Mobley the edge over Green.

D-rock, Rudyc281 and sydmill like this.
  3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Hakeem Olajuwon falls in a faint

Plowman likes this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

Sure.... I can easily....

Green will be better than KPJ and this season KPJ won't even be able to hold Green's shoes........

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

How much will Mobley by himself impact the worst defense in basketball? Seems to me that the ROX are closer to constructing an elite offense vs an elite defense. If you cant score the ball then you make the opponent a better defensive team by default.

I think the better sentiment is that you have to have a balanced team. The "defensive" teams among the last handful of NBA Champions have also been able to score the ball with the best of them.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Lol, nice hot take kid. Now run along, you've had enough

7. dmoneybangbang

Also the Bucks traded for the elite perimeter stopper in Holiday and the Bucks traded for Middleton his sophmore season.

Defense is important, but I have hesitations on using a #2 pick for an esomeone who isn't quite a traditional center and isn't quite a traditional wing.

Dobbizzle and Verbal Christ like this.
  8. dmoneybangbang

Son, I thought that's what we were doing.....?

Just tossing a bunch of subjective "he doesn't belong on the court"..... "he can't even hold his shoes"......

That's how you denigrated Green with hot takes...... merely stating he'll never be as good as a lesser prospect. You do understand he has never played in the NBA?

9. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been going back and forth but am settling into the Green camp. I think both are great prospects; anyone who is using hyperbole to say that "Green just runs and dunks" or "Mobley is a poor offensive player" is really just wrong and cluttering the board with nonsense.

Mobley thoughts:
    -Elite potential on defense (though after watching film, effort is off and on). Doesn't have the bulk to be a 5 yet, which is a big factor.
    -Switchable potentially on defense. Not a Gobert by any means.
    -Shot mechanics are pretty good. Not an elite shooter but is a threat for spacing.
    -Pretty mediocre defensive rebounder, which is a red flag to me.
    -Great/smart passer.
    -Effort level wanes way too much at this stage.

Green thoughts:
    -Elite scorer, 61% TS is no joke in the G-League
    -Top of the line athlete; unlocks his potential/raises his ceiling
    -Smart passer, though not in the position to be the primary ball handler often
    -Below average defender (though anyone saying he's at Lillard/Harden level of bad just hasn't watched him. The effort is there; he needs to fill out)
    -Diligent worker/high effort player consistently

I see Green as a more sure fire asset and I see Mobley with a slightly higher ceiling. Both great prospects; I lean slightly towards Green given how special his offensive potential is.

EDIT - my one warning on Mobley is that we often get hyped on the "what happened lately" trends. Ayton was the talk of the league, but honestly sucked in the finals. I'm not sure we can declare "bigs/defense win championships". Lots of different teams with different profiles win championships.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its interesting to dive into the numbers. Bucks were actually better offensively than they were defensively. Ranked 4th in Net rating right behind PHX. So while defense most definitely is important, offense is equally important.

I ask myself if Mobley is picked how much will he influence the 32nd rated defense by himself? Maybe bump it to 28th? Not sure one guy will really make that much of a difference when I might argue that Silas and his inability to scheme defense may face most of the criticism. Is Silas really the right guy to develop a player like Mobley?

Adding Jalen Green to the 24th ranked offense could propel them into the top 10-15 of offenses. Any further growth from the existing nucleus would only push it further, and at the very least would give you an exciting brand of basketball during next season when everything points to another tough year where we may not win many games anyway.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

When the Nets beat the Bucks with their offense will OP start a thread next year saying we need to prioritize elite O?

D-rock likes this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

But that's what you did.... just proclaimed that Green wasn't even good enough to hold KPJ's shoes.......

Are you now saying you didn't do that?

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you watched them play, you'd know it wasn't hyperbole. It's nothing but a fair description.

KPJ dominated the entire league, Green was mediocre.

Look, I get Green's your guy and love is blind, but you've gotta try to be realistic.

15. HardenVolumeOne

got no shot if you don’t pay the tax, but if I’m an nba owner why would I throw my money away on a game dictated by officials

That’s why I can’t fully blame tilman, it’s a catch-22. The nba is not cut and dry like the other 3 major sports in America where the best team 90% of the time wins. Refs can dictate and change the momentum of any playoff game by swallowing their whistles and calling ticky tack fouls to get the favored team in the bonus

#75 HardenVolumeOne, Jul 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  16. dmoneybangbang

It's really not. The difference between the two wasn't close to "Green not sharing a court" or "Green not being good enough to carry KPJ's shoes". That's just biased hyperbole.

But pray tell.... Kuminga should just kill himself based on your subjective system?

Straight from highschool compared to college experience and NBA experience..... Just keep ignoring it.

I would never mistakenly get into hyperbole like you do. Green is not your guy and hate is blind but you've gotta try to be realistic.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  17. sydmill

sydmill Member

My plan to build a(n eventual) contender:

2: Evan Mobley: has been discussed extensively
    23: Trey Murphy (6'9''/206 with 7' wingspan and shot 43% on 5 3pta/game)
    24: Josh Christopher: bargain version of Jalen Green. Athletic slasher with a burgeoning outside shot
    trade House/Augustin to NOP for 2 of their 4 second round picks and select Quentin Grimes (6'5''/210 with 6'8'' wingspan and shot 40% on 8 3pta/games) and Kessler Edwards (6'8''/203 with 6'11'' wingspan and shot 38% on 4 3pta/game)

Roster without Wall or Gordon
    1 - KPJ/Thomas
    2 - Christopher/Tate/Grimes (RGV)
    3 - Martin/Murphy/Edwards (RGV)
    4 - Wood/Mobley
    5 - Mobley/Olynyk

That is a team full of long, athletic defenders each of whom is a capable 3pt shooter to surround KPJ and Christopher. With the floor spaced the two man game that can be run by Wood, Mobley & Olynyk with KPJ, Martin, Tate and Christopher would be devastating. AND the Rockets add two more first round picks to this core in the 2022 draft...

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ermahgerd wut do it meen?!

Caesar, Verbal Christ and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Im not hearing a whole lot of "defense wins championships" from this management team. The coach drools over any guard who can get to the basket and the GM is slow to give credit to MIL in that he claims injuries impacted who the REAL champ might have been. Hmmm.

Caesar likes this.
  20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The likely winner of it all, had everyone stayed healthy, is led by...you guessed it...The MVP, one hellacious big.