1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Elite team D wins titles

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

KPJ is considerably better than Green and he's a more well rounded player, if he's not worth building around, Green REALLY isn't.

Roc Paint and Plowman like this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I agree. There is a higher chance that Green will be a poor defender than Mobley will be a poor offensive player.

3. jb86

jb86 Member

I respect being realistic about everything but as fans I believe that we should also be positive about our current situation. Why? Because I believe we will do things the right way this time in this new era. Y'all stop being negative man dang.

Lloyd Estacio likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

Klay yes but Curry can get easily pushed around and is their obvious centerpiece.

5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Giannis has a unique skillset - no argument.... but all the rabble was about how size no longer matters (see 'smallball') and that big guys were 'unplayable in the playoffs...'
    Are there instances that go both the one way and the other? sure! Thats why i felt it was stupid to make such blanket statements...
    A lot of folks like to make broad general declarations and proclaim that they know 'just what to do' regarding roster building... my point is that its ALL situational and such broad declarations are short sighted...

clutchdabear and CriscoKidd like this.
  6. Lloyd Estacio

Lloyd Estacio Member

Yes. Giannis is essentially a very tall point forward ala Toni Kukoc. But he's just alot more physical

fchowd0311 likes this.
  7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

That was never the argument,

The argument was that unskilled big men who can’t guard the perimeter at all were unplayable and you would be better going small than with an unskilled big who can’t guard the perimeter.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

I think one of the reasons why people fear building around a big man who isn't a ball dominant wing or guard is that in the modern NBA they have difficulty getting the ball in their hands. Hence why guys like Towns and AD had many games where they just disappear on offense because their guards can't give them the ball.

When you have a superstar guard or wing who can control who gets the ball, it's much easier for them to dominate possessions and therefore much more difficult for them to become mere background noise for the game.

That's why Giannis' wing and ball handling skills are important. It's harder for him to become that background noise like it is with a more tradional big like Embid, Towns or AD. Tradional big men are too dependent on competent guards/ball handlers giving them the ball in the right spots.

kjayp likes this.
  9. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

The goal should be to build the best team possible. The bucks are a solid team, but ultimately they won only because of injuries, not because they built the best team. Yes luck is important, but you shouldn’t look at a lucky team and say “ya that’s the model we need to follow”.

jordnnnn and saleem like this.
  10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm ready for the draft to happen so we can be done with this

DreamQuake likes this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

You keep using this weird, incorrect logic.....

KPJ has played a full two seasons in the NBA...... but yet you constantly compare that to someone who has never played in the NBA..... Even when you bring up KPJ G League time..... he's still been in the NBA for a year and played ~50 NBA games.

Is KPJ considerably better than Green..... ? KPJ only averages 16PPG and 3.8 AST (3.5 TO). Seems pretty possible that Green can be better with two years of NBA experience under his belt. Seems pretty possible that Green will have a better career than KPJ......

Monkeychef02 and TheRealist137 like this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

This.

13. kjayp

unskilled anybody shouldnt be on the floor... you shouldnt throw some stiff out there just because he makes a nice tip of the pyramid in the team photo - lol.... but to say size doesnt matter anymore (and yes, i had numerous exchanges with posters who made this declaration) is just short sighted (pun intended)... lol
    The Lakers made adjustments and beat our 'small ball lineup' with size at the rim...
    Point being, that the ever changing dynamics simply dictate that you should find a more mobile big... not that size no longer matters...

and id still have that bulky big on the bench for situational needs...

clutchdabear and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

We saw them play in the same league against the same caliber of competition a few months ago and Green wasn't good enough to hold his shoes, didn't belong on the same court with him.

Now sure, KPJ is a year and a half older than Green, so feel free to make excuses for why Green wasn't any good, but you have to acknowledge the truth.

Right now KPJ is a lot better than Green and it's not close. You bring up KPJ's NBA numbers to knock him, but Green barely did that in the G league..... and he sure as hell didn't have a 50/10 game and isn't capable of it.

Now both are likely to improve, but with KPJ being so far ahead, it's unlikely Green bridges that gap any time soon, if ever.

Roc Paint, REEKO_HTOWN and Plowman like this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

are you even sure we have proper coaching and environment to develop this guy?

16. dmoneybangbang

LOL. Hyperbole noted. The fact you have to use such exgaggeration speaks volume of your bias.

LOL. More hyperbole noted. Somehow Green is still a top 4 pick despite "wasnt any good"..... Either you are wrong or everyone else is wrong.....

LOL. Further hyperbole noted.

It's almost like one has more NBA experience. Crazy.

TheRealist137 likes this.
  17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

we better or else KPJ will be a lost cause

18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I think with an owner more willing to spend we could have had a more flexible roster in 2019. We had to make a decision under our constraints. With Westbrook onboard no options were going to be great, especially with financial considerations.

19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If there's anything I'm sure of, it's our ability to develop bigs.

My only concern is the possibility of impatience on ownership's part.....

20. kjayp

i agree that Frittata's cheapness certainly drastically limited our options... and it seemed we playing catchup trying to 'figure it out' all season... the whole season was all just stupidness beginning to end imo... limited options and trying to figure it out as you go - is not a good combo...