1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it safe to say Jose Altuve will be the greatest Astro 2nd baseman of all time?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RKREBORN, Oct 21, 2017.

1. msn

msn Member

Exactly. Everyone who's on about Tuve's postseason prowess is right; no argument from me. He's my favorite current Astro and has been for a long time (not that that matters). But it's easy to forget what a beast Biggio was in his prime. It's also easy to forget that for much of that time he didn't exactly have a murderer's row around him ('98 notwithstanding), and it's also easy to forget that the killer-b era Astros had the misfortune to face some of the most ridiculously stacked postseason rotations you'll ever see. Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz. Kevin Brown, followed by Kevin Brown, with a chaser of Kevin Brown. (and freaking Sterling Hitchcock with a temporary Koufax impersonation, but I digress...)

Oh, and: f Walt Weiss.

That is all.

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'm sorry for the melancholy post, but the son I lost in 1997 would have been 35 last week (7/17) so he's been on my mind. He was a true prodigy, already advanced in Mathematics (Calculus) and Languages (Latin and Greek - self taught) at the age of 10.

Paul Bryant - Pretty good sports name too.

#242 Marshall Bryant, Jul 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  3. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Yet just one ring for those Braves teams... I still befuddles me how we lost with Oswalt-Pettitte-Clemens-Backe and more so with Verlander-Keuchel-McCullers-Cole-Morton...

arkoe likes this.
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Really sorry to read this. I’m sure that is a wound that never totally heals. Hang in there.

5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The wound heals, but the limb is gone forever.

eliefor3 and Snake Diggit like this.
  6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Yikes man. I'm so sorry and I can't even imagine how you feel. My son is a little older than that I don't know if I could recover.

7. MoMobley

MoMobley Member

Biggio might have been our best catcher there for a few years and an all star at 2nd base too. I want to see Altuve replace Maldy at catcher for a few years. That would be bad ass.

8. MoMobley

MoMobley Member

Our best player ever 5' 5" I hope he remains an Astro as a coach after he retires

9. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Considering Biggio's lack of arm... it is amazing he played catcher. Looked up his defensive stats... he gave up a lot of runs, subpar in throwing out runners (when base stealing happened a lot), and somehow led the league in passed balls one year. He was essentially a contact-hitting Gary Sanchez.

His defensive numbers at second don't look good either despite 4 gold gloves. Only one of those years (1997) did he do really well playing the field.

10. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Six years later...still looking that way.

Qan and raining threes like this.
  11. Qan

Qan Member

Let's give him 6 more years

ryan_98 likes this.
  12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If Altuve helps us win a 3rd ring, he will probably be the best Astros of all time for ANY position.
    He might be already.

13. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here's a good article by Ken Hoffman regarding Altuve's placement in Astros greatness. I think when it's all said and done Altuve will be regarded as the GOAT Astro.

14. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Genuine question. For those that defend biggio for his postseason failures, do you also defend harden for his? He had more success in playoffs and his opponent (warriors) were a bigger dynasty than the braves to go along with having 2 big time defenders (klay and draymond) to cover harden

Houstunna likes this.
  15. Radricky

Radricky Member

Lol are you really trying to compare biggios post season success vc harden which is an entirely different sport?

16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I could care less about Harden and could not tell you if he was an abject failure or won 10 Championships

This is a Houston ASTROS board.

The last time I watched the NBA Shaq was on the Magic.

Leave your basketball posts somewhere else.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

You're right a baseball player has just as much impact as a superstar NBA player, and a Cy Young level pitcher has no more impact than a great defensive player.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that brilliant reasoning.

18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Context still applies though.

A basketball player with good stats and loses would be deemed worse than a baseball player with good stats and loses.

Biggio has a much greater disparity between regular season and playoffs than Harden.

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Why do you sound so urked?

This is a HOUSTON board.

Most people here loved how Orlando's "New Young" Dynasty turned out.

SWEEP !!!

20. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

There is no doubting that. Gotta respect that Rockets team.

I should not be irked so I am sorry.

Maybe remembering that series is what irked melon.

Cheers.