1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Elite team D wins titles

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jul 21, 2021.

1. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

Giannis isn’t a “big man”, he’s a wing, that is a freak of nature.

Evan Mobley doesn’t have any type of skill resembling Giannis. He’s just tall

2. Caesar

Caesar Member

Yeah, sorry, nah. Nets sweep the Finals and would have discarded the Bucks in 5 with full health.

Deuce and Lloyd Estacio like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Truth to be told yes, but if you'd have a serious 2 way player as your primary star, you could plug in better offensive players than the players that shot 3 out of 21. (or whatever the role players shot)

You won't have to surround him with strictly defensive players. It would have been more balanced and frankly more talented.

And while MDA is a maestro, he isn't the big winner type.

The 2018 WCF season was an overachieving season on many levels, it wasn't a season that you look back and say yeah, that is the Rockets that can be favorites to win it or at least compete with GSW if Durant had not left for many years. (not just for 1 or 2 years)

Gerald Green scored 12 or 13 ppg, Luc also scored more than 11 ppg IIRC, way above his average.

Those smaller contracts.

#23 daywalker02, Jul 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    fchowd0311 and clutchdabear like this.
  4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You speak of COMMUNICATION...This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about regarding EM. He IS that guy. Like I said, the leader/coordinator of a great defense...with the talent/ability to play all over the court.

Roc Paint likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If Green is the superior offensive prospect, at the number two pick, I'd prefer him because this team doesn't have an offensive centerpiece yet.

My point is that unlike on offense, a defensive leader doesn't have to be the best player on the team. Great role players have taken on the role as the defensive leader on contenders plenty of times.

Usually the offensive leader is going to be the best player on the team. Role players can fill the role of defensive leadership. Role players can't fill the role of offensive leadership. Hence with high lottery picks, I'd prefer the superior offensive talent to the superior defensive talent.

Dobbizzle and Lloyd Estacio like this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

Is he a gem or a hard rock?

7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

6'11 isnt a big....? lol... ok, man... however u wanna rationalize it... AD isnt a big either i guess... lol

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The last 4 finals MVPs have been great two way players with good to great defense. Defense matters and you can't win a ring with a one dimensional guard as your best player.

Plowman likes this.
  9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let's say everyone stays healthy this year.

I honestly don't think the Nets could have beaten Denver. It's my opinion that the Nets couldn't have handled the Nuggets inside game as that's their Achilles Heel.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They have KPJ who is currently superior to Green offensively in about every way possible.

Green may be a decent sidekick and 3rd option who will eventually improve, but he's not going to be the best offensive player, let alone all around best player any time soon if ever.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

I think his point is Giannis starts his possessions a lot more from the three point line and wing compared to tradional bigmen. He handles the ball a lot more than tradional big men. You'll see Gainnis dribble the ball up the court. I don't think Mobley is that type of guy who's going to dribble the ball up the court.

Lloyd Estacio likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

Lol…..And Mobley was elite against the PAC12 and had the third softest schedule among the top 25 NCAA team.

He was a mediocre rebounder in a mediocre division.

13. dmoneybangbang

Mobley isn’t vocal, that’s something he will have to learn…

14. fchowd0311

I love KPJ and still think he can be an all-star level player but he doesn't have the base athleticism that Green has and Green's shooting stroke is more fundamentally sound. KPJ does have superior handles and court vision though hence why he would be the pg and Green would be the scoring guard.

clutchdabear and Rocketeer like this.
  15. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

I like Mobley, but his projections on offense are all over the place. This is like forecasting Jalen Green as a plus defender. They both have the tools and potential for it, but its mostly theoretical at this point.

I do feel like Mobley has a higher floor on offense than Green does on defense though, hence his "two-way"-ness. But some people assume he's gonna be some kind of Anthony Davis / Kevin Garnett hybrid, and I think we should pump the brakes on that.

16. dmoneybangbang

KPJ is overrated on here. You take BPA, if the Rockets think it’s Green then you take him.

There is no one on this team that is untouchable or worthy of building around. To think otherwise just shows an embarrassing lack of NBA knowledge.

17. fchowd0311

The Warriors did it (before KD) and the Rockets almost did it against an all time stacked team.

My point is you can have elite defense without your best player being an elite defender. However you typically can't have an elite offensive without your best player being an elite offensive player.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Both are streaky shooters, Green has a 15 game sample where he shot 36% in the G League, KPJ has a 15 game sample where he shot 38% from 3 in the NBA.

They are both highly athletic, but KPJ is also highly skilled as a passer and playmaker.

Right now Green couldn't carry his shoes, but the hope is one day he'll get better

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Let's face it, the Suns could have won, it was a 50-50 series on paper.

They just did not, maybe their youngins were not ready yet but it wasn't because of their lack of excellence.

They somehow lost their HC advantage while Milwaukee won their home games.

Plowman likes this.
  20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You seem to forget that Curry and Klay are good to great defenders. Especially Klay. He's one of the best on ball defenders in the NBA.