1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Prime TV] Invincible (Animated- from the creator of The Walking Dead)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Feb 23, 2021.

1. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Awesome show. Binged it in two days

Jontro and dmoneybangbang like this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

can't wait till michael bay gets the green light to direct the live adaptation.

3. val_modus

val_modus Member

Can't believe it took me this long to catch this. Think Boys, but less focus on social commentary, and more focus on interpersonal relationships. Also way more gore. Way more world building. This was an incredible binge. Wow episode 1 ending...

dmoneybangbang and ryan_98 like this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I binged it this past week and liked it but didn't think it was great. While it's about the dark side of superheroes it's a very different show than The Boys. Besides being animated it has far more reverence towards the genre. It feels to me more like a very dark version of DC Teen Titans from 20 years ago.

jiggyfly and Xerobull like this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Got some questions?

So the planet already had superheroes before Omni Man?

Why do all the characters wear the same clothes every day?

How long do they go before returning to the Vitrum plot? I thought it was telling that Omni did not kill the tailor.

I really enjoyed the series and can't wait to return for it, I liked the gore but I thought got a little fan servicy at points like TWD with the zombie kills.

I would be interested to know how does the comic compare I would probably like to start the comic.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't seen the show since this Summer but to answer some of your questions.
    It sounds like there is already an established universe in Invincible where the Earth there like the Earths in Marvel and DC already had superpowered beings going back to early history. It sounds like Omni Man was sent as an advanced scout for Vitrium to determine how difficult it would be to conquer Earth since it already had superpowered beings.

As for the characters wearing the same clothes every day. It's a comic anime. It's both easier to animate with them wearing the same clothes and establish character recognition.

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

They wear the same clothes for the same reason they've been doing it for 100 years: so the animators can reuse drawings and clips.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have never seen a comic anime where they wear the same clothes all the time unless it is a costume or a period piece.

Just seems kinda strange.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

In that universe, Steve Jobs was their clothes Messiah

Jontro and jiggyfly like this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This might be true but not all do it every time in their civilian clothes.

Ghost In The Shell did not do it, the major wore different stuff when she was not on duty.

I can name several more anime that had clothing changes this does not happen in all comics and anime.

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

I think Goku changed outfits 3 times in 250 episodes

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who is Goku?

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

Someone too awesome to be in ghost in the shell

Invisible Fan and jiggyfly like this.
  14. Xerobull

Those were high-dollar anime series. If the budget is there, they won't cut corners.

If you look at Invincible it was done on a shoestring budget, for some weird reason.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That's interesting.

I would have not even noticed it if Invincible did not have half his shirt untucked so it's not really a big deal just kind of noticeable.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm deeply offends Donald and Mickey don't wear pants.

Damn that shoestring budget and their wardrobe malfunctions

17. CCorn

CCorn Member

The creators of Mickey are struggling with money. They keep spending it all on super hero and space ****.

18. Xerobull

19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm way behind but finally binged this show over the past weekend. I really enjoyed it. I know there was some discussion in the thread about whether or not the ultra-violence was over-the-top or appropriate. I would say that there were certain scenes where the graphic violence absolutely added to the impact of what I was seeing. Other times it was probably a little unnecessary (like the fight scenes with the time-dilated aliens).

But for times like the subway scene, the graphic violence really made that one for me. Like imagining being in Mark's shoes in that moment and what he was seeing/experiencing...seeing that visceral gore just really hit it home.

Overall, I really enjoyed the show. I'm not one to watch a lot of cartoons (I did see the whole Avatar series), so I checked this one out mostly due to word of mouth, and I'm glad I did. Definitely looking forward to future seasons.

jiggyfly and dmoneybangbang like this.
  20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The violence matches the source (comic book) material so for the ones familiar with the story prior to the TV series it was great to see the translation from comic book to TV done without issue.