1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

2021 Trade Targets?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htownbball, May 18, 2021.

1. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Greinke did too, IIRC. It is sorted out in the trade negotiations.

2. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

raining threes likes this.
  3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Would like to somehow get both Max Scherzer and Brad Hand in a deal. Having hand thrown in would make overpaying for Scherzer more palatable.

4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I'd rather have Daniel Hudson than Brad Hand in that situation.

i don't think we will know if the Nats are going to be sellers until the day of the trade deadline. They are 6 back in their division. However, the Mets have Lindor and deGrom on the IL. The Braves lost Acuna. Plus the Nationals have a somewhat favorable schedule before the deadline with 2 more against the Marlins, 3 @ the Orioles, and then a chance to catch one of the teams above them in the divisions with 4 @ the Phillies. That's their schedule through the 29th. The deadline is the 30th. If the get within 3.5-4 games they probably stick with it.

Nook, HTXSportsAddict and BigMaloe like this.
  5. BigMaloe

Yeah a lot of moving parts. Curious why hudson over hand tho? Prospect cost? 2 yrs under control?

6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

They are both free agents after the season so that isn't a factor.

I like Hudson's stuff in the playoffs more. He throws 99 and isn't walking people. He's more of a strikeout pitcher with a 13.2 K/9 this season compared to 9.2 K/9 for Hand which his is worst K/9 since 2015. He's also having a better season than Hand. Hudson has been better in the playoffs in his career. Hand has an ERA north of 15 in the post season. Pressly is a better closer than both of them so for a setup guy I'd take Hudson.

Nook, BigMaloe and HTXSportsAddict like this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Hand has only given up two one runs in the postseason besides those scored off of Correa's bat.

Edit: Memory bad. I thought it was a 3-run homer by Correa instead of a 2-run homer.

#567 Joe Joe, Jul 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    Snake Diggit and jim1961 like this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

9. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Yeah his only other appearance was last year, when he blew the game (and thus, the series) to the Yankees. Got beat by Sanchez and LeMahieu. Not exactly a guy who inspires confidence. If the Stros desperately wanted Hand's mediocre stuff, they had the chance to sign him in the offseason.

Nook and raining threes like this.
  10. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Hand has pitched in 3 games in the post season and has given up 4 runs. Sure, tiny sample size, but I would rather have Pressly as the closer and Hand has primarily been used as a closer with limited appearances outside the 9th inning this season and most of his career. I'm just not a fan of Hand because it seems like I've seen ALL of his bad outings. The Yankees have owned him several times when I was watching including the playoffs last year and during the season this year. That makes me jaded as hell...

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He won't have to face the Astros or the Yankees in the playoffs. Pressly should be closer. Hand's playoff experience is a tiny sample size and not a good measure on predicting his future performance in the playoffs.

The Beard likes this.
  12. HTXSportsAddict

13. HeyBudLetsParty

Wonder what prospect capital it would take to get it done. Lee is my only untouchable, Leon would be tough to see go but seems to be the most appeasing piece. Javier, Chas, and 2 prospects 4-10 seems like a fair deal to me.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  14. HTown2017Champs

I agree. Catchers like him, who are the complete package, are arguably the hardest to find. Catchers who are great defensively and offensively are way too valuable. He's looking like a huge steal.

15. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Who are you talking about in particular?

16. raining threes

Thanks Luhnow for leaving the org in good shape for years to come.

17. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do what needs to be done, Mr. Click!

18. BigMaloe

Awesome good stuff, thanks for the info

Nook likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

• In addition to looking for bullpen help, the Astros are exploring the center-field market; MLB Network’s Jon Heyman listed them, along with the Phillies and Yankees, as teams that have checked in on the Marlins’ Starlin Marte (the Miami Herald, meanwhile, connected Marte to the Giants).

The Astros also checked on Bryan Reynolds, who is unlikely to be traded. The Twins’ Byron Buxton might be dealt if he does not agree to an extension, but still is not close to returning from his fractured left hand. The Royals’ Michael Taylor would make little sense. The Astros already have a similar player in Myles Straw.

— Ken Rosenthal

Snake Diggit likes this.
  20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Seems really odd to me that they stuck with Straw thru his struggles and now when he’s on pace for 3+ war they start shopping for a replacement.