1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mobley only working out for the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 7uche, Jul 20, 2021.

1. ickaruto

ickaruto Member

Legs, Person, woman, man, camera, legs

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

Touche!

ickaruto likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Cavs and Pistons not only teams thirsty for Mobley.

ickaruto likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Agreed. plus why wouldn’t Mobley work out for the pistons too?

7. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

I just can't see a big with his upside falling past 2, it's supposedly a guard league but it's AD and Giannis bringing home the rings.

JoeBarelyCares, ballplayer and D-rock like this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

AD? Really? What did AD ever do before he joined Bron? People stretch the truth way too much on here

9. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

He pushed the Lakers over the top for a championship, that team was mediocre before him.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

yet it was Bron who was the best player and leader of the team, and it was AD who was in the lottery almost every year of his career before he joined Lebron

11. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Without AD it's very doubtful the Lakers would even have seen the finals. I'm questioning the assumption I've read on here that bigs should be drafted lower because it's 'guards league'. Giannis and AD are proof bigs can still dominate in the league.

REEKO_HTOWN and D-rock like this.
  12. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Better basketball through chemistry?

BigM and D-rock like this.
  13. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

dude is 19 or whatever. most big men take a lot of time to grow into their body. it's why they are much more risk/reward than guards. what's encouraging is that he knows how to play the game. a lot of big men taking high have low bball iq and are needing to mature physically which leads to a high bust rate. mobley's size, potential athleticism, defense, potential to pass/shoot well is tantalizing.

groovemachine and D-rock like this.
  14. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

By having Wood AND Mobley on the floor together it also makes it futile for teams to try to have 1 of them switched onto their guard, as the other big would still be there to rim protect. Think about how much better our defense is with 2 rim protectors who can switch onto guards while the other rim protects/rebounds. It's a luxury no other team in the league has (2 bigs who can be inside/outside on both ends).

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I do agree with that even though I like Green more than Mobley. I have read Green is 6'5".

D-rock likes this.
  16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I don’t need to see pictures of other dudes, I understand the concept of putting on weight. Mobley is currently a slight guy. That’s a fact. You don’t have to defend every aspect of the kid, he does have flaws. I still think he’d be a great pick.

D-rock, Dobbizzle and saleem like this.
  17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Tell the Cavs we're picking Mobley, hand us your unprotected 1st round 2022 pick plus Green! Watch them tremble in their boots and cough everything up! Go Houston Rockets!
    @ApacheWarrior

18. JW86

JW86 Member

I want Mobley, but we won't pick him, so hope Raptors find a way to get him. He'll be wasted out there in Ohio.

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Honestly you're right in front of google. Why don't you use it rather than just making stuff up? Ralph played from 84 until 92. However, in 5 of those seasons he played 29 games or less. And he only played 10 games in his last season. He really had 3 strong years. He had four average years (though he only played 19 and 29 games in two of those years) and another 3 really bad years.

groovemachine and saleem like this.
  20. j@amc

j@amc Member

Mobley's best trait is that he's an elite help defender (based on the freedom of the college game) and a solid presence on the ball. His offensive game will grow as he gets stronger, but he can contest forwards and guards with ease.

But I have a hard time imagining Wood and Mobley as agile twin towers that can frustrate NBA offenses because Wood is pretty porous on D. I think he's already reached his ceiling on D. This is not to say they wouldn't be fun to watch, but I'm not sure that frontcourt beats many playoff teams.

If you draft Mobley, you're probably unloading Wood within 1 1/2 years and that might be an ok rebuilding strategy. Also, the tip end of the 2022 and 2023 drafts have elite wings and bigs with size (Chet Holmgren and Victor W). How patient are we willing to be in the rebuild? Trading Wood or a late first-rounder to get future assets in those drafts looks like the way to go.

So why go after Mobley at all? Why not play the long game and wait for a chance at the generational talent that's in the pipeline? Or is that too risky?

Verbal Christ likes this.