1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mobley only working out for the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 7uche, Jul 20, 2021.

1. 7uche

7uche Member

https://www.detroitbadboys.com/2021...unningham-evan-mobley-jalen-green-jalen-suggs

“Green and Suggs are already scheduled for later this week, but the Pistons might not get a chance to see Mobley in person. The tantalizing big man is reportedly only planning to work out at the Houston Rockets training facility. The Rockets, as we all know, own the No. 2 pick.

Breathless reports for weeks have indicated that the Rockets would love to trade up to No. 1, but fewer reporters seem to be indicating that has much of a chance of actually happening.

It seems that they can’t put together an offer good enough to dissuade the Pistons from using the No. 1 pick, and presumably they plan to use it on a Mr. Cade Cunningham.”

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This seems wrong or wrongly worded.

but if true… the ole “if HOU doesn’t take me maybe Cleveland will pass and the Raptors will grab me up” move.

anything to avoid Cleveland lol

3. HP3

HP3 Member

Cleveland:

[​IMG]

BigShasta, clos4life, hajkov and 10 others like this.
  4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm pretty sure this SBNation news aggregator story just misunderstood. If you look, this article is summing up (aggregating) the ESPN report today. The ESPN report said Green (not Mobley) is only working out for the Pistons and Rockets.

I think they somehow thought it said Mobley because they used the exact same "at the Houston Rockets training facility" phrase.

There haven't been any reports that Mobley is only working out for the Rockets.

mikol13, slothy420, HAYJON02 and 42 others like this.
  5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Wait, does this mean Mobley is a diva too? SO MANY DIVAS!

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Mobley has also worked out for the Cavs.

7. JayZ750

on his feed there’s a pic of Mobley with Steven Adams. He really does seem to have solid height on him. But obviously Adam’s way bigger bulk wise.

They also say he apparently had a great workout with the Cavs.

you’re going to covert me to MobleyMob lol. I still highly doubt his ability to get there but the potential AD/Giannis/KD combo is tantalizing.

52/48 Green/Mobley lol

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Mobley Tribe!!!!

Not large enough to be a mob, but tight enough to be a tribe.

#9 D-rock, Jul 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  10. csc177

csc177 Member

I need one of these for Jalen Green to see if this dude is indeed 6’6 and not 6’3

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Shades of Chris Bosh.

HTXSportsAddict, Rudyc281 and D-rock like this.
  12. H.D.

H.D. Member

damn Mobley looks good in that pic- Adams plays as a bona fide 5

13. JayZ750

My problem remains you just rarely see NBA level speed/fluidity with him. You see it in flashes… which then makes me wonder if it’s just a mentality thing or what.

I mean … I get it, you can still be Tim Duncan without Westbrook level speed and athleticism. But if we’re going to continue to dream of this hybrid 3/4/5 that can play some wing - which is the dream offensive scenario - I just want to see more consistent fluidity.

like if you go back and look at early Giannis games. Like early rookie year highlights. He still had nba level speed and athleticism. He was just skinny and less skilled. Same with KD.

he is closer to AD though. Which is fine. It’s just I’d rather (1) he be closer to Giannis so he really could be that hybrid and (2) don’t think he’ll be as good as AD offensively at an AD type game…. even if good.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Mobley is more Giannis on offense, except smarter and more deliberate with much better form on his shot.

His defense is more AD.

JoeBarelyCares, Milos, dcfma and 3 others like this.
  15. JayZ750

he doesn’t have Giannis speed. Which will be a big problem in the nba. It’s one thing in college.

Convictedstupid likes this.
  16. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Evan related to Cuttino?

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Does Mobley have quads? Next to a filled out center he looks real light. At least Yao had tree trunks.

That said, I’m sure he’ll fill out and I would be more than happy with him at #2.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Mobley at 215 is down right obese compared to Giannis at 196 when he came out.

Mobley is actually longer, taller and more explosive as well.

And more skilled than Giannis, back then for sure.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

The way the best bigs in the games now impact it is by their ability to rim run hard and pop out for threes in screen actions and, while on defence, is able to drop back and defend the rim, hedge out or switch and have the lateral quicks to stay with smaller players out on the perimeter.

It’s a lot to ask for, and most NBA centres can maybe do just one of these things on offence and defence, each, but the true superstar centres can do it all, and Mobley looks like one who can do it all.

Mobley looks like he’ll be able to become a true go-to option as his finishing ability and playmaking skills out of the pick-and-roll looked elite while he was in college.

He’s a vertical lob threat off a roll, can attack off the dribble and finish with force, has a good sense of when to pop out after setting a screen to find space for an open three or mid-range jimmy and, off the short roll he has the full repertoire of hooks and short jumpers you want from your big man, and has the added bonus of being a skilled passer who can make quick reads to find cutting or open teammates in the corner.

Defensively, Mobley might have even more potential.

As a seven-footer with very quick feet and explosive, fluid athleticism, he has no issues defending in space and showed an already advanced understanding of how to cover the pick-and-roll at the collegiate level.

Additionally, as a rim protector, you won’t find much better as his 87 total blocks during the college season ranked third among all NCAA leaders.

Mobley is a great athlete, as previously mentioned, and he utilizes it and every inch of his height, and combines it with exceptional natural timing to turn aside shots.

As far as a big man prospect goes, Mobley looks like the total package, and any team should be happy to have the chance to add him to their team.

20. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Mobley be skipping leg day.