1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Picking #2, #23 and #24 who do you...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballgame, Jun 30, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Been saying this.

Need to surround Green-Porter-Wood with long athletic switchable nasty defenders.

Kai Jones, Usman Garuba, JT Thor.

A 6'10 point forward like Vrenz would be good too.

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I know how much you're down with Evan. I know this! Am I tripping when I see Kai Jones out there shooting 3's with ease, and handling the rock BETTER than Evan? What am I missing? Why is Kai Jones not a higher upside prospect? The stuff he does on offense is stupid. He's a game changer on defense due to sheer athleticism.

Mobley/Cam Thomas or Jalen/Kai ??

Caesar, Corrosion and D-rock like this.
  3. ballgame

ballgame Member

No he don't. Too many young players is not good. Three is enough... #2, #23 and #24

No Worries likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Love Kai Jones but much different player than Mobley.

Kai is equivalent to Russ or Wall, they are gawds in transition. Amazing run and jump athletes but more impressive is their SPEED.

But extremely inefficient, turnover prone, inconsistent 3ball shooter, still needs to improve IQ, better 1v1 defender than help defense.

Kai also has inconsistent hands, inconsistent rebounder, doesnt always make right read and not as elite rim protector (6'11 but only 7'1 wingspan, makes up for it with crazy ups).

Mobley is high IQ, consistent overall defense, efficient offense, under control ball handler/passer and is just so much longer (7'0 with 7'4 wingspan).

And Mobley is true student of the game understands rotations, angles, moving defenders, unlike Kai who is still very new to basketball.

Mobley is team first and knows how to win, Kai is still figuring out how to be best player he can be. Still developing, likely not a day 1 starter so will need time like Capela.

As for your query, give me any of the combos below:

Evan Mobley/Jalen Johnson/Joe Wisekamp

Jalen Green/Kai Jones/JT Thor or Vrenz Bleijenbergh

Hell, Mobley/Kai works for me too.

Imagine the TRIPLE TOWERS:

Porter
    2022 FRP (Jaden Hardy?)
    Mobley
    Kai
    Wood

#324 D-rock, Jul 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    Verbal Christ likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets need to amass as much talent as possible.

They are the worst team in the NBA.

Start adding vets when Rockets figure out their franchise players and core.

Until then, the more the merrier.

Moe and Verbal Christ like this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I wonder. Kai Jones only took 5 shots per game in 22mpg vs 10 shots in 34mpg for Mobley. If you extrapolate his numbers to fit Mobleys usage the stats seem to be pretty close. Kai Jones was actually a better 3 point shooter 38% vs 30% on the same 1.2 shots per contest. Same free throw percentage. Mobley with the big nod in rebounds but it makes me wonder how much Jericho Sims and Greg Brown had to do with that. Mobley had free reign to snag boards at USC, well other than his brother at least. Passing goes to Mobley as well.

I havent seen that type of sheer athleticism from a big man (Kai) since Dwight Howard. Its crazy. He is a violent above the rim player.

Corrosion, DaDakota and D-rock like this.
  7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Got damn :eek:

Caesar, Verbal Christ and D-rock like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agree, Kai could be the MOST athletic player in this draft which is DEEP in explosive quick twitch players (Keon, Green, Ziaire, Scottie Barnes, Kuminga, Isaiah Jackson, Scottie Lewis, etc.).

But look closely at their shooting forms, Kai was the better 3ball shooter but his shot is whack - falls backwards, splays his legs wide, hands not always in front of his face - very inconsistent.

That inconsistency + small sample size has scouts correctly pointing out that he will need to spend countless hours with shooting coach.

Then watch Mobley shoot, always the same motion and form. Perhaps a little slow but he shoots so high that it is unlikely to be blocked considering his 7'4 wingspan and +9 reach.

That said, still love Kai Jones upside + energy.

#328 D-rock, Jul 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    MrButtocks and Verbal Christ like this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

D-rock and Fulgore like this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Holy Sht I just convinced myself for the Rockets to take Kai Jones at 2 (JJ)

11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Wood
    Jones
    Tate
    Green
    Porter

Verbal Christ likes this.
  12. smr6

smr6 Member

A poster on NBA draft reddit wrote a pretty in depth post on why he thinks Kai Jones is being overhyped and too big of a project that NBA teams should avoid.

Personally I like Jones and think that projects with crazy upside are exactly what we need with our non #2 pick, whether it be 23/24 or whatever we could potentially move up to with those picks in a trade. But its still worth a read for anyone who wants to see all sides to the analysis on Jones.

13. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

This guy reminds me of Christian wood but a more athletic player than Woods. He could be our future Center!!! The first year, play backup Center
    and he could rebound, block shots and run the floor with Porter and Green...............Explosive!!!!!!!

Verbal Christ and D-rock like this.
  14. platypus

platypus Member

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

JT Thor says all the right things .....

MrButtocks, platypus and D-rock like this.
  16. kiwirocketsfan

Mobley's brain is what makes him special, Jones is an amazing athlete for sure though, would love to get him.

D-rock likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Mobley Tribe loves Kai Jones!!!

18. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

His 3 point shot stresses me out.

Corrosion likes this.
  19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Great read. Thanks for the link.