1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rebuilds are actually a lot of fun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vince, Jul 20, 2021.

1. vince

vince Member

Thanks.

I had just been thinking, how the Rockets had Harden, CP3, Tucker, Capela on the team, and wham it all got nixed in a blink of an eye. Because CP3 and Harden had a falling out; and then Harden’s insistence to get Westbrook came at the cost of a future via draft obligation owed - especially when Westbrook was obviously not the ingredient the recipe for success called for.

I think it was half a season of moping around, but the fan zeal seems to be picks up based on picking up a top tier draft talent.

Nothing like a rebuild to get the core fan base out and congregating.

xaos likes this.
  2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

"Congregating" as in at each others throats calling each other offensive names in order to validate an opinion?

Sad part will be that no matter who gets picked there will be a contingent of angry contributors who will be chomping at the bit to trash and demean the new Rocket every chance they get.

I agree though - I forgot how much "fun" looking up draft bios and playing junior GM was.

burlesk and Dobbizzle like this.
  3. xaos

xaos Member

The moment CP3 had a hard time getting up from the hamstring I had an overwhelming feeling that I just witnessed the peak of Rockets basketball since our championships and had to watch a downhill spiral. Before the draft lottery I saw there was a 48% chance that the downhill spiral would continue. Once we landed #2 I could feel the curve going back up again and that brings a lot of excitement back into watching this rebuild. Last year was more a tear down (necessary) whereas now it feels like a rebuild

palmsnbananas, amaru and burlesk like this.
  4. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I actually watched 95% of the games this season. I forced myself to watch as many as I could to remember how much it sucked as I'd gotten a little complacent towards the end of Harden's tenure. Whilst I do understand where fair-weather fans are coming from, I feel more obligated to watch my team when they're bad and experience that hardship alongside them. It also makes it much sweeter when you do start doing well. Besides, there are always little joys to be had (though this last season WAS a tough one.) I used to love those Scola/Battier/Martin/Lowry/Brooks/Budinger era teams, despite us never being a force.

Verbal Christ and burlesk like this.
  5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Getting to the playoffs every year with a legit shot at a title was fun.

Finishing last and hoping to draft a superstar? Irritating and anxiety-inducing.

6. xaos

xaos Member

Yup, the demolition is the worst part of a team rebuild. I think the uncertainty of landing a top 4 pick made it worse

Verbal Christ, topfive and burlesk like this.
  7. amaru

amaru Member

Unfortunately, this is the most likely outcome based on past moves.

8. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I doubt the Pelicans and their fan base enjoy rebuilds… constantly looking over their shoulders because some LA team wants to treat them like a farm

conquistador#11 and burlesk like this.
  10. vince

vince Member

Glimmer of hope is that Wood, KPJ, Tate, and Martin look like solid NBA players that can grow with a young squad. So, it’s not like it’s starting from scratch….

But in a rebuild, a whole lot of stuff can go belly up, and whole directions might need to get nixed and started all over again.

Hopefully, it will be a smooth rebuild, but we as fans must prepare for a rollercoaster of a ride.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Definitely more fun offseasons.

But if Green is a bust, things could swing pretty quickly to sour.

vince and burlesk like this.
  12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well, if we are honest, ever since Morey joined the Rockets, the offseason has generated more excitement on CF than the real season.

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its a win/win/win/win if you ask me. Perfect year to tank - ur I mean have a bad year. ;)

vince likes this.
  14. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I'm wearing Cougars shirts to my b-ball games now, so let me know when the fun is over, and I'll pull my Rockets shirts back out of the drawer.

vince and Rocket River like this.
  15. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

I remember the last rebuild the Rockets had was when we traded for a rookie Steve Francis and had a young exciting duo of him and Cuttino Mobley, yeah it was fun for the first couple of seasons but it got stale pretty quick when you realized they weren’t going anywhere.

vince likes this.
  16. tc0330

tc0330 Member

at this point idgaf who we get as long as its cade green or mobley. im gonna be happy regardless

Verbal Christ likes this.
  17. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I can admit I missed the last 7-8 games. It was incredibly difficult to sit through the rest of the games. What a mess of a season. I’ll blame it on the shakeup, the injury comeback, the injuries, a green coach and GM, and no fans. Next season reset all expectations.

18. kiwirocketsfan

Certainly less stressful than losing in the playoffs, and hope is a helluva drug

19. icewill36

icewill36 Member

Until you realize you still have a cheap owner who will fail to pay for the talent necessary to win it all even if we do get our hands on a superstar. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

20. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

They’re great if you don’t care about winning.

BamBam likes this.