1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it safe to say Jose Altuve will be the greatest Astro 2nd baseman of all time?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RKREBORN, Oct 21, 2017.

1. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

Love Biggio and Bagwell, but when the playoffs started, they dedcided they couldn't hit. Stats do not lie. Hope Altuve can get anohter 5000 AB's, so we can get a better comparison.

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

He didn't spend enough time here. He's a Cincinnati RED to most people.

HTXSportsAddict, vince and Astrofan59 like this.
  3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If we win the World Series and Altuve does typical playoff Altuve things, he will be considered the greatest Astro of all time. He isn't vocal, but there is no doubt he is the leader of the ball club. He brings that quiet swag.

There is also a good chance he will be second in career post-season homeruns by the end of the playoffs. He only needs 4 homeruns in the playoffs to be only second to Manny Ramirez. He's currently number 6 on the list. Pretty good for a 5 foot nothing contact hitter.

#223 rockbox, Jul 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  4. msn

msn Member

He actually spent quite a bit of time in Houston. It's just that his Cincinnati teams were such an incredible dynasty that everyone remembers him as a Red. Horrible, horrible trade, by the way.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  5. vince

vince Member

I like Altuve because besides being a great player, he seems to be great in the clubhouse. I sense the Astros clubhouse is very relaxed and fluid, with him as a cornerstone of this Dynasty.

Biggio and Bagwell, two hall of farmers were both salty. They were old time baseball mentalities, about the etiquette of the game. And this was good up to so far, because it put too much pressure on everyone; those guys never seemed to play loose in the playoffs. It wasn’t until 2005 they made a World Series, and by that time Bagwell was on one leg and Biggio well past his prime; Clements and Pettite took over with their own swagger.

Biggio has better stats because he played longer and was able to play at least average for the later part of his career; but nobody would confuse him for an MVP or all star during that time.

I’m a huge Biggio fan, and very much enjoyed his style of play; but up to now, Altuve is superior to Biggio comparing an equal playing time. Longevity cannot be taken for granted, just see how Bagwell fell off overnight it seemed…

6. rockbox

Bags played in the steroid era. Not saying he did roids, but almost everyone did roids back then.

vince likes this.
  7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Biggio's peak was every bit as good as Altuve's, one could easily argue better.

The massive difference in postseason accomplishments puts Altuve ahead of Biggio, but Biggio is still ahead of Altuve (or at least equal to) in terms of regular season performance through their first 10 seasons.

msn and vince like this.
  8. msn

msn Member

Easy to forget how great Biggio was, because his prime was twenty years ago, and because he did not shine at all in the postseason.

9. rockbox

He pretty much **** the bed in the post season. Altuve's peak was an MVP and a champion also, so that has to carry more weight.

HTXSportsAddict and SamCassell like this.
  10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

11. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Would we remember Hakeem as a legend if he put up David Robinson-like performances during the postseason? And comparing Robinson to Biggio is doing a disservice to the Admiral. Biggio/Bagwell in the postseason was like Nick Anderson in the 95 playoffs.

The postseason counts. A lot. If Altuve brings this city a second title, it's a no brainer. Even if he doesn't, I think he's going to be forever beloved in the city of Houston in a way that Biggio isn't, based on what he's done so far.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

He's certainly one of the best Astro 2nd basemen, but Biggio had 20 years and Altuve now has as many seasons as Joe. If Altuve walked tomorrow he wouldn't be there in my opinion. But give him on more extension and he's close to a lock.

Both might have better overall careers. but we're only counting their Astros years.

13. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I am suprised Biggio is not even listed as one of Altuve's top 5 comparables on Baseball Reference through age 31:
    1. Dustin Pedroia (915.4)
    2. Ray Durham (883.3)
    3. Michael Young (881.0)
    4. Jose Vidro (880.6)
    5. Tony Lazzeri (877.8) *
    6. Hanley Ramirez (877.7)
    7. Edgardo Alfonzo (871.6)
    8. Chuck Knoblauch (870.8)
    9. Harvey Kuenn (870.2)
    10. Craig Biggio (869.7) *

14. lnchan

One shoulder for Bagwell, not one leg.

Biggio's 1997 and 1998 seasons was incredible... finished top 5 in MVP both years.

msn likes this.
  15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Interesting. Now you're combining Biggio on the field, Beltran in the playoffs and Jose Cruz in the stands into one Altuve. I can't fight that argument.

SamCassell likes this.
  16. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Biggio has longevity, but the difference in postseason performances is just too far in Altuve’s favor to not be the deciding factor for me. It’s just one stat, but I think Altuve even has more postseason home runs in one game than Biggio had in his entire postseason career...

arkoe, HTXSportsAddict and rockbox like this.
  17. rockbox

I'll say this again. Altuve should be top 2-3, depending on what Correa does, in career post-season homeruns only behind Manny Ramirez by the end of this postseason. He's already the top Astro regardless of position.

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I have few memories from the best years of Biggio and Bagwell other than box scores. I was in an extended dark period of my life after losing a son to death and other four children to ex's wanderlust.

19. lnchan

OMG. That is correct.

Biggio 2 postseaon homers in 40 games. Career .234 batting average.

But regular season WAR with 5+:
    Biggio: 5 but with a 9+ in 1997
    Altuve: 4 + on track this year.

20. msn

msn Member

Man, I'm so sorry.