1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Updated Payroll Status - No reason to not keep Correa...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Landry's Tooth, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Landry's Tooth

With the help of Spotrac I looked into the impact of some possible deadline moves the Astros could be looking at...

Next season Smith, Verlander, and most of Greinke's salaries all fall off the books...

Setting aside most of the younger bullpen arms we have 17 players committed next season. Their salaries would add up to $123,749,000 assuming modest raises for all the pre-arbitration and 3 million for Framber in his first arbitration year and 5 million for Diaz in arbitration. This figure also includes the 12 million deferred money for Greinke.

The big league payroll this season is about 190 million not counting benefits or minor leaguers on the 40 man roster.

So just maintaining their current payroll would leave more than 65 million in annual salary to spend.

Let's say they send a couple of pitchers (Garcia / Javier as example) and a couple of lower prospects for Max Scherzer who would want a 2 year 60 million extension to accept the trade.

That would then leave 35 million to fund Correa and 6-7 cheap bullpen arms.

It would be a tight squeeze, but they could do it if Verlander and Greinke are gone.

Rotation;
    Scherzer
    McCullers
    Valdez
    Urquidy
    Odorozzi

Now that tight squeeze lightens up a little in 2023 to further fund raises to players like Valdez or Tucker.

Diaz could be let go as a free agent to save 5 million.
    Maldanado could be let go if Lee is ready to save 3.5 million.
    Baez' 5.5 million falls off (team option for 2023)
    Brantley falls off at 16 million per season.
    Pressley's 10 million falls off.

So there's 40 million just to maintain the current team with players from the minors on the cheap. If Correa is re-signed Brantley might be replaced by Leon or Yordan in left (not counting on it). They could also try to re-sign him or Pressley depending on the money at the time.

The bottom line is they have enough dead weight salaries falling off over the next couple of years (Baez, Smith, Diaz, Verlander, Greinke, Maldanado) that can easily be replaced with prospects and cheap young players.

I would make a deal for Scherzer but before doing it see if Correa would take a little less knowing Scherzer is getting added.

Getting Scherzer means you can win more with pitching and defense and need Correa's bat less if he were to leave.

Milos likes this.
  2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

The Astros likely would not have a problem spending 30 million the next few years on Carlos

The tough part is do they want to be paying him 30 million 8 years from now, 9 years from now and 10 years from now

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It’s not really a matter of whether they can afford it, it’s a matter of if $250M/7yrs or whatever contract Correa is gonna get is a good use of resources. Would you rather have Correa for 7 years, or Semien for 5 years AND Scherzer for 2 years AND a guy like Valdez or Alvarez or Tucker extended for a year into their free agency? Because that’s the real choice.

vince, Nook, Pringles and 5 others like this.
  4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I've broken down the payroll for next year multiple times. Astros have 40ish million to spend next year to get back to their current level unless they move out some guys.

Verlander, Greinke, Correa, Smith, and Raley = 74 million coming off the books.

HOWEVER, you have a 10.5 million dollar AAV raise for McCullers, raise for Maldonado, raise for Castro with his incentives he's reaching, raise for Yuli, raise for Pressly, and Odorizzi is not making anywhere close to his 8ish million AAV all the sites have listed for next season. Odorizzi is likely to make 14-15 million next season because of his incentives that are VERY obtainable.

Then you have to factor in arbitration raises for Framber, James, Diaz, Stanek, and Pruitt. I would estimate that adds about 6-8 million in payroll.

Also, something nobody seems to mention... next year Bregman makes 13ish million again. Yes, his AAV is still 20 million. HOWEVER, the following season Bregman's salary jumps to 30.5 million. His AAV might be 20 but that is REAL dollars coming out of Crane's pocket. Also, that same year the Astros will have a massive boost in salary via Framber, Urquidy, Javier, Yordan, Taylor, Stanek, James, and Tucker all being in arbitration. Then the following season add Luis Garcia to that list.

So yes next year the Astros have flexibility. However, it is not so clear the next couple years beyond that. Hell, Bregman's raise wipes out Brantley's salary when he comes off the books after next season. Not in AAV.. but in real money.

MoMobley, Handles and Bregatron like this.
  5. Major

Major Member

The reasons to keep or not keep Correa have very little to do with whether the Astros can afford it. It's *should* they afford it and does Correa even really want to be here?

Milos, MoMobley and Snake Diggit like this.
  6. Landry's Tooth

Altuve's deal will fall off by the time they pay Yordan. Brantley money can be used on Bregman bump. As long as Leon and Lee are legit big leaguers they can stradle the salary...

Think of it like an assembly line... as old guys like verlander, greinke, brantley, and Altuve fall off you shift the money down the line....

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

He has said he wants to be here, and I think he would if the Astros fielded a competitive offer. “I love this organization. I love the Astros. I would love to be an Astro for life,” Correa said. You never heard any of that from Springer or Cole.

The Beard and rockets1995 like this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ultimately will be Crane’s decision… as is everything.

Still always in wonderment how so many people are concerned with the spending habits of others. Unless you see a direct correlation that payroll expenditures makes it more expensive to be an Astros fan (and with dynamic pricing, that very well could be the case)… if Crane wants to spend the extra money to retain certain players, he knows his (and the team’s) finances better than anybody.

9. Landry's Tooth

If he's going into next season replacing Correa with Leon and running a 125 million payroll then he's not serious about winning.

Forget Scherzer... if they just pay Correa close to market they could still trim 20 million in payroll easily...

If money is that tight you cut loose Diaz for example..

10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

It's sports. Spending on good players helps make a team more competitive. We (fans) all want our teams to get and keep good players. That costs money.

I don't think that's the sort of thing that should place you in wonderment. It's the same concern people had with Tillman and perpetual roster moves designed to avoid the luxury tax during the contending years.

11. awc713

awc713 Member

Did this really need its own thread?

jim1961 and Snake Diggit like this.
  12. Major

Major Member

We all hope that's true, but words are meaningless, especially when someone's under contract anyway and is trying to get an organization to pay maximum value. Correa also talks in general way more than Cole or Springer - you never heard those other players talk about the contract offers they got from Houston or anything like tha. I'm sure Correa would love to be Astro for life if they pay him more than anyone else. The question becomes what happens when someone else offers to pay as much or more.

Regardless of what he really wants, he should make it seem like he'd love to be an Astro and that he's open to offers from them - it adds one more bidder to the pool.

I'm not saying the Astros shouldn't sign him or that he doesn't want to be here - just that we never really know. Players have images to maintain, and part of the allure of Correa is his loyalty to an organization. He has to play that part because it generates value for him, regardless if he believes it.

MoMobley likes this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Of course it has a direct impact to the type of player a team can have. I’m not necessarily talking about the people who are angry for lack of spending.

There’s a healthy subset of people who are concerned with an owners decision to spend money on players, not the opposite. Just like I’m sure there are some applauding Tillman’s decision to avoid the luxury tax so the Rockets (and his) financial situation is in a better state.

Crane has been ultra-consistent in terms of fiscal responsibility… but also spending market value to extend windows. They did not need to extend Altuve when they did. They did not need to extend JV. The Bregman extension ultimately got rid of the extra arbitration hassles and gave him a fairly good down-payment on being a possible career Astro.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don’t think Crane will put out a non-contending team with a large payroll….That is a recipe for disaster, even if the team has a slight outside chance to contend for a wild card spot.

With the Astros locked into prime years of some core/star players, they should look to extend the window every which way.

15. Landry's Tooth

If the Astros use prospects to replace Correa, Verlander, and Greinke then the payroll next year would be roughly the same as the 19th ranked payroll TX Rangers this year...

19th in spending is really hard to finish the year #1....

Click came from Tampa, i hope he realizes he's allowed to spend money...

16. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I misinterpreted your original post then. And I agree with you point - it's odd how people urge fiscal responsibility and advocate for a billionaire saving money as opposed to paying the guys who play.

I understand the concerns when you talk a salary cap and the wasting of salary cap space - a commodity that teams have in limited supply. I assume that folks who are concerned about overpaying baseball players imagine catastrophic consequences down the road for the overpay. But you're absolutely right that Crane is a smart guy who can take care of his own money. And if the team can accommodate Verlander's $66m for 1 inning the past two seasons and still be highly competitive, it's unlikely a Correa overpay renders them unable to compete in the future.

BigM and Nick like this.
  17. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Zack Greinke is getting a huge contract by a team like the Padres

Justin Verlander could go to the Angels. He lives there in the off-season.

Joe Smith is leaving

It is sad Jake Odorizzi, Pedro Baez were signed.

I was hoping Jake pitched better, but he is inconsistent or bad.

Astros have 5 really bad contracts. 3 of them will be gone.

18. PhiSlammaJamma

Carlos puts us North of 2 billion in value. Easy sign. No hesitation.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I don’t think Correa is lip servicing when he says the Astros are his number 1 choice. Or were before the season started. My guess is he takes our offer if it’s extremely competitive with the best he gets. No idea what Crane and company ultimately feel comfortable with though.

The Beard and HTXSportsAddict like this.
  20. MoMobley

MoMobley Member

Correa has made it clear. He is only about the money. Our 25 million a year offer was a slap in his face when he is often out of the lineup or slumping. I'd just as soon he leave. Although I do love his defense.

#20 MoMobley, Jul 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2021