1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. adoo

adoo Member

Warp speed was about the R&D effort.

After Moderna vaccine was blessed by the CDC as being >90% effective;

Trump & wife got the vaccine shots in the WH, there no photo / no press conference to promote it.

the carnival barker did not bark like he did the cleaning solution and other disproven COVID cures​

#11641 adoo, Jul 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    CCity Zero, Deckard and No Worries like this.
  2. Roscoe Arbuckle

Do you find this fun? We show you facts and you discount them?

It's a sad life, son.

3. adoo

adoo Member

just the opposite
    • you give orange hair sole credit for Vaccine, when there was a 10-year R&D effort leading up to the Moderna vaccine
    • you deny that orange hair, as the POTUS, did not publicize about him getting the vaccine shot

actually i show you the facts, you deny them. ignorance is bliss

facts are, as it relates to the vaccine, as POTUS, the carnival barker did not bark like he did the cleaning solutions and disproved COVID cures.
    instead, he hid the fact that he and wife got the vaccine shot

#11643 adoo, Jul 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    TWS1986 likes this.
  4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You have to take VAERS with a grain of salt. There is little to no verification of the data. Also 7500 people die in the USA every day. Statistically, a number of those will be folks who died after receiving the vaccine.

CCity Zero, FrontRunner and Amiga like this.
  5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

If you're still anti-vax or think this is just the flu, you're an idiot.

whag00, TWS1986, ElPigto and 8 others like this.
  6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Except that around 35,000 in the USA die in a typical year from the flu while around 400,000 died in the USA in a year from COVID.

CCity Zero, Deckard and daywalker02 like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

A rebel.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Natural Selection is thinning the herd of the idiots, so it is all good.

Invisible Fan and cheke64 like this.
  9. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

My wife's family is pretty hardcore conservative and while I like to think they are being sarcastic bringing up microchipping as reasons why they don't get vaccinated, I'm starting to think they truly believe that. Sucks because they already had an outbreak within their family back in last June, but it hasn't convinced them all of them to get the vaccine. Feel like it's only a matter of time before delta variant causes another outbreak.

10. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

A couple of hold out relatives got their first shot today as they saw some friends go into the hospital. The friends had COVID last year and got it again, so it finally pushed them to get it.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

It's happening as we speak...

12. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

I meant within my in-laws.

Rashmon likes this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A former colleague of my significant other, in her 30's with two young daughters and having had both doses of the Moderna vaccine (which I had myself some months ago) with plenty of time passing for it to take effect, recently went to Utah a couple of weeks ago to visit family. She gets home and bam! Comes down with a severe cold, one that really hit her hard. Out of an abundance of caution and with two kids and a husband, she gets tested to see if it's Covid. It is.

At this point, she doesn't know if it was a particular variant, but the odds are good that it's the Delta variant. The vaccines, especially the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines early on, help tremendously, but they don't prevent infection as well as they did against the earlier variants, when they prevented infection at rates above 90%. My S.O. was supposed to have drinks with her and several other people she used to work with this afternoon. Needless to say, this friend won't be there.

"The most recent data from Israel evaluating effectiveness of the Pfizer/BioNTech mRNA vaccine against the Delta variant found the vaccine to be 64% protective against infection, and that the vaccine is 93% effective in preventing severe disease and hospitalizations. Other studies indicate that the Moderna and Johnson & Johnson vaccines are also effective against the Delta variant."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/20/health/us-coronavirus-tuesday/index.html

14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I don't disagree with you - I do sometimes wonder if the flu count is a little higher in comorbid cases and they're not typically bothering to do the extensive testing/reporting. I'm not saying covid is a flu/same category and not trying to give people wrong information or state flu deaths were even close to covid or something if everything was perfectly reported (I mean I'm sure there are missed covid cases too). Just something I was kind of thinking about... - I'll stop here before giving any talking points to some posters on this board though... Haha

bobrek likes this.
  15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well I’ll be on vacation and hopefully no Delta on my Southwest

Deckard likes this.
  16. Roscoe Arbuckle

That 400k has seemed very suspect; especially because the CDC stopped posting total US deaths per month as soon as this happened.

Regardless, Covid is here to stay, much like the flu. There will always be variants year after year. How a person chooses to handle that is and should be their own business.

I've been exposed multiple times in the past 18 months. It doesn't scare me, personally. But everyone is free to do whatever makes them feel safer. Just stop with the lockdowns. That proved to be a horrible idea.

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Sorry I had a bit of a medical scare with my GF yesterday as I was writing this. She's fine for now, but life can throw curveballs at you fast.

I've already had a covid vaccine shot and it was like having covid again for 3 days for me. My heart also felt tired on it...that's the best way I can describe it. I'm not rushing to get a 2nd or 3rd shot until we see more data.

I had to google your link because it was behind a paywall so I was trying to find an alternative site. I did try two more links for this story from The Guardian and they were also behind a paywall lol. I need to find more studies specifically relating to covid infection and antibody response with 1 shot or 2 shots. The data is not clear the last time I investigated it.

I'd prefer to have a blood test determine if I should have a 2nd dose.

25 June 2021
    Is one vaccine dose enough if you’ve had COVID? What the science says
    Research shows that a previous coronavirus infection plus one dose of vaccine provides powerful protection — but concerns linger.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01609-4

When I was looking to find non-paywalled links I saw this as the 2nd news story and thought it was interesting to share since it's new data. I know in Brazil they don't seem to have had the same experience with the Manaus study.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robert...east-nine-months-study-finds/?sh=3c1b8daa543d

Antibodies From Covid Infection Last At Least Nine Months, Study Finds
    Almost all people who have recovered from Covid-19 have detectable levels of antibodies nine months later, according to a new study of almost the entire population of an Italian town, bolstering earlier research that suggests a prior infection conveys some protection against the coronavirus.

KEY FACTS
    Over a span of nine months, researchers from Italy’s University of Padua and Imperial College London tested more than 85% of the 3,000 residents of Vo, Italy, for Covid-19 antibodies.

The researchers, writing in Nature Communications, found that 98.8% of people infected in the first wave—around February/March 2020—still showed detectable levels of antibodies nine months on when tested in November.

There was no difference between people who had symptomatic and asymptomatic illness, the study found.

Lead author Dr. Ilaria Dorigatti said this suggests that “the strength of the immune response does not depend on the symptoms and the severity of the infection.”

For some people, antibody levels actually increased between testing, indicating a boost to the immune system from another infection with the virus.

The possibility of further infection could mean that people with antibodies—whether by infection or vaccination—are capable of transmitting the virus even if they are protected from disease, the researchers warned.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

The CDC was forced to stop posting deaths by the previous presidential administration. Don't be naïve.

TWS1986, Deckard and Rashmon like this.
  19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

It depends and it is a federal crime to file a false report into VAERS. You can actually read the reports and some are extremely in depth and others not so much. After looking at what it takes to file a report I think you'd have to be pretty motivated to file a false report. I tried to do the process myself.

Also, they do note sometimes if they think the death was coincidental and are filing the report out of an abundance of caution. I've looked at the Yellow Card data from the UK and the per capita deaths roughly seem to line up with the US experience. Granted vaccine types are different in each country, but I think it's worthy of investigation to see if there is an underlying thread.

For example. in one of the reports they noted that they followed up with genetic testing and found a specific mutation that might have been involved with the blood clot related death.

I don't know how many death reports I read thru but the large majority of them didn't seem coincidental deaths. It could be because I focused on the ones that had longer reports to read. It appeared that the majority of deaths occurred within 1-2 days of the vaccine. It would take a lot of good research work to actually go thru them and determine things more certainly. Without question it's far more than regular flu slots or MMR shots based on the reporting.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

What do you mean? The data was always fine from the CDC. It's always been very delayed though. They did change the format up roughly around when Biden took over, but I don't think it was anything relating to him.