1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ben & Jerry's to stop sales in West Bank, east Jerusalem

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Jul 19, 2021.

?

Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream flavors

1. Hamas Hazelnut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Netanya moo

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Peanut-butter Lemon Oreo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Rocky Road blocks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Pralines N Passover

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Shalom Sherbet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Peppermint Intifada

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  8. Bacon free Brownie

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

#1 tinman, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    Os Trigonum likes this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think they need a Woke Berry flavor

tinman likes this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

this didn't take long

https://blogs.timesofisrael.com/my-arteries-and-the-territories-the-ben-jerrys-boycott/

My arteries and the territories: The Ben & Jerry’s boycott

Alan Edelstein
    JUL 20, 2021, 3:37 AM

While my arteries may be happy, it pains me to say this: I will be boycotting Ben & Jerry’s and, to the extent I can keep track of their myriad holdings, the ice cream company’s parent company, Unilever. I will be urging others to do the same. (Ben & Jerry’s is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Unilever. In an unusual arrangement, Ben & Jerry’s is run by its own “independent” board.)

Ben & Jerry’s announced that it is boycotting the “Occupied Palestinian Territories.” Its announcement is vague and confusing, which probably reflects the lack of in-depth knowledge and the confusion of those making this ill-advised decision.

Does the announcement apply to every inch of the land beyond the 1949 armistice lines, including Jewish neighborhoods and communities that, until the Obama Administration referred to everything beyond those lines as “settlements,” everyone, including the Palestinian Authority, understood would be included in Israel under any two-state agreement?

Does it include Jerusalem neighborhoods to the north and south of the city center that straddle the “Green Line” and that were established to provide a buffer after travelers on the road into Jerusalem were constantly harassed and bombarded by Jordanian forces when they controlled the hilltops surrounding the narrow corridor pre-1967?

Does it include Gaza, the territory Israel withdrew from in 2005 but which the anti-Israel/pro-boycott choirs now applauding still refer to as “occupied?”

Does it refer to all of eastern Jerusalem, or just the shops and apartments with mezuzahs?

Does it mean that the shops in that part of the Jerusalem neighborhood of Abu Tor that are on the west side of the 1949 armistice lines (which no one recognized as a final border) go on selling Ben & Jerry’s while those on the east side of the line do not? Same question regarding Beit Safafa and Talpiot and a host of other neighborhoods.

If so, watch out for a Saturday night stampede. Funny — I can continue to buy my car tires in Beit Safafa, but not my Ben & Jerry’s sugar rush.

Does it mean that all of the Palestinian neighborhoods, towns and shops, and millions of Palestinians, the great majority of whom are under the jurisdiction of the Palestinian Authority, will no longer be able to buy Chubby Hubby and Chunky Monkey?

My guess is that no one, including the crowd-pleasers who made this decision, knows the answers. My guess is that they have not thought this out because they know so little about the issue.

The one thing that is clear is that those at Ben & Jerry’s who made the decision probably feel very righteous about joining the “progressive” parade to single out for special treatment the only country in the world with a Jewish majority.

What this will probably wind up being is a very awkward and offensive targeting of predominantly Jewish neighborhoods and communities, and of Jewish shopkeepers, and of Jewish consumers.

I am a long-time supporter of two states. I am under no illusions that the Palestinians have acted in a way that makes them the most deserving of all the people who demand independence, or that such a state will be a Switzerland of the Middle East, a model of democracy living in peace and harmony with its neighbors.

I support two states because including a couple of million more Palestinians in Israel will mean the end of Israel as a Jewish state and/or a democratic state.

And yet I find Ben & Jerry’s decision outrageously offensive, counter-productive, and stupid.

At best, the decision reflects a lack of knowledge about the Israeli-Palestinian dispute and is ill-considered. At worst, it is a manifestation of Jew-hatred, aka anti-Semitism.
    more at the link

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

If you are the type to boycott over this, you should have never purchased a single pint to begin with.

#4 juicystream, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    malakas likes this.
  5. tinman

Supporting Member

Forgot the deliciously the Yass Sir Almond butter fat

mtbrays likes this.
  6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yawn. We’re talking about ice cream here. Leaving Israel itself aside, the state of things in OPT has been appropriately compared to apartheid. Surely B&J’s is within its rights to decide they don’t want to be part of the normalization of these conditions and to not renew a license to continue selling their product there.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Ignore the hypocrites in this thread

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

What a price to pay for genocide. The chosen people have it so hard man.

Nook likes this.
  9. tinman

Supporting Member

Tel Aviv chocolate dome

10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Trump Derangement Nut Crunch

11. tinman

Supporting Member

I’m going to save the D&D another 50 years of discussion

you know what’s going to happen between Israel and the Palestinians in the next five decades ?

nothing

12. Major

Major Member

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Orange sherbet sprinkled with macadamia nuts and salty crackers, plus a creeping hint of Corona?

Ottomaton likes this.
  14. durvasa

LOL.

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

It’s good too

Os Trigonum likes this.
  16. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

GOOD ice cream GOOD decision

17. SuraGotMadHops

Salted Mount Carmel Fudge (Non-Dairy)

18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

19. durvasa

20. DonatelloLimestone

kind of rich for them to suggest boycotting Ben and Jerrys when in America they've supported laws to ban our citizens from exercising their rights to boycot bds, somehow our politicians have support the abuse of the constitutional rights for a foreign country, get this heck they also wont let their citizens go against saudi in another case of politicians serving their own interest rather than the people.

Did we need the ice cream shop to tell us this?
    https://apnews.com/article/middle-e...rights-watch-4dbb4e7b915346ce6aca778f12a4359b

FranchiseBlade likes this.