1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Reason] Canadian Steak Tartare Ban Leaves Chefs Feeling Raw

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you realize that the food-born illness risk that comes from, say, beef, is primarily associated with the processing of ground beef? and that the introduction of e coli and the like comes from the grinding process? not the slicing of steaks or roasts. Chicken is a different story and should generally be well-cooked

2. malakas

malakas Member

So?
    The article you quoted argued that because tartar is a niche food only good quality restaurants serve them so there isn't high risk of disease.
    However once the meat has parasites it doesn't make a difference if the restaurant is 1 star or 5.

One like you, who frequently eats raw meat is of real risk of parasitic infection. You may be lucky if you only eat it a few times but frequently it is only a matter of time.

Anyway. The state didn't ban the food altogether only the serving of it in establishments since it is a public health risk.
    At your own home you are free to eat anything you want.

3. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I am very confident that in the restaurants where I order a hamburger, I can order that hamburger rare. It will be served to me rare, I will consume it rare, and I will healthfully digest its rarity after which I will expel what's left of it. And to date I have had no problems. I also have not heard nor learned of an epidemic of food-born illness from hamburger eaters where I live who similarly order and consume rare hamburger meat ordered at restaurants. Perhaps you have access to U.S. data that I do not.

when it comes to steak I am even more confident that I can order it rare, even blue rare, and it will be fine. I am confident for the reasons I mentioned above.

again, if you are more risk-averse than I am, you should order your meat well-done or burned. bon appétit!

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

... so meat that is sold at a resturant

You said
    This sounded like your referencing personal farmed or hunted animals that you took to a butcher, or at least that's how I perceived it.

I was saying I'm not sure if owned meat that is processed by a butcher is then subject to different laws since the meat went through a transaction at that point.

Food and safety laws are written from people dying and getting very sick - written in blood

The pool comment was just a recommendation about making meaningful changes at a local level instead of focusing on Canadian food and safety law

malakas likes this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

fair enough. on the local processing, I and a lot of people I know purchase their meat, have it processed and wrapped, and that's simply how you get meat. there are also local butchers who do all the processing in-house--you go to them, you tell them what you want, they order the next animal that comes in, they cut it up for you the way you ordered it (for example, two-inch thick steaks, or tomahawk steaks, or "speedies" for the stew meat, etc) and it is all done right in front of you if you want to watch it happen behind the counter. Good grocery stores still do their own butchering. Not everyone buys their meat at Wal-Mart, I think that was the point I was trying to make. I think the few cases that have occurred in recent years of meat-related food-born illnesses have come from the big industrial processors who sell to the big mega-grocery chains like Wal-Mart. I doubt that there's a restaurant in either Canada or the United States that buys its meat from Wal-Mart. For the most part restaurants have to be very picky about where they source their meat, vegetables, and produce.

6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

an example from recent years

Supplier Expands Beef Recall Over Concerns of E. Coli Contamination

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/10/us/10recall.html

Supplier Expands Beef Recall Over Concerns of E. Coli Contamination
    By The Associated Press

• June 10, 2007
    LOS ANGELES, June 9 (AP) — A meat supplier has expanded a ground beef recall to include about 5.7 million pounds of fresh and frozen meat because they may be contaminated with E. coli.

David Goldman, acting administrator of the federal Food Safety and Inspection Service, announced on Saturday that the recall would be expanded to include products with sell-by dates from April 6 to April 20. The beef was distributed by United Food Group LLC, based in California.

Mr. Goldman said that none of the latest batch of suspect beef was in stores now because the product would be well past its expiration date, but that consumers might still have some of the meat at home.

“It is important for consumers to look in their freezers,” he said.

The meat has been blamed for an E. coli outbreak in the Western states that resulted in 14 illnesses, spanning April 25 through May 18. All the patients have recovered.

On Wednesday, United Food Group expanded an initial recall of 75,000 pounds of ground beef, adding an additional 370,000 pounds based on “unspecified concerns” raised by the California State Department of Health Services. This meat had sell-by dates from April 29-May 6.

The recalled products were shipped to stores in Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming. They were sold under the brand names Moran’s All Natural, Miller Meat Company, Stater Bros., Trader Joes Butcher Shop, Inter-American Products Inc. and Basha’s.

Customers with questions about the recall can call United Food Group’s hot line at 1-800-325-4164. Those with recalled products should either throw the product away or return it to the point of purchase for a refund.

7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

another case from 2007

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/06/us/06topps.html

After Extensive Beef Recall, Topps Goes Out of Business
    By Ken Belson and Kareem Fahim
    Oct. 6, 2007

Topps Meat Company, one of the country’s largest manufacturers of frozen hamburgers, said yesterday that it was going out of business a week after it pulled back more than 21.7 million pounds of ground beef products in one of the largest meat recalls in recent years.

In a statement, Anthony D’Urso, the chief operating officer at Topps, in Elizabeth, N.J., said that the company “cannot overcome the reality of a recall this large.”

He added, “This has been a shocking and sobering experience for everyone.”

Executives at Topps, which made frozen hamburgers and other meat products for supermarkets and mass merchandisers, declined to discuss how and why the company collapsed so quickly, or whether they could have taken steps earlier to protect consumers or to head off the plant’s closure.

But Amanda Eamich, a spokeswoman for the United States Department of Agriculture, said yesterday that on Thursday the department had served Topps with a “notice of intended enforcement,” a move just short of suspending the rest of the company’s meat production. Topps had stopped producing ground meat as of Sept. 26, but had continued to produce meat products like steaks.

Ms. Eamich said the agency had taken the action because of “inadequate process controls” in the company’s non-ground meat production line.

Agriculture Department officials have acknowledged that they knew that meat from Topps was contaminated on Sept. 7, when the first positive test results for E. coli came back, but that they waited for confirming tests before ordering a recall 18 days later. On Sept. 8, the department informed Topps that its hamburgers were suspected in a case of E. coli poisoning in Florida and requested samples from the plant for testing, officials at the agency said.

The Topps recall came less than a year after Taco Bell was hit by an E. coli scare after diners in several states fell ill, and it has renewed concerns about the safety of the nation’s food supply. Topps is not the first meat company to close after a recall. A Hudson Foods plant in Nebraska shut down in August 1997 after an even larger recall, of 25 million pounds of ground beef, and agreed to be bought by Tyson Foods within a month.

The initial recall of 331,582 pounds of Topps’ frozen hamburger patties was announced on Sept. 25, by which time nearly 30 people had fallen ill in eight states. On Sept. 29, the company issued a much broader recall. Health officials say the first reported case of sickness linked to the O157:H7 strain of E. coli found in the Topps meat occurred on July 5, when an 18-year-old girl in central Pennsylvania fell ill. Three days later, a case was reported in New Jersey. Other cases were reported in Connecticut, Maine, Florida, Indiana, Ohio and New York.

The company said a few of its 87 employees would remain at its plant in Elizabeth to help the Agriculture Department investigate how the bacteria might have tainted the frozen hamburger patties made there.
    more at the link

8. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Not my palate, but steak tartare has been around for a long time and hasn't been a huge problem. If restaurants want to serve it, let them carry insurance in case of an outbreak.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Food born illness can occur outside of Walmart meats

I understand where your coming from, I'm a self-proclaimed fetishizer of naturalness, I like organic, I like raw, I brought up milk pasteurization because that is a heavily debated topic of overreaching gubment within the organic/local/small farming community, with similar arguments the same as yours "Our animals are healthy, we take all precautions, the risk is low". It's not legal to sell uncooked milk, similar to that area of Canada making it illegal to sell uncooked meat * EDIT - I actually mean serve uncooked meat at a restaurant for the purpose of raw consumption, obviously, you can still purchase uncooked meat

I haven't made any comments on any of this except that I acknowledge, food and safety regulations are written in blood, oh and that going hard libertarian on these things gets real sketchy really quick.

And seriously check out that link on the first page, this sounds like it's connected

#29 ThatBoyNick, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    Os Trigonum and jiggyfly like this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wut?

What foodborne organisms are associated with beef?
    Escherichia coli can colonize in the intestines of animals, which could contaminate muscle meat at slaughter. E. coli O157:H7 is a rare strain that produces large quantities of a potent toxin that forms in and causes severe damage to the lining of the intestine. The disease produced by it is called Hemorrhagic Colitis and is characterized by bloody diarrhea. E. coli O157:H7 is easily destroyed by thorough cooking.

Salmonella may be found in the intestinal tracts of livestock, poultry, dogs, cats, and other warm-blooded animals. There are about 2,000 Salmonella bacterial species. Freezing doesn't kill this microorganism, but it is destroyed by thorough cooking. Salmonella must be eaten to cause illness. They cannot enter the body through a skin cut. Cross-contamination can occur if raw meat or its juices contact cooked food or foods that will be eaten raw, such as salad.

Staphylococcus aureus can be carried on human hands, nasal passages, or throats. Most foodborne illness outbreaks are a result of contamination from food handlers and production of a heat-stable toxin in the food. Sanitary food handling and proper cooking and refrigerating should prevent staphylococcal foodborne illness.

Listeria monocytogenes is destroyed by cooking, but a cooked product can be recontaminated by poor handling practices and poor sanitation. FSIS has a zero tolerance for Listeria monocytogenes in cooked and ready-to-eat products such as beef franks or lunchmeat. Observe handling information such as "Keep Refrigerated" and "Use-By" dates on labels.

Raw meat may contain Salmonella, E. coli, Yersinia, and other bacteria.

The reason it affects processed meat more is because of cross contamination not from the grinding process itself.

Do better philosopher O's.

11. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Seems like a cleverly disguised wet markets and the local restaurants who purchase from them and serve raw dishes are valid thread. That's a thought provoking post-Covid take there my friend.

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Lol the anecdotal n= 1 “this didn’t happen to me” especially when parasites are just one hazard and arent overtly detected

Os Trigonum likes this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm not a fan of tartare but I imagine a steak obsessed country like Texas who loves having their steak extra bloody would not want a law that required a Trump grade well-done to make sure a toddler doesn't die from an encounter with contaminated meat.

Food poisoning is an industrial problem ranging from field workers not getting adequate potty breaks or **** getting in the meat grinder after it's been processed of all the good parts. It's also how you get mad cow variants because prions are mostly concentrated in their nervous system but I hear that's how moms used to make it when grinding meat patties.

In any case, foofoo people won't likely get sick in a French restaurant worth going... Maybe for raw oysters, not beef tartare. Do not try the clam chowder...

Sushi itself has a larger risk for worms and you're banking on the skill of the chef and pray the flash freeze process kills all the harmful pathogens. The latter probably saved the all you can eat industry from a panic but overall industrial food processing is pretty nasty when you look deep into it.

This isn't even a place like India or China where margins and output are optimised and gutter oil is still a thing.

14. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I'm sure you see where I supplemented the n=1 anecdotal evidence with n=everyone else too evidence

15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

218830995_3632285030204251_5652084388513736588_n.jpg