1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston might get another WNBA team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jul 19, 2021.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It can succeed if Tilman doesn't buy it in my opinion.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I just can't get into the WNBA. I respect the hell out of the women that play it and I'm sure the worst of them could probably wipe the floor with us regular joes in a pick up game but...it's just not very exciting.

Verticality is a BIG part of the excitement of basketball. I wish the ladies would swallow their pride and lower the rims, if there were dunks and blocks and above the rim action, I'd be into it...I have no issue watching ladies tennis or soccer or MMA, there isn't a big part of the game taken away from those sports like there is basketball.

Jayzers_100, DaDakota and juanming like this.
  3. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

I loved the Comets! Enjoyed watching them play. Open to another team. As long as it’s about basketball and competing I’ll get behind it. They have my support! As soon as it turns into social agendas and political platforms, I’m out.

Ubiquitin and don grahamleone like this.
  4. Damion Laverne

Bring back the Comets.

Philly might work as the other expansion city.

Would not be a fan of lowering the rims. Cheapens the game and it wouldn't increase the probability of dunking to any meaningful degree.

And a definite YES to an NHL team in HTX

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I'm a huge hockey fan and would sell my house to make that happen. However that door closed indefinitely with the Seattle expansion (draft this week!) brining the league to 32 teams unless someone relocates.

6. ballgame

ballgame Member

I loved the WNBA!! Can't wait for it to re-start.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Les selling teams in Houston
    Sounds like a theme

DJ and J.R. like this.
  8. vince

vince Member

The WNBA let Houston down by eliminating the Comets. The Comets were the inaugural league's champion. Ultimately winning 3 or 4 titles. With a squad that was led by Cooper, Perot, Thompson, and Swoops.

I recall how Les sold the team to Hilton Furniture guy, and that was a disaster. Because even though I think Mr. Hilton tried, he didn't have the financial resources to keep a limited popularity franchise from bleeding money. I feel bad for the Hilton guy, I used to like watching his commercials on late night TV...

But, I would not support another WNBA franchise. We had a good one, and the league took it away from the City.

don grahamleone likes this.
  9. ball king23

ball king23 Member

if wnba runs it back to H town get this lady a coaching seat if they do run it back

this needs to be the first coaching hire if they run it back in H town Dawn Staley

don grahamleone likes this.
  10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I cant watch WNBA.

11. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

If Houston gets a new team, it better be called the Comets.

12. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

That team was talented enough to win even though no one could tell what Van Chancellor was saying.

vator likes this.
  13. VoR

VoR Member

LOL. No one wanted to buy the Comets when they continued to lose money. WNBA doesn’t need to expand. WNBA needs to disband. Tejano concerts make more money than WNBA games. Waste of arena space. Only way to make WNBA viable is to have a 40 game season that takes place on the same day as the NBA team. Don’t waste potential arena revenue on garbage.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If Tilman isn’t the owner I’m in

jch1911 and don grahamleone like this.
  15. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I loved the comets back in the day.

If Houston gets a WNBA franchise it needs to be a continuation of the Comets.

jch1911, don grahamleone and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

More teams to win a championship. ;)

jch1911 likes this.
  17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

In what way? Nobody wanted the team, so they folded it. They didn't get moved to another city.

I really can't see why anybody would want a WNBA franchise unless they were absurdly rich and wanted a vanity property. Turning an actual profit seems nearly impossible. I'd be lying if I said I would care about bringing back the Comets.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

would be down for another nba team in htine instead. maybe the rumored chinese billionaire who got beat out by tillmen is still interested.

htown pecking duck, arena based in bellaire.

19. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

In comparison to other cities, in numbers, Houston has one of the worst fanbase for the Rockets or basketball in general. Won't help much when it comes to WNBA either.

20. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

We can’t even get fans to go to rockets game..

Mr. Space City and lnchan like this.