1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Reason] Canadian Steak Tartare Ban Leaves Chefs Feeling Raw

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

and for the thread Nazis out there, yes, I believe people ought to be allowed the freedom to choose to eat rare or raw meat if that is what they desire

https://reason.com/2021/07/17/canadian-steak-tartare-ban-leaves-chefs-feeling-raw/

Canadian Steak Tartare Ban Leaves Chefs Feeling Raw

Warning people about the dangers of raw meat doesn't require prohibiting the practice.

by Baylen Linnekin

[​IMG]

A chef in New Brunswick, Canada, is aghast after learning of his province's ban of steak tartare, a dish he serves to customers that's typically made with raw beef and raw eggs. The ban came as a surprise to Luc Doucet of Black Rabbit in Moncton, one of several restaurateurs warned recently by health department officials that serving raw meat violates provincial health codes.

"Our department was recently made aware that ground beef prepared as per the request of the customer (i.e., medium, rare, etc.) and/or steak tartare, is presently available at your food premises," a health department note to Doucet, included in a CBC report on the ban, declares. "This practice must cease immediately, as it is in direct violation of the New Brunswick Food Regulation, NB Reg 2009-138, 27 1(f) Schedule A."

While the tartare ban came as news to Doucet, non-Canadian readers here may be surprised to learn that preparing anything but well-done hamburgers—"medium, rare, etc."—is banned throughout Canada. In a 2017 column panning this foolhardy prohibition on serving hamburgers that taste like hamburgers, I called that ban "as arbitrary a decision as banning raw animal products such as oysters and sushi, raw produce such as sprouts and melons, and countless other [potentially hazardous] foods that are definitely legal in Canada."

Doucet, whose restaurant was nominated for best new restaurant in Canada in 2019, told the CBC that the "ideology" behind the ban is what bothers him most. That and the vagueness of the notice.

"It's tricky, the wording is very vague, it just says 'beef tartare etcetera,' is that carpaccio [a thinly sliced meat served raw]?" he told the CBC. "I don't know."

Doucet isn't the only one panning the ban. In an editorial published this week, New Brunswick's Telegraph-Journal editorial board urged the province to repeal its tartare ban, which the paper dubbed "baseless." (They really missed an opportunity to use "groundless.")

"Our food safety culture in Canada is overdone and our food appreciation culture is underdone," Telegraph-Journal editor Martin Wightman lamented in a tweet referencing the editorial. Wightman's comment echoes (though is a little more harsh than) my own prior criticism of Canada's food laws.

Though the New Brunswick health department notice Doucet received did reference a hypothetical process for potentially allowing restaurants to serve foods containing raw meat, my email and phone call to the health department spokesman quoted by the CBC, Bruce Macfarlane, were not returned. What's more, since the CBC report indicates the crackdown on steak tartare was not due to any case of foodborne illness, it's not clear why the health department decided this month to set its sights on steak tartare.

It's not Canada's first. In 2012, a restaurant in Windsor, Ontario—just outside Detroit—was targeted by health inspectors for serving lamb tartare and carpaccio. Chef and owner Rino Bortolin fought the ban, telling the CBC he would serve the dishes "until an inspector tells me to stop… And if they tell me to stop, I will probably still do it."

Could New Brunswick chefs meet that province's ban by practicing similar civil disobedience? I hope so.

Canada isn't alone in fretting over raw beef served in restaurants. Beginning in 2007, Slovakia banned restaurants from serving steak tartare, a traditional dish in that country. That ban, which the Slovak Spectator reports was ignored by a number of top restaurants, was repealed in 2017. Though the ban was lifted, restaurants must now warn consumers that consuming raw meat poses risks—a sensible requirement. They also must prepare the dish to order, use eggs only from "approved farms," and inform public health officials that they serve the dish. And health officials in Wisconsin regularly caution residents against eating so-called "cannibal sandwiches"—basically steak tartare on bread—which are a popular homemade food to serve around the holidays.

Experts suggest such fears over eating raw meat may be overblown. For example, after Japan banned serving raw beef liver in 2012 over fears consuming the dish contributed to higher E. coli case numbers, a study found no reduction in E. coli cases since the ban took effect. And Canada's ban on flavorful hamburgers, the National Post reported in 2012, may be unwarranted, as properly cooked (not undercooked) hamburgers "may not be nearly as dangerous as we all thought."

All that said, eating raw meat—just like eating sushi, sprouts, melons, runny eggs, and the like—does occasionally sicken or kill people. In 2014, several people became ill—one critically—after eating steak tartare in a Montreal restaurant. But even after those rare cases, an expert at McGill University responded that "poisoning from steak tartare is rare because the dish is usually served only in high-end restaurants where hygiene is the rule and the meat is supplied by reliable butchers."

Raw beef isn't for everyone. I first tried raw ground beef at an Ethiopian restaurant—where the dish is known as kitfo—in Washington, D.C., in the late 1990s. It was great, and I've enjoyed it several times since. Raw beef not your thing? That's cool. Don't eat it. Please just make sure others can do so if they so choose.

2. malakas

malakas Member

Try this if you want to be infected by tapeworms and other parasites.

3. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I've eaten beef rare (including blue rare and tartare) my entire life and (a) have never been infected by tapeworms and (b) have never been infected by other parasites.

So I think if you "want to be infected by tapeworms and other parasites" you had better try a different method.

But honestly, who actually would "want to be infected by tapeworms and other parasites"?

Invisible Fan likes this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I mean we already require milk to be pasteurized, along with a number of other regulations

I don't know if pulling the libertarian card on things like food and safety requirements is the right move, even with your questionable claim and anecdotal evidence of never being infected with a parasite before

I wonder if this has anything to do with this...

Doctors investigate mystery brain disease in Canada
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56910393

5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

if you're buying your ground beef from Walmart or Costco and have NO idea where it was processed, then yeah, cooking your ground beef to medium or even well-done might be prudent. For most any other cut of meat, there's far less risk. And if you have your beef, pork, turkey etc processed as we do at a butcher of our choosing, I think you can have a pretty high level of confidence in the food safety of your meat

6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

and shouldn't that be my choice? not someone else's?

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Steak tar tar
    99ers
    @Ziggy

let the lower tier eat chicken sashimi

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It's my understanding that these sorts of bans are on the sale of the meat, not what you do with your own personal hunted or raised animals, I'm not sure how that process would be effected by a butcher

Health and safety requirements for food have all been written in blood, Os.

Why focus on this when you could make a real difference protesting the no running/diving rules at the local pool?

9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I was responding to your example of pasteurize milk--the meat served in restaurants is already subject to "health and safety requirements for food," that's what makes it safe and what makes the excessive regulation on how that meat is prepared and served in restaurants unreasonable. I cannot imagine that Canadian meat processing regulations are all that different than processing regulations in the United States. Even local butchers processing meat for individual customers like me or for restaurants who buy their meat from local processors have to follow those meat processing regulations. There are also periodic inspections of meat processing facilities, again, that's what helps contribute to "health and safety" of the food supply.

so your comments are really off base. sorry.

10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

and for what it's worth, you have an infinitely higher chance of getting sick from the lettuce in your salad, both in restaurants but also at home if you buy from virtually any grocery store

11. malakas

malakas Member

How do you know?that you never had?
    If you have been eating raw meat all your life frequently it is likely that you have or had been infected by parasites.

I have tried and eaten lots of weird and disgusting food like cow tongue and testicles but I would never eat raw meat.
    But that's me. You do you.

As for the ban it is only natural for the government to ban the serving of possibly parasite infested food.
    If you want you can eat it at home all you want.

12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

how do you feel about sushi?

13. malakas

malakas Member

Lol. You think they check on every single cow pig and sheep? They do sample checking.
    Otherwise it would take 30 minutes to clear a single cow. Good luck with that.

14. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I've been dealing with local butchers for over thirty years. I'm pretty confident in what I've seen

15. malakas

malakas Member

I will tell you what happens here. The vet comes to the slaughterhouse opens up and checks a few cows lymphs, liver and intestines , sees the rest from apperance and then blue stamps the rest from that farm.
    If you eat raw meat you are in high risk from getting infected from parasites.
    Parasite infection may be asymptomatic so you may have them and not know it.

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What comments have I made that are off base?

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

then you shouldn't eat raw meat where you live. pretty simple

18. malakas

malakas Member

It is not the job of the butcher to check for parasites. At least not in the eu. It is the job of a veterinarian.

19. malakas

malakas Member

Sushi is also a very dangerous food for parasites.
    Personally I don't like it but I have eaten it.
    However I have seen up close how cow tapeworms look , these long noodles white ribbons, so even the thought of digesting raw meat makes me puke.

20. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

ok

not at all what the article was talking about, again, it discusses the preparation and serving of meat in restaurants

I wasn't talking about animals that I raised nor was I talking about animals I hunted

I have no idea what this means

I have no idea what this is about