1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Passage] It’s Time To Ban The Sale Of Pickup Trucks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

people don't "need" to live in houses. they could live in tents. most people choose houses (or apartments condos etc). Presumably people have reasons for making that choice

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well I haven't called other people's vehicles "ugly as sin" or "stupid".

I actually agree that trucks look cool and the few times that I've rented a pickup I enjoyed driving the F250 and Toyota Tundra.

3. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Is this really an argument that you believe in?

dobro1229 and ThatBoyNick like this.
  4. SuraGotMadHops

Wrong. I'm not judging the driver of said stupid looking vehicle, I just disagree with their choice in cars. Same way I would disagree with the taste for someone driving the Ford Excursions (when those were a thing). Not my taste.

Disagreement/differing taste does not = judgment. Saying people who drive trucks for (perceived) non-legit reasons are selfish and unnecessarily damage roads and the environment and are inconsiderate, is.

JumpMan likes this.
  5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

More apt to say people don't need giant houses. There are a lot of issues with tents that make them inadequate for healthy living long-term.

We really just need fewer vehicles period. Not that I'm helping, as we have 3, including a 2001 F-150, but I drive my Civic unless I need to haul something.

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. SuraGotMadHops

Get one, highly recommend. Especially the Tundra.

7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

why would that matter? you realize philosophers, forensic debaters, and the like can make arguments that they themselves don't believe in. It's part of taking the other side seriously at times, at others it's part of the process of considering potential objections to one's own point of view.

You seemed to be wanting to shift the terms of the discussion from "reasons" to "need." In order to make that shift from justification to necessity, one might reasonably want to entertain possible objections to that new argument. That's all I'm doing.

But yes. I believe people have reasons for choosing to live in houses.

8. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

look. people can live in a 200 square foot efficiency in a 50 story apartment building. Presumably people have reasons for electing to live in a 1500 square foot house, or a 2000 square foot house, or a 3000 square foot house.

Define "giant" house.

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

OK then do believe that there is a necessity to living in houses versus living in tents?

10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

there is a necessity for shelter. people can dig holes in the ground for shelter

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I would think calling something "Stupid" and "ugly as sin" implies judgement.

Yes the the Tundra was an impressive vehicle.

12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

And according to several episodes of "Naked and Afraid" we don't need clothes. That said what is the level of longterm human health living naked in a hole or even clothed in a tent compared to living in a house with insulation, waterproofing, electricity, HVAC, and plumbing?

13. SuraGotMadHops

You're confusing an opinion of how inanimate property looks versus an opinion of the person. My favorite person in the world could wear Birkenstocks with white socks and will say that looks stupid and ugly.

14. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

@jiggyfly thinks Uggs and Crocs look effeminate on students of the masculine persuasion:

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/should-men-wear.311586/

rockbox likes this.
  15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Most houses. I fantasize living in a tiny home, but my wife isn't in agreement.

I believe in multi-family living too.

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Os is the most honest man I know, if he says something he has at least 7 articles to back it up with it

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So now you are a philosopher or forensic debater?

And then you want people to believe you take anybody seriously or debate seriously?

Case in point.

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/...-of-pickup-trucks.312268/page-6#post-13629137

What type of dreamworld do you live in?

dobro1229 likes this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I don't believe in banning trucks. I drive a truck and it's hard to see going to a sedan given how much I use it.

But I do want badly to move to an electric truck. The new F150 looks awesome. So I just want to see the level of innovation that is underway at Space X, and Apple, etc. be taking place with all the US car manufacturers to get an AFFORDABLE E Truck available. If it's comparable in price, I'll be first in line to get one.

I think space (home or auto) isn’t about necessity as much as it is about personality. Space and access are two different things IMO. Wanting space/size isn’t necessarily about wanting something out of reason given your lifestyle (that’s what she said).

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Things like personality are very culturally influenced and in terms of what someone who grew up in Hong Kong versus someone who grew up in Houston what they feel is reasonable regarding living space is likely going to be different.

My overall point regarding this is that these are cultural factors and ultimately change needs to be driven by culture. Currently our culture pushes things like overconsumption of all sorts of resources. I hate to bring in Marie Kondo but I think "decluttering" and deciding what we really need is an important exercise in how we could change culture.

For example "Do I really need a pickup truck that I actually use to haul something only once or twice a year?"

dobro1229 likes this.