1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green should be the pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Bad effort/focus on defense is normal??? Don’t see it with Suggs, Mobley, or Cade. Defense is all effort and if he lacks it…..that is a red flag to stay away from a potential bust.

2. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

i don't know if its normal for every nba prospect, but its fairly typical for highly rated offensive wing prospects. Luka, Trae, La Melo, Ant Edwards, Lavine, Beal and more were all highly touted prospects who had big question marks about their defensive effort/focus.

I didn't follow Green that closely so it remains to be seen if his focus and effort on defense is merely a normal fixable developmental/growing/consistency issue or a bigger fundamental flaw.

Aside from a very few and select individuals like Lebron, AD, Zion and a few others, most highly touted draft prospects are potential busts. IMO the draft is a huge gamble precisely because it's just so difficult in most cases to predict how someone who is 19 years old will develop in the future. There was an article by SI a few years back detailing how many of the first 3 picks in league history performed at above league average after their 4 year rookie contract.. the number was just barely over 55%.

3. Caesar

Caesar Member

Yeah..both went high in super weak drafts, but they both had solid years. Gordon was too small for the 2, and not an elite athlete, but i do think he'd be much better in todays league. He did win SMOTY as a rookie so expectations were likely in that Manu area for that era.
    Victor has had a nice career, 2x all star, MIP, steal champ, defensive team, all rookie, all nba. In this draft, they'd each likely go in the late teens. I hope we can find 2 players that can bring their type of success at 23, 24.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Neither Ben Gordon nor Victor O were busts. Neither reached the peaks GreenGang wants for Green.

Should really stop using past comparisons imo.
    Will Green be Ben Gordon or Kobe Bryant?!?!?! OMG.
    Will Mobley be AD or JJJ or Thabeet?!?!?! OMG.

Every big taken in the last 20 years in the top 5 could have busted, and if Mobley was the best prospect on the board, it would still be the smart pick if that's what their scouts thought. Career defining risky pick in this hypothetical, but I just don't think what happened in past drafts holds a ton of merit on this draft.

Have great scouting... that's how you draft well.

sydmill, Trackwell, roslolian and 2 others like this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Gordon was thought to be an elite athlete and he was bigger than Green coming into the NBA and has a longer wingspan.

So you would be happy to get Oladipo production from Green?

You asked the question and it was answered now you want move the goalpost.

So now solid is what we are going for?

6. Caesar

Caesar Member

Green is too inefficient right now?

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ben Gordon is not a bust?

Wut?

Oladipo was thought of as a bust 5 years into his career and has only had one breakout year so when all is said and done yeah he will be considered disappointing if not a bust.

I agree that anybody can bust but the OP was trying to act like SG's never bust anD that picking a big at 2 is doomed for failure just because.

It's interesting you decided to reply to my post when people have been comparing Mobley to Thabeet across multiple thread and not a peep out of you.

For the record I am not comparing Green to either of those guys I was just giving examples to the question.

8. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

"If anything, Green is going to disappoint a lot of CF, at least early on.

There is no way he will average 20-25 PPG on day 1. If he does, Rockets will not be winning. Kid is just too inefficient right now, very similar weaknesses as Porter - inconsistent 3ball, doesn't get to FT line, average defender.

Maybe in year 3-4 he will put it all together."

You could make this exact same case for Mobley.

roslolian and Two Sandwiches like this.
  9. Caesar

Caesar Member

Gordon is 6'2-6'3 at best. How is he bigger than Green? Gordon had long arms for his size for sure.

Moving what goalpost? Ah shiiiet, you're that guy from the other day just going around fighting everyone for no reason. You're like Homer Simpson getting punched in the head over and over again, with Captain America's "I can do this all day" persistence.

I literally said "Mostly, i feel like SG's taken high have a pretty high success rate and if they don't live up to expectations, they still have yearly SMOTY level careers." And sure enough you brought up a SMOTY guy and another lower tier all star level guy. My point was more so on the true meaning of bust. Green will have a higher floor than those guys IMO, but the odds of him actually being some massive "Bust" are very low. Some of the other guys who had immense talent only turned out to be busts because of off court issues or health.

10. JayZ750

Absolutely not.

Ben Gordon was the 3rd pick in the draft. Lotto picks were Dwight, Okafor, Gordon, Livingston, Devin Harris, Josh Childress, Luol Deng, Rafael Arujo (??), Iggy, Luke Jackson, Biedrins, Robert Swift, Telfair, Kris Humphries.

So you have a crap draft where Gordon was as good as anyone outside of Dwight and Iggy.

A couple 20 point seasons, a couple others 16.9 plus, shot 40%+ from 3 like 7 of his first 8 years, they made the playoffs 6 of 10 years.

Sure, Chicago would have loved Ben Gordon to have been Dwayne Wade, but he wasn't a bust. He was an ok lotto pick in a **** draft. I think he won 6th man of the year his rookie year.

I don't really want to do the same thing with Dipo... but it's the same thing. Bennett, Dipo, Porter, Zeller, Len, Noel, McLemore, KCP, Burke, CJ, MCW, Adams, Olynk, Shabazz. With the exception of CJ, he is the best of the group, and if you ignore health, he is the definitive best of the group. Nobody has had a better season than him.

EDIT: which, though not discussed much, is somewhat well known... the strength of the draft overall is almost as important as who you draft. Not that Cleveland should have drafted Bennett, lol, but there was nobody to draft, really. Everyone says this is a deep draft, top 4 will all be good, and depth beyond. HOPE SO!

#2010 JayZ750, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    Verbal Christ and Caesar like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not a "monster" but he will be more impactful, sooner.

On defense especially, but other areas as well.

Rockets are LOADED at guard:

Porter, Wall, EGo, Augustin, Khyri, Snipa, Sterling (if re-signed), Bradley (if option picked up)

Deep at wing as well:

House, Tate, KJ, Nwaba (if re-signed)

Rockets cupboard is completely BARE at 4-5:

Wood, Olynyk (if re-signed)

So YES, I do expect Mobley to start AND have an impact right away.

Especially because he would IMPROVE areas that were huge weaknesses on Rockets last season - length, rim protection, switchability (especially with our bigs), rebounding, passing and big man depth.

And I do feel that he will be the better player in the long run as well.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Weight wise and we still don't actually know Greens height, I think he is taller but how much?

Gordon had a much longer wingspan so that evens out along with him being bigger and stronger.

The goalpost you are moving is that now being ok is good enough for you ignore these examples.

It does not matter what you feel, SG's can bust just like bigs and bigs who disappoint have longer careers just look at Chriss.

There is no logical reason why Green has a higher floor than any of those guys especially Oladipo who had everything coming out including defense.

Why are the odds of him being a bust low?

You are making it up as you go along.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I meant Benny Mac not Gordon my bad.

14. JayZ750

yeah... well he went 7th... again, not like there were a ton of great players in that draft. Everyone missed on Giannis in retrospect. Giannis (15th), Gobert (27th), CJ (10th) should have been your 1-3 in retrospect. Oladipo would be ahead of CJ if he could stay healthy.

BennyMac definitely underperformed though. Schroeder, Adams, Olynk, Tim Hardaway Jr, Oladipo for sure ahead of him and probably guys like KCP, Noel, Zeller, too.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. Caesar

Caesar Member

Gordon never looked 6'3 even. He always looked tiny. He's from the era of a lot of phony height listings for draft stock.
    The NBA redid heights the other year and DRose who was also always listed a 6'3 is now officially 6'2. Look at him next to Ben Gordon.
    [​IMG]
    Outside of muscle mass, Greens NOT that small. He may be shorter that 6'6 and maybe just under 6'5 in shoes, but he's not that short and small.

16. JayZ750

It is at least somewhat annoying we can’t get a legit measurement for the top guys that didn’t go to the combine.

also have any of these guys worked out for the Rockets yet?

17. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Average defender??? Have you not watched any of his games?

18. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

……Green makes Ben McLemore look like NBA defensive player of the year.

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

what competition is tougher g- league or turkish league?

20. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

From the Dunc on podcast: 6"5 ft tall 6"7.5 wingspan 8"5 standing reach - These measurements were what Danny Leroux could findfrom his sources and are not from a combine...

D-rock and JayZ750 like this.