1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Last years article on Jalen Green - I'm convinced he's the guy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Jul 18, 2021.

1. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Lots of words with nothing significant. Mobley's ceiling in Marcus Camby. Green's ceiling is uncertain. He could lead the league in scoring or he could be Rashad McCants. I'll roll the dice. Mobley is soft

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

None of the high schoolers are going to come in and dominate the G League. Kobe wouldn't have. Garnett wouldn't have. None of them would. There's a huge jump, mentally and physically. These kids haven't grown into their bodies.

Martin and Green are very different players. Martin is more of a traditional forward that has great rebounding numbers. To me, that game translates better to playing well in the g league. A good rebounder is a good rebounder, wherever he plays. That being said, I think Martin is a great talent and I think he's a primary piece moving forward.

Green is a much more efficient scorer. His defensive rating, something your trashing on, is slightly better than Martin's. Their games are much different though. Green's game doesn't translate immediately because it's based off of ball in hand, running an offense and picking apart a defense. And there's many more defenses than he's used to seeing. That being said, he was a great shooter in the g league.

Very hard to compare these two. Very hard to have expectations for a high schooler to dominate the G League in fifteen games.

That being said, I'm very high on Martin, too. Don't discount what either of them did in the G League, considering their age and experience. They were never going to average 30, 10, and 10 in the G League.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

That's all great, except Garnett actually DID start 43 games his rookie year, and blocked 1.6 shots per game in only 28 minutes. He would have destroyed the inferior competition of the G league, and it wouldn't have been close.

Green simply isn't a generational player like Kobe or Wade, and it will become obvious when the hype generated from the tic-toc crowd dies down. His ceiling is likely a Brandon Roy type. He can be great, but not likely to ever be option 1A on a championship team.

BigggReddd and Bobbythegreat like this.
  4. Two Sandwiches

Garnett's rookie stats were not much better than Martin Jr's, and basically the same age. Garnett got about five more minutes though. Why do we think he would have played any better than Martin in the G league?

It's easy to say he would have because we know what he became. And I'm not trying to compare the two, by any means. I'm just using that as an example to show that I doubt Garnett dominates the G League in 20 games.

5. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Kobe nor Wade were thought to be generational talents when they came out. I wonder how many people said “Kobe simply isn’t a generational talent like so and so” and “Wade’s ceiling is only blank”.

The guys that do this for a living full time and get to personally observe and interact with these players don’t even know what these players will become. There’s so many factors that go into players becoming greats, so claiming that you definitively know what a player will be is just ******** in the sand.

cheke64 and Fulgore like this.
  6. alethios

alethios Member

I think Green will fill up the stat sheet and provide some highlight worthy plays on the offensive end, but his flash won't translate into wins. I still believe the best player at #2 for the Rockets is Evan Mobley.

blue_eyed_devil likes this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Brandon Roy was rookie of the year. Probably would have been one of the best players of his era - cut short by injuries. Was DEFINITELY Option 1A for that Blazers team so all the "cant do this or that on championship teams" seems like an odd review.

What a strange comparison.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

History suggests that any player good enough to start in the NBA absolutely dominates the G League.... hell most players good enough to come off the bench dominate the G League.

Kevin Garnett as a rookie likely would have put up 20-10 really easily in the g league. Kobe really scores 25 points per game in the g league as a rookie.

The entire reason people are overrating the g league is to push this kid since he underwhelmed.

9. Two Sandwiches

You're making things up now. History is college seasoned players, not high school kids playing during a pandemic.

No way to know what KG or Kobe do in G League as an 18 or 19 year old, but what we do know is a 19 year old KG has stars that virtually mirror a 19 year old Martin Jr, who didn't (by your definition) dominate the G League.

That's stat based and not revisionist, post Hall of Fame induction based.

Maybe KG or Kobe would dominate, based on it being a different league and all that, but there's no way to know that.

Not only that, but Martin is proof enough that your theory is wrong. He's most definitely good enough to come off the bench, and once again, by your definition, did not dominate the G League.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The only thing to go on is the entire history of NBA players spending time in the G league. That history suggests anyone good enough for the NBA should dominate the league easily.

Even Jeremy Lin dominated the g league s few months back and he hasn't been good enough for the league in years.

11. Two Sandwiches

So, did Martin Jr. dominate the G League?

And what kind of potential do you think Martin has?

#71 Two Sandwiches, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He did about as well as Green, and he showed that he wasn't ready to be an NBA starter.

I like his potential, but he's got a long way to go. I wouldn't have wanted to have spent a #2 overall pick on him.

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

Cade actually has a lot in common with Wiggins. As players they’re play style is different, but they both came in to their college season with a ton of hype and presumed #1 pick, and then statistically did not live up to that hype, yet it got so ingrained in people’s heads and I guess critical thinking is just too lazy nowadays that they ended up #1 picks anyways.

14. jayfree

jayfree Member

You do realize the comparison was MJ coming out of college and Drexler's first year in the league with KPJ and Green right? Nobody knew in 84 that MJ or even Drexler would be the players they become and that is the same for now. Point is Portland passed up on MJ solely because they had Drexler already and Houston shouldn't do the same if they feel Green is the better talent overall.