1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Last years article on Jalen Green - I'm convinced he's the guy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Still not getting the hate for Green.

Has all the natural athletic gifts, can shoot both FT and 3 solidly, has a strong work ethic and a chip on his shoulder to be the best. Doesn’t appear to be a troublemaker or too immature. Building your brand and focusing on your social media actually shows his maturity. Go look at Alex Bregman and every other athlete doing the same. It’s good business sense.

Suggs could be CP3 or Rubio. Has the IT factor in terms of showing up in the clutch but his shot is not good from FT or 3.

Mobley several reports of passivity and lack of drive and love for the game. Could be Bosh, Duncan, AD or Olowakandi, Kwame Brown, Thabeet, etc. Didn’t light it on fire from 3 either.

Give me the better shooter with the natural gifts and drive all day long.

2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

RudyTBag likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So you're making the arguement that no one should expect Green to be any good due to his age. Okay, but if you aren't good enough to dominate the G league, you're not good enough to start in the NBA.

You think I'm looking for reasons to be down on him but it's exactly the opposite. I'm resigned to the fact he'll be the pick as a business decision, so I've been looking for reasons to think he could work out.

The problem is that I'm not finding much to go on. Just promises that one day he'll be good and excuses for why he's not already good.

I can see the athleticism and the flash, but I'm struggling to see any more than that. How is he fundamentally different than a lighter version of Kenyon Martin Jr with a better handle and no defense?

I think Green will be a fun player, I just think we'll regret using the #2 on fun.

That said, who knows? Maybe I'm wrong and he really is a 19 year old Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Clyde Drexler, or whatever HOFer he's being compared to today. Only time will tell.

noppeper likes this.
  4. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

Yeah but this is the first time a player goes straight from high school to g league and he progressed from day 1! That’s such a telling sign is him improving as the season went on .. I’m all about his confidence and work ethic ! It seems to be special

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think that's probably the disconnect, I'm looking for more tangible things and the case is more intangible.

It's a big reason why I may end up wrong on this. I don't do well with projections based largely on intangible things like work ethic and confidence.

HTownTmac1 likes this.
  6. sydmill

sydmill Member

I have not been at all shy in posting my support for Mobley as the pick at #2. It has as much to do with Green as it does with Mobley . Mobley has his warts. He probably is not going to be exactly like AD or KG (or maybe even Ayton for that matter). And Green is going to be good. I just think projecting Green to be better than the Beals or Lavines of the world requires the same faith that the Mobley people get ridiculed for placing in Mobley. Green, once in the NBA, will need to get bigger. He is going to need that strength to compete on teh defensive side of the ball and to be finish on offense in the paint. He will also need to add weight so that he can avoid injury. He is going to need to commit to being a better defender. He isnt horrible on that side of the ball but you can tell that it has not been his focus (or at least not until recently). He is going to need to be a better facilitator. He may be the best scorer on an NBA team but for him to be worth the #2 pick he will need to be better at making the game easier for his teammates.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Cool. So the countdown to him leaving for the Lakers starts right away

BossHogg713 likes this.
  8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

In regards to Green already being image conscious and having a fan following, I'm not going to hold it against him. I don't think any player had as much social media exposure coming into the NBA as LaMelo Ball last year and he played incredibly well. Other players were also already famous in high school. Players can focus on basketball and business simultaneously.

BossHogg713 likes this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Same for Mobley I guess.

Would Cade snake out when Cuban starts whispering in his ear to "come home"?

BossHogg713 likes this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

My point is that social media and hype have nothing to do with the talent evaluation process. Green has a great publicist which I'm sure Mobley couldn't because he played in the NCAA. I hear more about Green from Green himself while Mobley isn't as flashy and loud. I hope the Rockets can filter out all the noise and evaluate without bias.

Verbal Christ and sydmill like this.
  12. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

I’m just excited we have the second pick ! Either player we pick I’m happy with and will root for ! Good problem to have

13. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Mobley looks like a 7 foot 13 year old

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I agree with the sentiment, but lets look at it from Tilmans perspective - do you think he would like the extra layers of revenue the young kid is going to generate?

If all things are static and similar between the Rockets scouting department, then the argument will introduce these aspects especially to a business conscience owner.

Mobley is subdued, sure. He doesnt have a lot of pressure of foreign countries propping him up and the millions of followers on his social media platforms, so in essence he should be MORE locked into the game. MORE time in the gym. ALWAYS working, and to be frank his on court effort has been questioned from various observers thus far. If he's not going to bust ass every play during a live game, is he going to bust ass when nobody is watching?

Give me the gym rat.

15. rocketseagles07

More personal BS. Y'all love the, "mature kid". Kid doesn't act like a "punk" at all he's probably just more flashy than YOU LIKE. Probably the same type of person who trashes lebron but loves random guy because he's quite and "humble".

16. rocketseagles07

LMAOOOOOOOO @ cade being Andrew Wiggins.. a player who plays absolutely NOTHING like him

17. rocketseagles07

Again... this is the same stuff people were saying about Lamelo. It's not about now it's about can you see the ceiling being high. One day people will stop acting like the "mature", "winner" kids do so much better in the league because they PERSONALLY like them more

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

some guys around here are waiting for KPJ to start sucking dick for crack - so there is that. :eek:

I think certain arguments need the right audience. Our happy little forum is starting to turn into a meth enraged Houston Chronicle comment section! LOL hopefully its just the high stakes of draft night and not being in this position for so long.

19. mightybosstone

No matter what happens on draft night, the thing I'm mostly looking forward to in the GARM is the immediate 180 of all the hate some of you guys have shown Mobley and Green over the last couple of weeks. Some people have been a little too pro-Green/anti-Mobley or pro-Mobley/anti-Green, and it's going to be hilarious to watch how quickly everyone changes their tune the second that second pick gets announced.

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Amen ROX Bro! Amen!

If we draft Mobley Im still going to root for him. I'll wish him the best and want him to succeed and flourish - even if he doesnt become a Rocket i'd want nothing but positivity and good vibes for him.

We are all going to remember the 2021 draft for a long time. It will be fun keeping up with "what could have been" and each of these kids career arcs as they settle into the NBA.