1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Guard league my ***

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Denovo

Denovo Member

Steph Has 3 rings.

LeBron played with Kyrie and Wade
    Kawhi played with Lowry and Tony Parker
    KD played with Russ Kyrie Steph and Harden

Kawhi’s Clippers have struggled because of the lack of a star guard.

Both finals teams have 2 star guards.

Elite Perimeter players are mandatory

#81 Denovo, Jul 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  2. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I just want players who understand how to box out for rebounds. Apparently it is a dying art.

3. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Rockets should just pick whomever they believe will be the better player. The question of Fit and which position is more valuable/important should only come into play for good teams and/or if the players are equal (or close to it) in talent/skill.

4. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Yup. We shouldn’t care about “fit” right now. we have no franchise player. Gotta find that first and the fit other players around

REEKO_HTOWN and Denovo like this.
  5. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Talent is great, but you need to be mentally strong. We need to pick someone who has basketball skills and basketball smarts. Vernon Maxwell will tell you if he was smarter back then, he would probaly gotten the Rockets to more than 2x championships. I feel J.Green is mentally tougher and if they pick a guard, I think Suggs is not a bad pickup either. The ceiling is higher for Green, Suggs is more like a T.Parker type. Mobley was mostly playing against undersize players at center in college. And I question if he can be toughen, or weasel way out like most USC guys. At least we know Green didn't get paid in college, I don't know about Mobley.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It is a position-less league.

J Sizzle likes this.
  7. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Dumbr thread, if you're like Mobley as our pick you could have made other better arguments..

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is 2021. Why are we still stuck in the mindset of putting players in the pigeonholes of guards, forwards, and centers?

Successful players are the combination of skills, physical talent, and mental makeup, regardless of whatever position people or themselves think they are.

jiggyfly and hakeem94 like this.
  9. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

That is fine but he is not out there controlling the ball on the perimeter like the "non guard" examples the op used

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Wow some of you Mobsters are really going to die on that hill huh? I can use that same flawed bandwagon logic on every single draft prospect ever. WHY is Evan Mobley better than Chet Holmgren or Paolo Banchero? I cant even believe I'm typing that sentence. That's how far off the deep end some of you guys have gone. All the prospects have their 'fans' and will push for them, but I haven't seen this cult like following for a guy in a long time. Sad part is he isn't even a finished product and so many willing to bank on 'what can be' ... SMH.

"if IFS and BUTS were candies and nuts....."

another manifestation of the tribalism that is running wild in society.

Making these kneeslap posts after every finals game is just chasing the wind. Too many egos that need to get stroked and vindicated its cringy and another round of you guys posting the same redundant videos and opinions.

Name these 'back court stars' that you speak of in next years draft compared to this one - Jaden Hardy? The guy who is being mentored by Jalen Green - that guy? Jaden Ivey? Mojave King?? Cmon man. You're just looking to argue just to argue.

edit: @D-rock Evan Mobley over Chet and Paolo?? Over Victor and Emoni the following year??

Dobbizzle, hakeem94 and sydmill like this.
  11. sydmill

sydmill Member

You're right. But fair is fair there are a lot of Green proponents crowning him as the second coming after a month (16 games) in the g league. That is a level of devotion and a leap of faith that Manson would shake his head in disbelief at. Jalen Green has so many people drinking the koolaid that people are completely blowing past the memory of Kobe and the greatness of MJ to compare him to those guys. So while the Mobley madness is real, dont pretend that it is one sided. Two wrongs dont make a right but in this day and age of people speaking past one another is this at all surprising?

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  12. JD88

JD88 Member

I've said (and been blasted) on here repeatedly that it isn't a guard league...

It's a league dominated by bigs who play like guards.

Towns, Embiid, LeBron, Durant, Kawhi, Jokic, Davis, Zion...

All dudes 6'9 and above who can handle the rock and shoot the 3ball.

As the old adage goes, you can't teach height.

jiggyfly and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I really don't care if we draft Mobley, Green or Suggs. They will all be good players but this Jalen Green suck off fest is annoying. People are comparing him to Kobe and Jordan. I didn't even hear this kind of garbage when Wiggins was a prospect.

For me it's about not falling in love with a player because he has cool dunks. He let KPJ go off for 40 against him last season. It's not like Porter Jr. is some NBA vet. I just want the best lotto ticket in the draft. The player with the highest upside. That's it. We aren't building a team to win next year or the year after that.

hakeem94 and Bobbythegreat like this.
  14. dreamshake12

dreamshake12 New Member

we were bad on defense adjustment

15. alethios

alethios Member

It's clear we need both a strong defensive anchor in the front court and stellar guard play in back court.

We need both.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, we've got a stellar combo guard already, just need that defensive anchor in the front court.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He makes adjustments like the coyote vs the roadrunner

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. JD88

JD88 Member

Did they?

A 6'8, 240lb SF point guard.
    https://www.nbadraft.net/players/lebron-james/

LeBron has played 86% of his career minutes at the SF or PF slot, regardless of whether or not he handled the ball.

Jokic handles the ball all the time, and nobody is pretending he's a PG. Zion, too, and Towns.

Nobody considers Giannis a PG.

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

True, but there has to be a good portion of us who aren't going to "fight fire with fire" in a never-ending petty war. These blanket statements that "so many people are drinking the Kool Aid" doesn't that apply to Mobley fanatics as well? That was my point that no matter the level of fandom, you cant lose sight of logic and a productive dialogue.

Sport is our last sanctuary its up to us to change what we can and not allow the radical thinking to permeate - offensive and combative jargon is definitely something we as individuals can temper. Not on a high horse here - I'm human and fall victim to feelings too, but there has to be some area for discussion without all the 'extra' added.

20. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Obviously people are exited of what they are seeing from this kid. If you are not seeing it thats cool, you dont have to join the party