1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Getting Down to the wire, what would you prefer we do?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 17, 2021.

?

Here's your options, purely as a Rox fan which 2 choices are your preference?

1. Stay at #2 Draft J. Green

2. Stay at #2 Draft E. Mobley

3. Stay at #2 Draft J. Suggs

4. Trade up to #1 Draft C. Cade (No matter the cost)

5. Trade down to #3 or #4 for additional draft capital in coming years

6. Trade #2 plus other assets for a young star (e.g. Kat)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

I read somewhere that Cleveland might want to part with Collin Sexton. If they were interested in Green, maybe they'd trade the 3 and Sexton for the 2 and 23.Then you walk out of the first round with Mobley, Sexton and whoever you get with the 24 to add to KPJ and Wood. Nice core.

sydmill and hakeem94 like this.
  2. DonatelloLimestone

lol, but I think we don't have to worry abotu tilman for this unless its trading for a big star. hyped up rookies like stars are the few that make the team a lot of money in merchandise, attention, etc. Rookies are cheap, and the stars the whole thing is marketed on them. So I'ld imagine Jalen green for 4 years on a rookie scale is a great deal for him

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I probably answer differently had I been given the option .... Trade up for a reasonable amount instead of damn the cost.

1) Trade up to 1 using the Detroit pick & one of 23/24 or EG-Indy-13+2-1.
    2) Stay put and take Green.
    3) Trade back to 3-4-5/8 and gather assets.

Trade up damn the cost doesn't make the list.

Shark44 likes this.
  4. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Where's the "anything but drafting Green" option?

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

wheres the "hire 15 shooting coaches instead, one for each of the players on your team" option?

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

whoever we pick we need the real coaches for these guys, they all have some talent but you need a fine environment to thrive and develop:
    you need fine coaches
    you need fine shooting coaches
    fine teammates
    you need a fine stimulating homecrowd, fans that excite you and make you be better and make you want to become better and play harder
    etc etc

fattz and saleem like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I doubt they will be busts but I can see them still not panning out as superstars, instead just becoming 1 time or 2 time Allstars.

This draft is deep but still nothing is guaranteed.

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

"On Tuesday, Ford said that Wiggins should be a "no brainer" for the No. 1 draft pick, which goes to Cleveland this year. But is that enthusiasm warranted?"

9. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I don‘t know any of the players since I don‘t watch College Basketball (or G-League…). From what I have Seen, Green Looks like an athletic freak and a pure scorer. I don‘t know, if he will be more of a John Wall (great scorer that doesn‘t lead to wins), Tracy McGrady (great scorer that needs other Elite players next to him) or Kobe Bryant (great scorer with great work ethic and a Killer instinct).

Cade Looks like a complete player that isn‘t Elite in any way but very good in almost every way. He seems like the kind of player, that every team can use - but definetly a player, that will need other Elite players around him to win a championship.

So higher floor for Cade, higher ceiling for Green? That‘s how it Looks like for me. It probably comes down to mental factors like leadership, work ethic and Killer instinct. I would be fine with both, including trading up for Cade, if we don‘t give up unprotected Future picks.

I would be a little more disappointed with Mobley. Big man that excell in defense in College have led to many disappointed teams that drafted them in the past. Mobley Looks a little different because of how nimble he is and because his offense isn’t bad either. But I would prefer Cade or Green.

10. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I'd be shocked if Detroit traded away the 1st pick. Cade has been the top rated prospect for what seems like years now.

I'm not a big college basketball fan so I've no clue about Mobley or Green aside from a couple games and scouting videos. From the little Ive seen, neither seem like can't miss prospects like a Zion or Ad or LeBron etc.

Not saying they won't be good or great in the NBA, only that it doesn't seem a certainty. In any case I picked Mobley since I'm intrigued by his versatility, size, athleticism and reported bbiq.

Green didn't stand out to me in the handf of ignite games I watched, but he's still so young and the gleague is a tough place to showcase growing talent and potential.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Problem Cade is just that as well...solid. He could end up as a jack of a trades master of none 6'7 wing.
    He is athletic, but he isnt as athletic as Green. He is a good shooter (40% from 3) but he doesnt seem like a sniper like Kispert. He is good defensively, but he isnt a defensive prodigy like Barnes. He had some good passes, but they arent crazy passes like the oje Giddey makes. He is like a checklist if you are building the dream no 1 pick but at the same time we dont really know much about him cuz he didnt do workouts, didnt go to combine. I think people fill in the blanks with their imagination so he ends up overrated. I still take him no 1 but I dont think trading up for him is worth it.

I think this crop of Ignite prospects really gonna be telling. If Jalen, Kuminga and Todd blow up you know GLeague is so much more harder than NCAA.

#71 roslolian, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  12. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

Excerpt from John Hollinger's latest mock draft on the Athletic:

Where I push back is the idea that Cunningham can be “The Man,” the guy you give the keys to the offense on Day 1 and never look back. For me, he’s much more of a secondary creator who can weaponize his shooting threat rather than the guy you play on the ball for 60 trips a game.

In particular, Cunningham’s game off the bounce strikes me as wildly overrated. He has a loose handle that gets away from him fairly often, particularly with his left hand. He also constantly forces passes and rarely makes deliveries that make you go “ooh!” (They’re in there if you look hard enough, but man, there’s a lot of chaff in between the wheat.) He can throw crosscourt passes with his right hand, but they’re not laser beams; the defense has a chance to recover.
    As a scoring threat on the ball, he really struggled to get by defenders. Attempts to blow by bigs on switches often ended with him dribbling straight into a defender’s chest, and he rarely got all the way to the basket. Overall he shot only 46.1 percent on 2s. Again, the limited spacing on this roster didn’t help. I like Cunningham a lot better if he starts with a half-step advantage or can leverage his shooting threat against a closing defender. Luka Doncic he ain’t.

Defensively, he’s good enough. He uses his length well and can slide his feet, but he’s not a disruptor or somebody who anticipates for steals. He won’t be NBA All-Defense or anything, but he’ll be able to switch across positions and hold his own. Again, a floor as a high-level 3-and-D guy is pretty darned good. It’s just may not be what we’re used to for the top overall pick.

I think the last point is the most interesting, that Cade is a different type of player than we typically think of as #1, in that he has an almost 'can't fail' level floor much more so than a massive ceiling. I'd be very happy to draft him, but I absolutely would not trade #2 plus multiple first to get him (which sounds like it wouldn't even be enough for DET).

I think Green and Mobley have significantly lower floors but potentially higher ceilings, and since the universe didn't give us the #1 pick, I'd rather just take a shot on one of them and keep our other picks to stock up on multiple lotto tickets than draft someone who may profile as more of a Khris Middleton type. That is a very, very good player, but we are much more than that away from being a great team.

Verbal Christ, Shark44 and roslolian like this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Shark44 likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Clutchfans has spoken. Green it is.

Why not? and Shark44 like this.
  15. 19bernardo87

19bernardo87 Member

I think Cade is the best player in the draft, and I'd love to get him, but I think we would have to overpay by a lot to get him.
    I think getting him is unrealistic--we really can't away too many picks as we start a rebuild.

My preference right now is the opposite--we trade down for more assets. Maybe not just a couple of spots, since my understanding is that the draft is pretty deep.

If I have to pick at #2, I'm currently leaning Mobley, but I'd also be happy with Green or Suggs.

16. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

This sounds like they don’t even have a plan.. just going with the flow.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. MystikArkitect

Trade down for Suggs and pick up another pick in the Top 10 if possible. That's what I'd want.

Aside from that just draft Mobley and prepare to be here discussing a Top 5 draft pick next year.

Rashmon and sydmill like this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

“You want to do the best you can with every opportunity,” Stone said. “It may turn out that this isn’t the opportunity; the opportunity is next year. It may turn out we already have somebody on our roster who could be the key. You don’t really know. It is not like, ‘Oh, this is the one and it has to be perfect.’ No. It just that you have to get through the best that you can each and every time.”

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...afael-Stone-offers-few-morsel-on-16330838.php

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

nothing's changed for me. Cade is going #1 to Detroit. Prefer Suggs over Green at #2 but If green goes #2 it is what it is. it's a risk for either case