1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Really chaps your ass amirite?

I see Evan more like a traditional power forward at the next level than a true center
    . He’s much more comfortable facing the basket, where he can use his quickness, ballhandling and passing ability. I think he’ll be great passing out of double teams. And if you have to respect him in the pick-and-roll, he’ll be devastating as a finisher on lobs and tip dunks. He’ll be one of the best finishers in the NBA on Day 1.

2. DonatelloLimestone

3. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Reposting here also to hear the case for Mobley from his supporters as I'm genuinely curious.

So, looking at the good info clutchfans have on Mobley to give him a fair shake. I checked his NCAA tournament performances and aside from the Drake and maybe Kansas game which was a blowout, I'm not super impressed with his games.

I value players that perform well under pressure for the playoffs, Green showed he can do so in the G league, Suggs certainly did as well.

What did Mobley do under pressure over others in the NCAA tournament games? And did another teammate outperform him in the game?

EDIT: Suggs had some great highs, but some really bad games as well.

#1623 OkayAyeReloaded, Jul 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  4. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

We need a big man and Mobley is right there for the taking.

I feel like free agent guards all look to sign with teams that have the all star big mans... We’ll see what stone does.

D-rock likes this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

He had great season averages. 16 8 2 in only 30 mins a night. He had better no than Suggs and was more efficient than Suggs despite being "raw" offensively.

Big men like Mobley you dont look at present you look to the future cuz they are still developing right now and less inpactful than some big men seniors with big ass bodies. Embiid for example wasnt the consensus no 1 pick in his class and Jokic fell all the way to 2nd round. Bosh was like the 6th pick or w/e.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

yeah.... i don't think that is what he meant at all. If it were that would mean he was being drafted as a guard. He has advanced guard skills (if he literally does that's not for me to say) in regard to his position in comparison to other players that play his position. that's the way I would take it when I read that though.

D-rock likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

USC was not even supposed to be in the Tournament but Mobley, as a freshman, took the undermanned Trojans all the way to Elite 8.

Context matters.

Suggs was on a super stacked Gonzaga team. The team had a near perfect season.

And many admit that Cade overachieved on a talent poor OK ST team.

Before the season, USC was ranked even below OK ST.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I agree with your highlighted part, but we need a center with a more solid frame to help Wood out than Mobley. Mobley won't be facing double teams either.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Feel the same.

Love Green. Just love Mobley more.

#1629 D-rock, Jul 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    sydmill likes this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL - fun to project.

sydmill likes this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

12. sydmill

sydmill Member

The 2 man game potential with KPJ/Mobley and even Mobley/Wood makes me totally comfortable passing on Green. If he is the choice though I will be excited for the Rockets to be must see TV.

D-rock and Plowman like this.
  13. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Thanks for the responses to the question, good points. Still leaning for Green but Mobley honestly he looks a lot better than I thought of him before.

As said in another thread the draft is a crapshoot with injuries, the player's mental strength, and other variables we don't really know who will be the best. Mobley, Green, Cade or Suggs, it may be Mobley who knows.

In the tournament, there are bigger Juniors, Seniors, etc. and they did outmuscle him at times.

I wouldn't compare him to Embiid who I followed pretty well in college as he idolized Hakeem and is the closest player since him imo. He was a beast offensively in the post and defensively, his injuries derailed his college career and draft stock. I had him over Wiggins without a doubt back then, you can see in the film.

Jokic had major questions about his athletic ability to stop NBA bigs, but his work ethic, shooting, passing and Basketball IQ were very high even back then. He was slept on majorly due to other foreign player busts who weren't athletic before him.

Mobley's coach at USC Anthony Enfield has had a pretty solid rep for having a winning team, having reached the tournament and had an even higher-ranked team than the one with Mobley in the past. With talent, Mobley had a good coach who wins with different players.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/andy-enfield-1.html

It seems to come back to if he can gain weight and fulfill his potential. He has real defensive skills, quick lateral movement, and passing ability, with solid offensive skills.

The problem is for each Anthony Davis who gained 30+ lbs and Giannis who gained 60+ lbs, there are many skinny bigs who never gain the weight and either bust or underachieve.

Still, I'm very happy to have this tough decision over the 18th pick as said before.

#1633 OkayAyeReloaded, Jul 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    noppeper, D-rock and Denovo like this.
  14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Hell yes. 18th pick puke puke puke.

If this pick pans out in a few years it helps so much to increase the potential of this team to be really really good with just a few more things falling their way. like the nets dissolving after next season somehow.

15. DonatelloLimestone

Who are the comparable players for Mobley?

He looks fluid and that he has a nice 'feel' for the game and is apparently elite in size/athletics. Do people see him being something like Odom, Ayton, J ISsac, anthon randolph, stromile swift, chris bosh, anthony davis? Whats his style of play like, his aggression,etc?

16. Kingshadaine

Kingshadaine Member

You take the player with the higher upside, and best available, that would be mobley

D-rock likes this.
  17. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I'm a big proponent of viewing Mobley as a giant wing rather than a mobile big at least offensively. His fluidity and feel is just almost unheard of for anybody that size he probably already has a better handle and moves better than Tate at this point. I like to think of him as like a big slasher type wing like Kelly Oubre or Tate off the dome but also having the ability to anchor the defense on the other end. Basically he's a perfect modern player because he allows you to play "small ball' on offense without actually being small.

Also interesting tidbit about Mobley. He averaged 2 fouls for 40 minutes which is the lowest for any big ever drafted in the 1st round by a wiiide margin. The second is AD but it's not even close. For a guy that averages around 3 blocks a game that's insane. The level of body control for this guy is on another level.

#1637 lakersuck2, Jul 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  18. DonatelloLimestone

would you think its worth then trading woods 23rd/24th for mobley at the 3rd and get green and mobley, scoring, defense to make it three building pieces along with kpj

19. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

Kai Jones >. Mobley.

cdain3 likes this.
  20. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

LeBron