1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Getting Down to the wire, what would you prefer we do?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 17, 2021.

?

Here's your options, purely as a Rox fan which 2 choices are your preference?

1. Stay at #2 Draft J. Green

2. Stay at #2 Draft E. Mobley

3. Stay at #2 Draft J. Suggs

4. Trade up to #1 Draft C. Cade (No matter the cost)

5. Trade down to #3 or #4 for additional draft capital in coming years

6. Trade #2 plus other assets for a young star (e.g. Kat)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

So, looking at the good info clutchfans have on Mobley to give him a fair shake. I checked his NCAA tournament performances and aside from the Drake and maybe Kansas game which was a blowout, I'm not super impressed with his games.

I value players that perform well under pressure for the playoffs, Green showed he can do so in the G league, Suggs certainly did as well.

What did Mobley do under pressure over others in the NCAA tournament games? And did another teammate outperform him in the game?

EDIT: Suggs had some great highs, but some really bad games as well.

#41 OkayAyeReloaded, Jul 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    Trackwell likes this.
  2. PatBev

PatBev Member

I don’t think Detroit has the balls to not draft Cade. That would be almost disrespectful to the fans

I want green. I think him and Porter have the best chance chemistry wise

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At 19, he pulled an average USC team to the Elite Eight...only to go down against the consensus #1. The first guy to win PAC 12 player of the year, Freshman of the year, and Defensive player of the year. Only four Freshman have finished top 3 in +/- in the last 10 yrs. ...Zion/KAT/AD...and Mobley.

4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

If we select Mobley I'd still be excited regarding our future granted I'm still leaning Jalen Green. From a defensive, versatile and size standpoint Mobley is the one. Development and time is needed but it's needed for every player in this draft to a certain extent. I just wish Mobley had more of a chip and edge on the court. I'm not confident in his desire to really dominate the game. I'm concerned about his weight but if he can just develop more base power and solidify the art of advantageously getting in the right positions in the post I can see that helping his defense and rebounding numbers translate to NBA games.

Shark44 and DonatelloLimestone like this.
  5. VoR

VoR Member

Talk to the players who are interested in being a part of the culture, draft them. If that means trading up, do it. If that means trading down, do it.

I’m not an anti-mar1juana guy, but my guess is that Green’s recreational life will cause some problems with his career, which means he’s not worth the premium salary for the higher draft. He quite likely will just start getting his life in focus when there are only two years left on his rookie contract.

Sign Olynyk. Use the draft to get three picks in and hope that one of them blossoms. My guess is Suggs if no Cade.

My dream first round would be Keon Johnson, Giddey and Tre Mann.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Here's an interesting article from a sports economist (2014) that looks at why lottery picks don't often succeed... https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...top-nba-draft-picks-always-disappoint/373338/

A few excerpts...

"As others and I have observed before, if we look back at the history of what the top three picks in the NBA draft have actually done, there’s not much reason for optimism. Data shows that the players drafted early often fizzle out once they start playing in the NBA."

"Consider the following 10 names: Evan Turner, Hasheem Thabeet, Michael Beasley, O.J. Mayo, Adam Morrison, Andrea Bargnani, Marvin Williams, Ben Gordon, Darko Milicic, and Kwame Brown. Each of these players were selected with a top-three pick in this century. And each was a below-average performer after four years in to his career (the NBA’s collective bargaining agreement gives lottery teams the rights to a player for four years if all options are exercised). In the case of Adam Morrison, he was so unproductive that he never even played four seasons."

"Certainly this list suggests that finding a “good” player isn’t a sure thing. But exactly how often does “good” happen? Let’s say a player is “good” if his career production of wins per 48 minutes (calculation explained here) is simply above average after four seasons in the league. This is not a difficult threshold to overcome (by this definition, about half of all NBA rotation players are “good”)."

"But even with this minimum threshold, “good” doesn’t happen as often as the fans at the draft parties might think. Since the ABA-NBA merger in 1976, only 54.3% of players selected with the top three picks were above average four years into their career. Or more than 45% of top three selections were not above average. That suggests that landing a “good” player with one of the top three choices is little better than a coin flip."

"And the story gets worse if we ask the following: How often are all the top three choices in a single draft “good” players? Since 1976 this has happened exactly twice. In 1999 the top three choices were Elton Brand, Steve Francis, and Baron Davis. These players are not likely to be in the Hall of Fame. But they were above average (at least early in their respective careers). And then back in 1984, the top three choices were Hakeem Olajuwon, Sam Bowie, and Michael Jordan. Two of these players are in the Hall of Fame. Bowie—whose career was severely impacted by injury—was not quite as successful as Olajuwon or Jordan. But Bowie was above average early in his career. And relative to many other players selected with the top three choices in the draft, Bowie was actually a “good” player."

"Of course, fans of the Sixers might think this years is going to be different. Until it was revealed Joel Embiid has a stress fracture in his foot, most mock drafts argued that Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker, and Embiid would be the first three choices in the 2014 draft. Although no one can agree on the order these three will be selected, it appears that at least one of these players will be available when the Sixers are on the clock. Chad Ford—ESPN.com’s NBA draft expert—recently said that these three players rank among the top 12 draft prospects in the past 15 years."

"If a player wants to hear his name early on draft night he should be young, play for a winning team, and score."

"Now, some might think that younger players who score on winning teams are indeed more valuable. But when we look at what predicts future performance we see a different story. Players who are younger, who score, and who played for winning teams in college do not produce more wins in the NBA."

"Although we cannot know with certainty which college players will be great, we do know that the two best predictors are shooting efficiency and rebounds. These two factors, though, don’t have much impact on where a player is selected in the draft.

"On Tuesday, Ford said that Wiggins should be a "no brainer" for the No. 1 draft pick, which goes to Cleveland this year. But is that enthusiasm warranted?"

"But the stats that predict future performance in the NBA don’t make Wiggins look so good. Since 1991, more than 1,000 players have been selected out of the college ranks by NBA teams. Of all these players, Wiggins—with an effective field goal percentage of 49.9%—ranked 842nd in shooting efficiency. And when it comes to rebounding (a mark adjusted for position played), Wiggins also ranked 842nd. In sum, Wiggins did not dominate non-NBA players in college. Why would he be a "no brainer" to dominate in the NBA?"

7. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Drift Monkey and Corrosion like this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This post from @Reeko nails it. This is where I am at. Perfect gif usage.

9. DonatelloLimestone

I'm really more concerned with what type of girls he dates

What exactly s the culture you are talking about here? Very curious.

If you have a problem or even concerns for players n this league who smoke, then you may very well be against 80 percent of the league. Maybe like saying I can't trust an MLB player who drinks alcohol. Except many consider this healthier and perhaps even therapeutic to some bc you don't have to smoke it to enjoy it.

Tr man is definitely interesting and might fall to us

Drift Monkey likes this.
  10. fattz

fattz Member

Trading back with Orlando gifts us Suggs, Green or Barnes at #5

AND

#8 Sengan or Bouknight

It’s a double down win.

hakeem94 and vator like this.
  11. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

12. QuaDouble

QuaDouble Member

I can live with any option except trading for the "young star." Too many of those guys are what we don't want. Drafting Suggs without trading down seems silly though.

Shark44 likes this.
  13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Stay at #2, pick Green or Mobley, depending on whomever has the biggest fire in the belly to be the greatest. We need someone who will want to continuously improve themselves.

raining threes and Shark44 like this.
  14. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Well, so far it's pretty clear the majority of folks would prefer to stay at #2 and draft Green. Staying at 2 and draft Mobes is a distant 2nd and trading the bank for Cade is #3. We're in a great spot given the talent available in this year's draft. Take BPA and keep building the squad at 23/24.

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

By this you mean that we trade back to save rookie scale salary, and use the trade back to dump salary. Walk away with lower salary and "an exciting prospect" who we use picks to salary dump in 2 years....

HP3 likes this.
  16. JD88

JD88 Member

I'd rather trade down to #3 or #4, and trade up from #23 and #24 and draft Davion Mitchell.

I'd take a future of Mitchell, ?, KPJ, Wood, and lots of picks.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Yikes so far that ain't a good a list. Zion is ehhh still waiting for him to come out. KAT is Kat... and AD finally has Lebron.

hakeem94 and Corrosion like this.
  18. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Thank you, I've gotten good answers I appreciate the insight.

Really the draft is such a crapshoot with development, the player's mental strength, environment and injuries we don't know who will be the best. It maybe Mobley, Green, Cade or even Suggs.

But I don't really put too much stock in College level awards, not saying he is this player but look at this list of awards for this player in college:

Awards
    2006-07 Big East All-Freshman
    2007-08 All-Big East - 2nd Team
    2007-08 Big East Defensive Player of the Year
    2007-08 NABC Defensive Player of the Year
    2008-09 All-Big East - 1st Team
    2008-09 Big East Defensive Player of the Year
    2008-09 Big East Player of the Year
    2008-09 NABC Defensive Player of the Year
    2008-09 Wooden Award - Finalists
    2008-09 Consensus All-America - 2nd Team

Hasheem Thabeet's college profile:
    https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/hasheem-thabeet-1.html

But I will say he definitely should be a beast defensively as he can move his feet, has genuine passing skills and decent offensive skills, but in his games I saw him disappear at times in the tournament. His impact in especially the final game under pressure wasn't nearly as good as his numbers. I think at his full potential he could be a DPOY and #2 guy on offense on a contending team. At his worst perhaps he won't gain weight and could bust or underachieve.

Still leaning for Jalen Green (or Cade), but regardless, it's exciting to have this choice rather than the #18 pick.

#58 OkayAyeReloaded, Jul 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    HTown_TMac likes this.
  19. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Trade up to #1 literally no matter the cost. EGo for #13, package the #13 along with #2, #23 & #24 + one of our stashed future firsts. And if they want Wood? Honestly, consider it, but I'd like to try and coax them into Tate first even though they have Bey. By the time Cade is 25/26, Wood is 30/31. If that's too ballsy, I like Mobley at #2 or a trade back to 3 or 4 for Suggs. I'd prefer #3 because Cleveland has more to offer and they seem antsy to get rid of Sexton and get ahold of Jalen Green. Or is it Mobley they want?

#59 BigggReddd, Jul 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    Shark44 likes this.
  20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I’m so damn torn

Shark44 and Hakeemtheking like this.