1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. - how good can he be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 28, 2021.

?

What is your prediction on KPJ’s career?

Poll closed Apr 27, 2021.
  1. Franchise player

93 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Borderline Allstar

150 vote(s)
    56.4%
  3. Role Player

22 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Benchwarmer

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thats legit. I can dig it.

I think KP is a natural point. He would rather assist and dish vs having to score a bunch of points per night. I think thats why an alpha scorer next to him would be so valuable. They would coexist beautifully. You bring in Mobley then KP still has to be a scoring machine and puts him outside of his element and forcing. Cade? Well how good is Cade going to be off ball? His highest arc comes as a ball dominant distributor - just like KP.

Im not sure any of the top 4 guys will be a "mistake" even when we all have our faves.

D-rock likes this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Cade is an elite 3ball catch and shooter.

40% from 3 is no joke. Question is can he sustain it, his 3ball was a concern coming out of HS.

And Mobley was not even the primary scorer or ball handler at USC. If anything, we really have yet to see what a good coach can do to unlock him as a player.

Green and Kuminga had the advantage of better coaching, better surrounding talent and playing pro style pace and space game, without the defense.

Mobley was underutilized in college same as players like Kai Jones, Scottie Barnes, Keon Johnson, etc.

clos4life and Verbal Christ like this.
  3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I think highly of KPJ. I think he fits worst with Cade but that doesnt matter. Still dont want to plan too much around KPJ and certainly dont want to draft around him.

4. Bo6

Bo6 Member

these are good points. i'm starting to think more and more it's cade or bust for stone.

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I would want KP as primary ball handler. Relegating Cade to a scorer diminished him as an overall player and talent. He should have the ball in his hands most of the time for whoever he plays for.

Do you trust this staff to develop Mobley? They totally botched Kristaps. Gonna bank on Dream rubbing off part time?

GLeague kids proved they could play with grumpy old men and other guys who are just as hungry to take the next step. College guys will sometimes face NBA talent, but most of the time it’s against guys who are moving into the workforce the following year. It’s all relative to a degree anyway since Mobley clowns those guys for the most part as he should.

Coaches in college preach team ball especially in those bigger programs. Mobley did as well as he could. If his shooting numbers were better those stats would pop and this convo would be different. On that note can you imagine what Jalen Green would have done at Memphis with Penny Hardaway? That squad was a defensive force and needed a guy to fill it up. Jalen would have put on show and given some high level exposure to defense.

D-rock likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Good point, but I dont trust this coaching staff to develop ANY player.

Including Green.

But have to give props for progress of both Porter and Wood.

Did not quite maximize either player but the players did grow.

csc177 likes this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

that’s the dilemma. Silas running his 4 & 5 out pick and pop/roll heavy game needs some decent shooters. That offense turned Kristaps (one of the original “unicorns”) into a spot up 3 point shooter and roll man/lob threat while Luka cooked. Damn travesty. On top of that you’re gonna have hating ass Wood all but hurt this rookie is stealing shine doesn’t seem like a match to me in more than than one way. Mobley isn’t a good enough shooter yet to maximize his chances in this offense and the coaching May not be good enough to bring out his fullest potential with their philosophy.

FTR - I’m fine with trading Wood and getting a better coach for Mobley if he’s Stones guy.

8. csc177

csc177 Member

Yeah it was hard to do much of anything in that losing season full of injuries.

Players that played for Silas spoke highly of him - Luka (took a huge step w/ Silas as OC), Steph, kemba - did as well. I think Kpj and Jalen will flourish - once Wall is gone of course

D-rock likes this.
  9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

His career will likely end up somewhere between Jordan and Matt Maloney.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Maloney only wishes he could be as good as 1st year PG Porter.

#510 D-rock, Jul 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    Rocketeer likes this.
  11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

KPJ could be better then any of the top 4 picks but I wouldn’t avoid drafting anyone because of him. There’s too much unknown. I agree that Cunningham takes the ball out of KPJ’s hands more than what’s ideal but so what? A big part of whether or not he fulfills his potential is going to be how he adapts to playing with other great players. There’s enough basketball to go around.

peleincubus, Bo6 and D-rock like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Cade is also excellent on catch and shoot.

Cade would be a great fit next to KPjr.

Unlike Green, Cade does not necessarily need the ball to impact the game IMO.

Reeko and BigM like this.
  13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Absolutely. Though I think Green would be fine as well.

D-rock likes this.
  14. xaos

xaos Member

Inefficient?

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

His offensive rating was just 102 in the G League

D-rock likes this.
  16. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

His TS% was .613. He was very efficient in the G League, and I’m a Mobley guy.

xaos likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

His shooting was fine, but he didn't get to the line much and he was a likely to turn the ball over as he was to get an assist. Those factors dragged his offensive rating down.

He'd likely handle the ball less and get more catch and shoot opportunities on the Rockets and that should help

D-rock and coachbadlee like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

For sure, Green is top 3 for a reason.

But if he really was the next Kobe, he would be #1 no question.

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Green isn’t the next Kobe. But to be fair even if he was, we probably wouldn’t know right now. The real Kobe wasn’t even drafted in the top 5. The correct draft order is wrong every year and multiple teams are going to be wrong again this year.

D-rock and xaos like this.
  20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Everyone said CP3 and Harden couldn't play together remember? Any yet they broke records. I think Rox trying to build a youth version of that pairing with KPJ and Cade. An "elite" playmaker on the floor for 48 minutes wins you games.

D-rock and BigM like this.