1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

Passing on Mobley will come to bite all these teams in the ass.

2. sydmill

sydmill Member

That's a hot take that should age like milk. We'll see in a few weeks. Haters gonna hate. Better chance Mobley goes 1 than he drops past 5 in my mind.

don grahamleone and D-rock like this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't think ive seen anyone say Mobley is dropping out of the lottery, lol.

Isn't it a bit ironic to make that comment though in the same post you say he has "advanced guard skills".
    You really think Mobley has ADVANCED guard skills?

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

YES!

Mobley has advanced guard skills, you'd know this if you even bothered to watch film, or hell just click on some of the recent links to articles that @J.R. just generously delivered to your fingertips.

"He's a 7-foot wing. That's how I talk about him," one draft scout told CBS Sports. "Evan Mobley's thing is that he's a player who was raised to be a point guard, and he's 7-feet tall. ... You can use him in a lot of ways that the centers of the past five or seven years are pretty rarely put in."

"Mobley is closer to a [Nikola] Jokic-level processor, where he's thinking about the angles and thinking about solutions that he specifically is allowed to have that other people just don't -- just from passing skills and the height and the handles," a scout told CBS Sports. "So I think that seeing him as a 'big,' rather than the possibilities of unlocking him offensively, sort of undersells how much weirdness there is there."

As for the dropping out of the lotto, the comment was likely tongue in cheek but it was dripping with ignorance and pomposity so I had to call it out.

The comment in question is on this very thread, a page back or so.

#1564 D-rock, Jul 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    hakeem94 likes this.
  5. JayZ750

I've watched MASSIVE amounts of film on him.

He has worse guard skills than Christian Wood at this point.

Respond with one clip with advanced guard skills... i just want to see what you consider advanced guard skills.

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You tried to bet me? How did I miss that? What was the bet? Was it that Isaiah Hartenstein would have a superior career to Evan Mobley?

don grahamleone and D-rock like this.
  7. Bo6

Bo6 Member

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

If you've actually watched massive amounts of film then youve already made up your mind that you prefer another player.

And I question your analysis if your conclusion is that Mobley has worse guard skills than Wood.

That's just loco! Wood doesn't have nearly the vision, handles or passing of Mobley.

But do not take it from me, actual NBA scouts and executives describe Mobley's guard skills as advanced, unique even.

See my post above as well as snippets from same article breaking down said skills.

The ability to pick-and-roll as well as pick-and-pop is a rare skill set for a big man -- but again, this is not a typical big man we're talking about. As such, Mobley brings even more to the offensive party, with the ability to create his own offense from perimeter for either midrange jumpers or forays to the paint:

He even has potential as a pick-and-roll ball-handler, particularly from the side:

Mobley has also shown a distinct ability to facilitate for others. He can initiate offense from the middle of the floor, much like Heat center Bam Adebayo. Mobley was particularly adept at high-low passes at USC, usually to his older brother Isaiah for easy buckets:

Plays like this show that Mobley can thrive next to another big, like Anthony Davis has done for the last couple of seasons with the Los Angeles Lakers. Mobley reads defenses well, and has the touch to throw lobs when the big defender steps up:

With the Houston Rockets owning the No. 2 pick, the idea of Mobley and versatile big man Christian Wood playing together is incredibly intriguing.

"I think when you look at a Mobley, he's gonna be able to do stuff inside, but also he has the ability to now step out to the 3, run the floor, pick-and-pop, dribble hand-off-pop, create space on the floor," Joe Abunassar, the founder and president of IMPACT Basketball who has prepared prospects for the draft for over 30 years, told CBS Sports. "So I think that if it was a big guy who only scored inside in college, that would be a little bit of a concern. But for a kid like that, I mean, he's ultra-talented."

That talent has a chance to take Mobley even further if he can continue to develop as a playmaker. He averaged 2.4 assists per game at USC, and made some impressive passes in traffic. He averaged 1.264 points per possession in the halfcourt including assists last season, which ranked in the 87th percentile, according to Synergy.

One of Mobley's most advanced attributes is his composure on the court. He rarely rushes or forces the issue when facing multiple defenders, and shows vision that should immediately transfer to the NBA level. Watch here as Mobley uses a wicked crossover to create separation, then finds his brother for a layup when the defender steps up:

He's also shown the ability to find open 3-point shooters either from the mid-post or from under the basket -- a skill that will serve him well in any NBA offense:

https://gfycat.com/tangiblefrailamericanbadger
    https://gfycat.com/splendidwideeyedhyena

And just when you thought there was nothing left in Mobley's bag, he breaks out his transition game. He runs like a gazelle and finishes above the rim, as he does in this Giannis-esque display of speed, skill and power, racing from basket to basket in four dribbles:

https://gfycat.com/adeptsnoopyleech

But he can also set up teammates with his ball-handling and passing ability on the break. You don't often see 7-footers throwing picture-perfect lobs from two steps inside the halfcourt line:

https://gfycat.com/merrymeaslygiantschnauzer

Given his versatility and upside, it's no surprise that Mobley is reportedly in consideration for the No. 1 overall pick by the Detroit Pistons. It's understandable that front offices might value a perimeter prospect over a big man given recent draft history, but we need to remember that with Mobley, there is no spoon.

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

10. JayZ750

^ i asked for ADVANCED guard skills.

You should me a bunch of clips of someone that is capable of dribbling and passing occasionally.

ADVANCED!! That was your words. ADVANCED.

Again, Christian Wood already has MUCH BETTER guard skills than anything you posted above and no one in their right mind would be like "maybe he's a wing!". He's a better passer then CWood... but passing isn't a guard skill. There's scoring guards that aren't good at passing either, and there's plenty of bigs that are good at passing.

It has nothing to do with making up one's mind.

But hey, if you looked at those clips and were like "man, is this a big or a guard?!?! I can't tell its so advanced with guard skills!!!" ...

Then you do you, lol.

Dobbizzle and Denovo like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Passing and dribbling are NOT guard skills????

87th percentile is advanced.

He averaged 1.264 points per possession in the halfcourt including assists last season, which ranked in the 87th percentile, according to Synergy.

That's my cue to put you on ignore.

Thanks for wasting my time.

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. JayZ750

Not in their basic forms.

Those are basketball skills.

Wtf? You think that any big that can dribble and pass has ADVANCED guard skills.

One of the dumbest things I've ever heard on here.

Jalen Green is really great at scoring near the basket. He's got "ADVANCED BIG MAN" skills!!!

Dobbizzle, Bo6, Denovo and 1 other person like this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I think all 10 Commandments of Logic have been broken on this page.

JayZ750, D-rock and J Sizzle like this.
  14. JayZ750

Where you coming out? Does Evan Mobley have advanced guard skills lol?

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's beautiful

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Ummmmmm - NO.

I guess we first need to define "advanced guard skills"

Evan is not pushing the ball off screens and using rubs to get open. He's not playing off ball 2. He's not "running the offense". He's not creative with the dribble in traffic, he isnt setting up plays for the point. Not yet at least. Maybe he can get better at some of that, but he is a somewhat plodding big man who brings the ball down in traffic as a face up player. He's going to get ripped constantly in the NBA. Keep the ball high at least.

He plays his role well. Very well. Willing and able passer. Awesome defender. But being able to dribble between your legs as a 7 footer while super cool, is not a qualifier for me. Some of us are starting to use artistic license in our comps.

Just my .002

Dobbizzle, JayZ750, Bo6 and 3 others like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Then take it up with Chad Ford and other knowledgeable NBA experts.

This is not just my take in a vacuum.

Disagree if you must but to simply disregard it is beyond confusing.

Talk about logic busting.

His foul rate per 40 minutes is the lowest we’ve ever seen on a big this high in the draft. Averages about 2 fouls per 40 minutes. It speaks to a unique level of fluidity and mobility for Evan Mobley. He doesn’t run and move well for a 7-footer. He runs and moves well for a guard. Then you look at his offensive game. He can take you off the dribble. He can pull up and shoot. He’s an excellent passer. In many ways, statistically, he’s a unicorn because offensively he plays like a guard but has defensive abilities of a big man.

jiggyfly, Verbal Christ and hakeem94 like this.
  18. clos4life

clos4life Member

I would be very happy with Mobley as our pick.

Hakeemtheking and D-rock like this.
  19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I mean Chad Ford retroactively changes his draft rankings to make it look like he is on top of these cycles so there is that. Not a big Ford fan myself, but that doesnt mean his opinion isnt of value.

Correct. Evan has the athleticism and moves very well for his size, and can mimic some guard moves and the such, but you mentioned 'advanced' and I think that is where the hang up is.

Why not just basic guard skills? I would agree with that. Its not a knock on a 7 footer.

Dobbizzle and Denovo like this.
  20. JayZ750

lol Chad Ford... the same dude that retroactively changes his big board to make himself look better...

Jokic plays like a guard
    AD plays like a fluid big
    Mobley isn't as fluid as AD

here's his guard like fluidity

Dobbizzle likes this.