1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Anderson didn't enjoy his time in Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BossHogg713, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Something really doesn't add up here.

He mentions feeling the pressure from the Rockets fans.

Like Ryan, are you drunk? Toyota Centre has bare minimum attendance. What fans are you talking about.

slothy420, tycoonchip, Ramo$e and 2 others like this.
  2. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

This simply isn't true.

Otherwise coaches would not be bringing in shooters to hit last second shots after barely playing any role in the prior 47 minutes and 50 seconds.

3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

BS.

First, how often do you see guys brought into a game for last second shots that haven’t played all game? This is not some common occurrence. In fact it almost never happens.

Second, even if that were reality just because a coach does it doesn’t make it correct.

Ramo$e, subtomic and hakeem94 like this.
  4. BenjaminChen

BenjaminChen Member

Should have signed DMo instead in 2016.

Ramo$e, Bo6, J Sizzle and 1 other person like this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

ha was hanging too much on cf obviously

Ramo$e likes this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he shot 40% and 39% (on 3 pointers) respectively in his 1st and 2nd year on rockets... no 3pt shooter is that consistent... even steph and klay have experienced multiple weeks long slumps...ego was even more prone to 3pt shooting slumps than ryan....

Ramo$e likes this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he shot near 40% on 3pt as a rocket...thats almost elite if not outright elite... and he is not the only player that passes up an open shot sometimes... every basketball player does it.. james harden for example did it many times...if you played basketball yourself you should know youre not always ready to shoot or just dont feel it at the moment

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Ryno would have killed it in the Bubble

Disney Ryno

Ramo$e and ElPigto like this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

"We paid you 80M and you did nothing" that's an assessment of his performance. Anderson can say a lot of things but he cant deny he was a scrub. That is objectively true. Nobody can say he played like a star he played liked **** and got exposed both on offense snd defense.

Giannis is playing like one of the best people on earth and yet you're still ******** on him for no reason. Thats a lot worse, you're just a hater on Giannis yet have the nerve to say other people are worse lmao. I mean you have Giannis playing at an all world level yet you're calling him disgusting and thats somehow better than calling a scrub a scrub? You are only ******** on his style of play no matter how much he dominates and calling him unskilled but yeah, you arent attscking his body of work lmao. You just discredited all those hours of work he put in the gym and on the court but hey, you arent attacking his body of work. You said his 2 MVPs is a sham, but you arent attacking his body of work. You said nobody wants to be like him and he doesnt inspire anybody in the world, but you arent attacking his body of work. Just read back all your posts on giannis, even if Giannis slaps you I doubt you feel anything cuz of how thick your face is. Nobody here ever called Anderson disgusting, he never inspired anyone and nobody else wants to be like him. You are one of the posters who spews the most hate here yet you sit on your high horse like you never said a bad word.

Just stop being a hypocrite man. Your argument is basically "if I insult someone and he gets offended, he is soft. But if other posters **** on other players, then thats just not right". Regardless whether you are worse or other posters are worse you are still doing the same thing so why the hell are you the one to make that post? Somebody like durvasa or jordnnn, I've never seen those guys insult other players they should be the one making that post and not you wtf. You just as bad as the rest of us so just shut up. Oh yeah attacking our own players is bad? Like when you attacked WB you mean?

Lol wtf. Just pathetic.

#109 roslolian, Jul 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

His % is good only because it averages, on road game he shoots like 60% on home games he shoots like 30% and it rounds out to a gokd no on average.

Sure sometimes players pass up shots but his role is as a shooter, he doesnt do anything else he doednt defend, grab rebs or make plays for others. He was strictly a spacer so if a spacer doesnt shoot how much is he hurting the team? People know the dude was scared to shoot so they leave him open, it negates the space he was supposed to generate cuz they look at his stats he shoots like 8 times a night in total or w/e. Other teams do scouting they realize if this dude left wide open every game he will still only score 12 pts a night, teams can live with that if it means double coverage on Harden all game.

If a guy played 30 mins, took just 1 shot and made every shot he'd have 100% fg but it doesnt mean hr would be a good bball player. You have to have good mix of volume and accuracy if your role is to be a scorer.

11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Feeling is mutual.

Didn't enjoy him in Houston.

Probably the single biggest nasty contract that held the Rockets back from upgrading the contending team.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I guess, Ryno, if you had Jokic' skillset and you went to another team, you would have had fun.

13. Bo6

Bo6 Member

thats where i don't think stats tell the story. do you have the clutch %? when the shots mattered? Ryno was hella streaky. I'd take a consistent/clutch 37% over a streaky 40%.

remembered a lot of garbage time 3s but could be my ****-colored glasses

BamBam likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

As a player, it ain't your job to read the tweets of your fanbase, just play and keep collecting 'em checks.

Tough as it sounds.

15. HP3

HP3 Member

Im not denying any of that. But the fact is players can play badly without people pointing it out every god damn damn time and attacking them constantly. The fanbase was pretty awful to Anderson just like they are to Brewer, just like they were to Ariza, just like they are to Wall right now.

Lmao well for one, he's not on the Rockets. I'm also just saying I dont like the way he plays, yea I find it disgusting. Thats not worse, you're just a b****. And THAT is me being derogatory towards someone. Wtf, I also called him a great player and good person but your pea brain just missed that I see. He's not a skilled player relative to the elite players in this league. His game relies heavily on athleticism. Im not attacking his body of work, he's a two time MVP lmao. All elite players put in the work, he wouldnt be where he is without it. He's not an inspiring basketball player to me no. I did not say his MVPs were a sham, now you are just straight up lying. I didnt call Giannis disgusting, I said his basketball is. Lmao they have called Anderson a whole bunch of words I have never called Giannis. He's not inspiring people as a basketball player just like Shaq wasnt. Yes me in all of clutchfans, I spew the most hate on here lmaooooo.

Im not calling him soft, Im calling YOU soft, which you are. If you think "Giannis plays gross basketball" is spewing hatred than you are soft like charmin. Giannis doesnt give a damn what I think, especially when Im not even a Bucks fan haha, and there is the difference. Lmao, no Im not. I dont continually **** on players while they are playing for us. I will never be as hateful or as dumb as you lmao, you can take that to the bank. WB is the ONE Rockets player I shat on and even then I respected him as a person and I have said good things about him and his play later in Washington. Even in his goodbye thread I acknowledged that I was harsh on him and that I wished him well. Lmao there was none of that for Anderson, even now, people still can't get over it. You were also still a dip **** to Chirs Paul even in his goodbye thread.

You of all people should not be calling people pathetic lol.

#115 HP3, Jul 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

Ryno out here spreading lies for sympathy…u really hate to see it

ElPigto likes this.
  17. AXG

AXG Member

Like others already mentioned, he was elite on the road but shot poorly at home because of "depth perception" issues. Towards the end of his tenure here, he didn't even shoot anymore. If he doesn't shoot, then what is the point of playing him?

ElPigto likes this.
  18. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While I wasn't a fan of giving Ryno a big contract, the fact that he was such a terrible fit in the Rockets' defensive scheme is hardly his fault.

The switch-everything scheme was designed to cover Harden's complete unwillingness to fight through picks, as well as to neutralize (or at least attempt to) teams that ran a lot of pick-and-roll with ultra-long distance shooters. Not every team relied upon it to the same degree the Rockets did, which is why Ryno could have worked out better on other teams. Bringing him in when he couldn't fulfill a key aspect of our defensive scheme, and more broadly, bringing in anyone to a situation where he is guaranteed to fail is a sure-fire way to destroy his confidence (not just Ryno's). Add to that the Rocket's historically inert offensive schemes, and I totally understand why he didn't enjoy his time here.

My point isn't just hindsight by the way - looks like this was recognized back in 2016

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/even-with-salary-cap-bump-these-10-nba-contracts-raised-eyebrows/

Another part of this was caused by the NBA's (and player union's) absolutely stupid decision to add 100% of that big salary cap bump in 2016 vs spreading it out over a few years. That's what enabled Golden State to sign Durant (when they already had 3 max-level stars plus Klay), and in order to compete, all the other teams overpaid to sign fresh talent that year. Ryno was but one example of that.

19. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder if this is partly caused by the fact that the Toyota center doesn't dim the lights over the stands. Ryan isn't the only player who's had issues shooting at Toyota Center.

20. markelliott1997

I'm sure the rest of our team didn't love him getting switched on Steph Curry either.