1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cade Cunningham

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yetti, Jun 1, 2021.

1. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if they are ok with #2, KPJ and the Detroit pick for Cade, then that means they think we would have been better off not making the trade.

xtruroyaltyx and Shark44 like this.
  2. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Lol Idk what that announcer was doing there

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Looking forward to your video on Cade’s shot creation!

raining threes likes this.
  4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I thought about this: KPJ included with the #2 and the Detroit pick, given how KPJ and Green have a bromance already (more likely they enjoy it in Houston, but, still).

IF, and only if, we get something else back. Unless Cade walks on water and heals all your sickness when you touch the hem of his garment, I think that KPJ / #2 / keep your g**damned pick, then = too much for the #1.

I don't suppose I could hope for Jerami Grant if we evened things out with Eric Gordon. (*crickets chirping*?)

5. mightybosstone

In terms of what some of these posters are saying, yes, I would expect more consistency based on the expectations they're putting on KPJ. If we're fine with just accepting that he was the 30th pick and was kicked off the Cavs for legitimate reasons, and just letting him grow and develop over time, I'm 100% fine with him not being super consistent at this age and experience level.

But once people start saying crazy things like him being a top 2-3 pick in this draft, him being a lock to be a future superstar or us building around him as a guaranteed future cornerstone, that's where I have problems. That's been my take the whole time and the reason I commented in the thread in the first place—CF posters are seriously overrating him and where he's at right now.

I really like KPJ. I thought it was a savvy pickup, and he's exceeded my expectations since he's been acquired. But he's still super raw, wildly inconsistent, shot 31% from 3 last year and is horrible on defense. If he can build on some of that potential he's shown, improve his basketball IQ and become a little more consistent, we can start talking about him being a star and a cornerstone. I'm not there yet, though.

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So people are OK with giving Mobley YEARS to develop and "mature" at 19 years old, but giving KPJ those same parameters as a 21 year old is somehow different?

In KPJ's first full time PG role he produced 17/6/4 with noted struggles defensively and in shooting. Sound familiar? It should because just about every single basketball rookie or young player has those same issues. 6 assists on a sht team with marginal shooting? How is that so under the radar and easy to replace?

Its really a mystery how some ROX Bros just thumb their nose at him. Waiting for him to implode with Mr Smithers rubbing hands.

7. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Should be out at 3

Reeko likes this.
  8. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Lol I don’t know how Twitter works apparently, took me three tries to upload, but here it is:

No Worries, cmoak1982 and 18pbr like this.
  9. raining threes

Green/Mobley/Cunningham are going to be super raw too. So my expectations of KPJ are in line with my expectations for Green. They're both young talented guys with alot to learn.

10. mightybosstone

If the Rockets take Green or Mobley with the No. 2 overall pick and either guy has a rookie season with a 52.8% TS%, a flat .000 WS/48 and a negative 3.8 BPM next season, color me disappointed. That's not the stat line of a No. 2 pick who has exceeded his expectations as a rookie. That's a statline of a rookie with a hell of a lot of work to do.

Compare Ja Morant's rookie season, for example, to KPJ's second year last year, and you'll see what I'm talking about:
    https://stathead.com/tiny/gjrss

18/7/4/1 on .477/.335/.776 shooting splits with 55.6% TS%, a 17.4 PER, an 0.88 WS/48 and a positive BPM and VORP

THAT is a rookie season of a No. 2 pick I'd be happy with. Not perfect, but relatively efficient with average to above average stats across the board. KPJ is nowhere close to that right now.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. raining threes

You're not going to get those numbers from anybody in this years draft. Maybe Cunningham but that's doubtful. Morant is a rare guy. He's better than Ayton for instance. Just like he's better than KPJ. No shame in that. I expect if he can keep his head on straight an all star type guy eventually.