1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

There was a Zacks article (by human cfa not one of their machine generated ones), giving a $12 target. First "professional" analyst take since the results came out. Basically upgraded chance of approval with the data out, but reduced TAM. This contradicts the shorts' narrative that data means it is unapprovable and going to $0.

peleincubus likes this.
  2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I am 95% stock index funds and only 5% individual stock, I have done decent over the years, but as I get closer to retirement, I am wondering should i move some asset to holding pattern instead of the more risky funds and other. I am just not sure if it is worth it to get the adviser vs doing reading on the subjects myself on questions like these.

Are you serious on penny stock and options? I don't have that kind of risk tolerance, thus the index mutual funds.

3. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Not sure what you mean by holding pattern.

I think your thinking about getting more defensive as you get closer to retirement makes sense, "locking in" a comfortable retirement. Since you are considering getting adviser, no harm talking to an adviser without buying first to see what they offer (just don't rush into subscribing to any long term plans they try to sell). The advisers i've talked to weren't great, tried selling me ILPs with high fees, but the underlying of those products in the end are just mutual funds/ETFs so the risks are the same as buying the mutual funds/ETFs individually (and term insurance separately), just with higher fees, the adviser needs to make a living too.

Yes, a lot of ppl in this thread play options/pennies/warrants and this is not a good place to get financial/retirement planning advice haha. lots of good gambling ideas tho.

John Oliver had an interesting segment on this awhile back and the issue with fees/retirement plans, worth a watch.

adoo and CCity Zero like this.
  4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I think the most important thing is limiting/lowering risk if your portfolio is decent and then locking in consistent returns (as you get closer to retiring) - It sounds like you're already trending that way - so that's really good.

I had some friends/coworkers in somewhat risky plays that were fairly close to retirement and didn't ride it out last year, it messed up their plans to say the least. Depending where your account(s) are they might have free programs/advisors to see what they can offer - possibly leading up to a paid program etc.. Anyway if you're pretty close and not looking to make some big returns but more looking to maintain steady returns they should be able to help a lot with that.

Definitely not financial advice - but I think you have a good plan going so far.

5. adoo

adoo Member

my uncle worked as one of those financial advisors for Schwab, he has said Oliver's criticism on the industry is spot on,
    in particular advisors encouraging young clients (eg school teachers) to go for that annuity spin.

my uncle is retired from schwab, collecting a Schwab pension and Social Security, and has a sizeable Roth IRA.
    for the most part, he adheres that 95/5 asset allocation plan

w a slight modification. he also
    • sells cover call on the many shares of Schwab stocks he already owns (both in his regular / Roth IRA accounts); net/net, his Schwab stock holdings have been generating ~>7% income (dividend + premiums from selling cover calls) annually. that's pretty good, w no fee. i'll match that against any ever-eroding annuities out there
    • buys/sells CALL / PUT option spreads on Schwab, playing the quarterly earnings runs

#16865 adoo, Jul 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    saitou and noscrusir like this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Wait, what?

saitou and CCity Zero like this.
  7. adoo

adoo Member

a sound fundamental play---beneficiary of re-opening----w a great technical set up.
    [​IMG]
    TA depicts a emphatic bounce off the low trading channel, a doji confirmed by 3 white soldiers; in the process, has just reversed the recent down trend

sold a bullish PUT spread,
    • Aug 185/175 strike, for a net credit of $5.55, which is my max profit, defining my max risk to be $4.45

saitou likes this.
  8. adoo

adoo Member

too, the lagging indicator, Parabolic SAR, has also just confirmed a change in direction for DIS

9. adoo

adoo Member

TSM chart looks ripe for a pop, playing the 7-17 ERS run
    • the 3 white soldiers convincingly depict a pop off a 4 mo base

[​IMG]
    sold Aug 125/115 Bullish PUT spread, collecting a premium of $4.5, defining my max risk of $5.5

#16869 adoo, Jul 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
  10. adoo

adoo Member

@saitou and SPAC enthusiasts

SUNL, an already profitable co, that provides a solar energy financing platform, currently trading ~ 10,
    agrees to be acquired by hedge fund / PE (Apollo Group) via a spac​

saitou likes this.
  11. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

IVAN looks interesting but already ran up. Rumored to be acquiring SES, Singapore based solid state battery maker that GM invested in April.

https://www.bloombergquint.com/busi...s-said-to-agree-to-go-public-via-ivanhoe-spac
    https://techcrunch.com/2021/04/19/g...ent-into-lithium-metal-battery-developer-ses/

Not buying here, but price may die down if no news comes out for a week +, presenting a buy opportunity. added to watchlist. GM, hyundai, kia, geely, all huge OEMs.

edit: ugh warrrants jumped another 30% today. hmm. stay disciplined.

#16871 saitou, Jul 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  12. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I only get financial advice from three sources.

1) Stocktwits
    2) Reddit
    3) Webull comment section

I’ve made a killing!

13. adoo

adoo Member

CCity Zero and Sajan like this.
  14. Sajan

Sajan Member

CCity Zero likes this.
  15. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

Pretty good sale today. Might look at APPS @ $59 based on some of these forum posts.

saitou likes this.
  16. adoo

adoo Member

T I M B E R !

[​IMG]

had 3 large bullish CALL spreads, took profit on them.
    also had sold bullish PUT spreads that are way in-the-money; most probably will expire worthless tomorrow

new play is on NFLX;
    opened large bearish PUT spread, partially financed by a bearish CALL spread​

#16876 adoo, Jul 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  17. adoo

adoo Member

#16877 adoo, Jul 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  18. Sajan

Sajan Member

there are only so many eyeballs for all these streaming services.
    netflix was enjoying most of them when it was the only player in town. now with every major network streaming stuff, it's inevitable they are going to be hurting. i cancelled my netflix a few months ago once I got free hbo (via ATT) and free disney (via verizon mobile).

CCity Zero likes this.
  19. Sajan

Sajan Member

@saitou
    - started back up a position in CTXR at 1.9
    - started a position in SOFI commons at 15.7
    - might start a position on monday in ATNF.

saitou likes this.
  20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, this is a great point on the competition - and also a reminder I should probably cancel mine.