1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MUSIC]What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Jun 1, 2007.

1. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Yeah, I understand the "nerd" aspect and being passionate about all-things guitar related, but it's a little off-putting, for me at least, to see famous, uber-successful & wealthy musicians using their celebrity status to profit off the sale of instruments, or using social media to simply promote themselves when they could be making music or drawing attention to a cause bigger than themselves.

Maybe that's just the jealous listener in me. Or maybe those people really have no other interests and something about that is telegraphed in their playing???

I totally get you about the "feeling" and like the little bit of Khrungbin I've listened to.

This is probably a terrible example, as they're two different subjects and styles, but I would much rather look at something like the first painting, which is loose and expressive (among other things), than the second, which I believe to be skilled & precise, but completely characterless.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Disclaimer: My wife paints and would agree with what I'm trying to say, but has told me in the past that I'm weird for liking the first guy's paintings.

------------------------

Sorry I disappeared and couldn't respond right away. It's been a crazy week. You'll laugh, but I had done a little research and shopping for an appropriate beginner guitar and amp before you made your post. An Affinity Strat and Boss Katana 50 is exactly what I was leaning towards. Both will be wasted on me, but I appreciate the confirmation; they're now on their way to me. :eek:

Now excuse me, I need to seek out those guys I criticized above so I can learn WTF I would like to do and how to do it.

dobro1229 likes this.
  2. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Yes! I actually was going to post a link to that video and another version she did with Jeff Beck, and yet another that she did with her "regular" guitarist, but the sound quality sucked on the other versions. All are worth checking out tho.

I think Joe is at his best when he's doing his own singing.

He certainly sounds good and lively in the second video, although the sound quality of that recording isn't all that either.

I imagine seeing him live is a totally different experience. But I'm poor myself and a $10,000 cruise just ain't happening with me on board. :(

Kevooooo likes this.
  3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This is like the best time ever to buy an inexpensive guitar that sounds as good as anything the pros play so it’s hard to go wrong. I’ll say that it’s hard to get your money back though if you ever sell though or trade up because guitar players are famously shallow about brands etc. I always say the best bang for your buck is a Mexican Strat and the Blues Jr. amp. Both are as good as anything as someone like Mayer or Clapton play (guitar nerds will hem and haw about that little bit extra chime you get or whatever) but you’ll get something that’ll always hold it’s value and moderately affordable. I think Strats sort of play themselves too.

Enjoy the shredding.

FrontRunner likes this.
  4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

A little more than 1/3 of a playlist that I made that has 75 songs - 25 each by the Kinks, Rolling Stones, and the Who - I call it "The" playlist - songs I have listened to so far:
    The Kinks - You Really Got Me, All Day and All of the Night, Till the End of the Day, A Well Respected Man, Where Have All the Good Times Gone, Picture Book, Lola, Tired of Waiting for You, Dead End Street, and Dedicated Follower of Fashion
    The Rolling Stones - Satisfaction, Paint It Black, Mother's Little Helper, Gimme Shelter, Get Off My Cloud, Sympathy for the Devil, Brown Sugar, Miss You, Happy, and She's a Rainbow
    The Who - My Generation, I Can't Explain, The Kids Are Alright, Substitute, I Can See for Miles, The Magic Bus, Pinball Wizard, The Real Me, Baba O'Riley, and Who Are You.

peleincubus and FrontRunner like this.
  5. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I wish I had heard about Reverb's used section before I pulled the trigger. I would probably have a much nicer guitar on the way...

I thought I might upgrade around the holidays, but from the progress reports I've seen beginning guitarists post online, it's gonna be a while before that makes any sense.

Thanks. I'll let you know when I put out my first LP. Will probably be any day now. ;)

dobro1229 likes this.
  6. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

some highlights from todays housecleaning playlist...

Manny Ramirez likes this.
  7. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

8. Manny Ramirez

More of "The" playlist - songs listened to:

The Kinks - Death of a Clown, Don't Forget to Dance, Waterloo Sunset, Sunny Afternoon, Destroyer, A Rock 'n Roll Fantasy, Apeman, Come Dancing, 20th Century Man, and Victoria
    The Rolling Stones - Street Fighting Man, Undercover of the Night, Angie, Jumpin' Jack Flash, You Can't Always Get What You Want, Hang Fire, Beast of Burden, Emotional Rescue, 19th Nervous Breakdown, and Waiting on a Friend
    The Who - Eminence Front, A Man in a Purple Dress, 5:15, Squeeze Box, I'll Be Back, Athena, Behind Blue Eyes, You Better You Bet, Sea and Sand, and How Many Friends

peleincubus and Rashmon like this.
  9. Manny Ramirez

Finished up the playlist with these 15 final songs:

The Kinks - Do You Remember Walter?, Powerman, Strangers, Misfits, and Better Things
    The Rolling Stones - Wild Horses, Shattered, The Last Time, Tumbling Dice, and Mixed Emotions
    The Who - Mike Post Theme, Bargain, All This Music Must Fade, Love Reign O'er Me, and Won't Get Fooled Again

peleincubus and Rashmon like this.
  10. Manny Ramirez

I have a couple of new albums that I need to get through (there are four of them) and then I am going to do the next thing which is the trio project. I am going to pick out a variety of artists that are on the ipod and listen to 3 of my favorite albums by them. This will mainly be hard rock, heavy metal, prog rock, power pop, and fusion. Some of the artists include Slayer, Metallica, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Big Star, Yes, Return to Forever, Judas Priest, Cream, Rush, The Doors, and Queen among others.

peleincubus likes this.
  11. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Been starting to listen to a couple Black Flag albums for the first time. Up until recently I've only heard Damaged. Kind of pleasantly surprised how much I like it. I guess at some point they became pretty good musicians. I would go as far to even call some of the songs "sophisticated" in their arrangements.

#13011 DCkid, Jul 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    Manny Ramirez likes this.
  12. Manny Ramirez

You have to listen to "My War" if you haven't done so already. Pretty revolutionary for its time, the 2nd side pretty much created the blueprint for grunge.

#13012 Manny Ramirez, Jul 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    peleincubus and DCkid like this.
  13. GIGO

GIGO Member

14. GIGO

GIGO Member

15. Manny Ramirez

Ten Years After - A Space in Time
    Steve Miller Band - Book of Dreams

peleincubus, Rashmon and K mf G like this.
  16. Manny Ramirez

Foghat - self-titled
    The Kinks - Misfits

peleincubus likes this.
  17. Manny Ramirez

Today is start of trilogy day - starting with a band near and dear to my heart:
    Pink Floyd:

Dark Side of the Moon
    Animals
    The Wall

peleincubus and FrontRunner like this.
  18. lpbman

lpbman Member

Not sure why, but on a Silverchair kick.

Still can't wrap my head around Frogstomp being written when Johns was 13. Crazy for such a great album.

FrontRunner likes this.
  19. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Just got a pretty good deal on a Mexican Strat off Reverb. Can't wait for it to get here. I've been playing my acoustic everyday for the past two years and and decided I needed an electric.

dobro1229 likes this.
  20. Manny Ramirez

One other one for today in Bruce Springsteen:

Born to Run
    Darkness on the Edge of Town
    Born in the USA

peleincubus likes this.