1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green versus Cade Cunningham

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I completely agree. Aesthetically I miss 90s basketball for various reasons. Was just a more rugged game, and defense was mandatory back then. BBall has evolved. Now guys will try to convince you that 40% 3s are better than 50% 2's and then leave out all game theory and context. Its become a game of chucking and some guys are better at it than others, but fundamental basketball isnt as strong as it used to be. I like the high scoring, its exciting and deep 3 point shots are pretty cool too, but everything is a foul now and players are coddled way too much.

Grant was a dog. One of my faves as a freshman in high school, so I have a soft spot there. His body broke down on him when he could have been mentioned in GOAT convos, and still made it into the HOF. Solid dude. If thats what Cade will become then he should be AOK. I just see Cade as a more relaxed - "cerebral" player. Not a downhill attacking force. A setup man. He can get his, but I question if he has the tenacity and grit to overcome athletic deficiencies in the NBA especially when relegated to playing off ball. I keep hearing Luka too - well Luka was breaking grown ankles in professional leagues when he was 15.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

KPJ is a much smarter player than Green... so he'd go in the category with Mobley, Cade, and Suggs.

There's just 2 kinds of basketball fans, those who prefer athleticism and flash to skill and smart play and those who prefer skill and smart play to athleticism and flash.

Neither is necissarily right, it's just two preferences.

To me, watching Harden or CP3 disect defenses is more fun than watching flashy Zach Levine dunks or Jalen Green hang in the air seemingly forever on a layup.. Again, just a mater of opinion.

3. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

I haven't watched those video breakdowns, but I have searched for a lot of Green highlight videos. All I've found are his G-league games where he a) makes a pull up 3pters, b) dunks in transition, or c) dribbles fast past someone and scores. Have you found any video where he does something truly unusual? Some players you can tell from one play that they are special. Like LeBron has handles that should be those of a guard, yet you look at him and he's 6 inches taller and 50lb heavier. Like Curry sprints around a pick at full speed spins and makes a 3pt shot most players wouldn't even take. Like Vince Carter would seemingly go up to lay the ball in and then dunk with his entire arm through the hoop. It's hard to get excited just about someone's perspective on old plays when you can't see in on the court.

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. Caesar

Caesar Member

Well no, i don't think he's going to change the game like LeBron or Curry or MJ/Kobe. If he was that prospect, he'd be unanimous #1. Doesn't mean he can't be on DWade's level or Drexlers level or Harden's level career wise. There's not too many guys you can pick out a physical attribute or skill or combination that stands out through all of basketball history. Those guys are extremely rare, and it's why "unicorns" are so enticing as prospects(Mobley).
    If there was something very special to me, it would be his first step. He's going to blow by everyone, but he doesn't have massive mitts like MJ, nor a 6'11.5 wingspan, so he will have to tighten his handle. 2nd, is also his young MJ like in air body control. Again, he just doesn't have the hands to do the things MJ could do, but he can get on that Kyrie level of crafty + hang time finishes. I think people are undervaluing him as an athlete with comments like "guards like him are dime a dozen". They absolutely are not
    Things like heat checks and catching fire like the best scorers remains to be seen, but that's something that can set him apart as well. We also can't measure his drive and killer instinct just yet.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Was the legit face of NBA for a time.

Could have been Lebron before Lebron.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Green's taste in women is GOAT level.

7. intergalactic

Thanks, I'll take a look at his first step again. Kyrie has a special handle, right there with Chris Paul as the best in the game. It took me a little while to realize it was more than just him being a ball hog, but that he was actually comfortable holding onto it in a crazy amount of traffic.

Caesar likes this.
  8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

That poster has a history of judging athletes based, a lot of the time, off nothing. It's a shame because occasionally there are actually decent takes sprinkled in there.

By and large it seems like many people say that Jalen Green has a decent basketball IQ about him, he's also young and has more professional experience than almost anyone else in the draft. Those are all good things as far as his development goes. Nothing to see there on that take, IMO.

From a totally superficial take, based on speaking alone, I would say that Mobley may be the least smart. We all know how deceiving that is though, and how those hot takes mean nothing.

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Brilliant take, the kid that maintained a 4.0 GPA is the "least smart".

Good job.

BamBam, roslolian and D-rock like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

And raised by a basketball coach who values humility.

Soft spoken doesn't equal lack of intelligent.

Speak softly but carry a big stick may just apply.

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I think that you may be underrating Prime Grant Hill, who was unguardable.

When I see Cunningham, I see a premium scoring SG who is a very good and willing passer. I don’t see a PG or a ball dominant SG.

I can see Cunningham taking his team on his shoulders at the end of close games, a la James Harden … but … I think Cunningham would work well in an offense as a SG with a traditional PG.

Comparing Green to Cunningham, Green has to work harder for his points.

Cunningham gets his points easier given his size and skills.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't see the Middleton comparisons Cade is a much better playmaker.

roslolian likes this.
  17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Middleton has been a good passer for years. He averaged 5.4 assists this year, nearly equal to Jrue and Giannis. He doesn't pound the ball, but makes winning plays.

18. CCorn

CCorn Member

I think Mobleys floor is Moses Malone. But he could also easily be Shaq on offense and Dream on defense.

19. intergalactic

Thanks. I see above average handle, quick release on his jump shot, good body control on contested layups, and better athleticism than the other g-league players. He should be pretty good, but still seems like anybody's guess of whether he is franchise player material.

D-rock and No Worries like this.
  20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Congrats - that is truly one of the worst comps I have ever seen. You can't compare a center that is the EXACT opposite of a center with a power game to the best power center of all time in Shaq. That's like comparing a Porsche to a diesel big rig - they are both effective at what they do, but a Porsche(even a tall one), can't be a diesel...like, not ever.

Dobbizzle likes this.